The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 2, 2017, 07:30 AM   #1
Lohman446

School me on trail cameras (please) :)

I decided picking up a couple would be nice. At least give me an idea of what is moving when. I intend to start with one or two and, knowing me, end with a many more (I tend to go overboard).

I am guessing I prefer the no / low glow flashes.

I am guessing that while some level of MP is nice that some of these are just overkill for their intended task - I have no intention of blowing these up to life size.

What should I be looking for? Any particular brands to consider / stay away from. While theft is always a concern this is a fairly traveled area so its not a major concern.

Is there an actual practical use difference between those I am seeing for $70 to $80 and the ones that are twice that? What features should I be looking for that I don't even know I want?
Old August 2, 2017, 07:41 AM   #2
Old Stony

I keep out a bunch of the cheapie Moultrie's and they do okay for me. They run quite a while on AA batteries and don't give me too much trouble. The only problem I've had is warranty...if they die you are probably better off to just throw them away. I find them generally around 60 bucks apiece on sales.
I've found that it's not a good idea to buy a bunch at one time. I like to keep some extras around, but for warranty you have to keep the receipts where you purchased them, and the warranty starts from that point. I probably have 4 or 5 that are past the warranty, and are still in the bubble wrap in my garage.
Their picture quality is ok, but just figure them as throwaways, like a lot of imported stuff.
Old August 3, 2017, 05:29 PM   #3
std7mag

Generally i get the cheaper Moultrie or Wildgame Inovations.
I stay away from the ones that the whole face opens fron the side. As they tend to be water/rain proof for about 15 minutes.
Old August 3, 2017, 06:19 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

Having owned several dozen over the last fifteen years I'd have to recommend the Cuddeback Silver series camera. Super fast trigger speed, video/multi pic setting, variable pixel settings, long battery life, and industry leading warranty for any camera in this price range. I've owned many different brands over the years, but these are hands down the biggest bang for the buck. You'd have to go to a camera costing three-four times as much to get a better camera. I usually have eight or nine out at a time on my property. No missed shots due to slow trigger speed and great concealability also.
Old August 5, 2017, 02:53 PM   #5
Don Fischer

Never owned one and probably never will. Read to many people that set them out and they got stolen. I don't know maybe about $100? Would you tack a $100 bill to a tree and go away and leave it? Don't have any idea how you could hook it to a tree securely?

I have to admit now and then I see a really nice photo taken on one of them.
Old August 6, 2017, 04:23 PM   #6
langenc

Too bad so many are thieves...

I have a neighbor who had his tree stand stolen. It was waaayy back in the boonies. Whoever got had to be planning on stealing anything they came upon and had the tools to do so. He had ot cabelled to a good sized tree. Thief had to have good cutters along and wasnt just out for a ride and stumbled on it..