The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 1, 2013, 10:55 AM   #1
mongoslow

blackhawk question

guy i work with said he looked at a super blachawk in a .30 carbine his friend had for sale, i told him ruger only built the .30 on a reguler blackhawk frame, i had never heard of one being on the super blackhawk frame but he swears its a super. am i wrong has ruger built some that i have not heard about ?
Old February 1, 2013, 11:45 AM   #2
mcb66

Not sure, but it seems like there were some of the Old Model 3 screw .30 carbines with the Super Blackhawk features. I have a very early one (1968) and it is just a standard Blackhawk. I do believe there were some oddballs made in the early 70's though.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

As far as I know, the frames are the same. What made the original Super Blackhawk "super" was the non fluted cylinder, a steel ejector rod housing (as opposed to aluminium), a different hammer and trigger, and the most noticable, a different grip frame, the one with the squareback "dragoon" trigger guard. Also (as far as I know), the Super was only in .44 Mag.

Today, you can get a Super Blackhawk with a round trigerguard, and a fluted cylinder, as well as the original style.
Old February 1, 2013, 04:38 PM   #4
rclark

What 44AMP said. The cylinder frames (and cylinders) are exactly the same BH or SBH with the exception of the flattops like the .44Spec BH.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:31 PM   #5
mongoslow

okay thanks for the replys but still the .30 has never been listed as a super blackhawk right? just the .41 and the .44 mags .
Old February 2, 2013, 01:37 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Just look on the frame, on the left side below the cylinder window. It is marked with the name of the gun. The official name. It will say either Blackhawk, or Super Blackhawk. Guns made after the 1973/4 lockwork change will say "New Model" as well.

Vaqueros will say they are Vaqueros. There was only one model, and it has a (new model) Blackhawk size cylinder frame. There is no "old model" Vaquero.

But there is a New Vaquero. And it is marked "New Vaquero". These guns are NOT built on a Blackhawk size frame. They are smaller, being very close to the dimensions of the Colt SAA.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:56 PM   #7
oldgunsmith

I don't know about the .30 carbine Blackhawks, but both of my old mod. 41 Blackhawks are the same length cyl. and frame as my old mod. .44 Super Blackhawks. The.357 frames & cylinders are shorter.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:38 PM   #8
btmj

partially off topic... but...

I remember shooting (ages ago) a Blackhawk in 30 carbine, and it was extremely loud, noticeably louder than a 44 mag. It also made an impressive fireball at the muzzle, easily visible in daylight.

Is there alternate 30 carbine ammo with a faster powder? I mean it seemed to me that half the powder was burning in front of the muzzle.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:15 AM   #9
oldgunsmith

The .30 carbine in a revolver sounds like a higher pitch "crack" that hurts my ear drums more than some others that are actually louder but not as high pitched.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:24 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Factory loaded .30 caliber Carbine ammo is intended for rifles, specifically, the M1 Carbine. Loud, heck yes, and a big flash, because it's coming out of a barrel more than a foot shorter than what it was intended for.

Plus, the muzzle is much closer to your face....