The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 18, 2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Gunner0352

Broken sling stud fix?

Hi, I'm hoping someone here may have some advice. I recently won a Howa 1500 300 win mag at an auction. My first 300. Anyway, I was excited and finally got to the range yesterday. I picked up a harris bipod on the way up and hooked it up. Everything seemed to go well, aside from a few tweaks like having to straighten the scope a bit. Anyway, when i got home and pulled off the bipod I notice the sling lug sticking out slightly from the foreend. I'm not sure if I may have tightened the bipod down too tight, or just the power of the win mag. I sent about 35 rounds down range.

So, I tried to screw it back in and it "clicked" back up into place, but it's not tight. Is there a fix for this? Oh yeah, it's a synthetic hogue over mold stock.

I disassembled it to check out the inside of the stock but didn't really see anything. I've fired many weapons, but i'm no gun smith. Anyone have an idea? Am I screwed or is there a fix?

I appreciate all replies.

Thanks, Gunner
Old April 19, 2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Scorch

You didn't say whether this is a wood stock or plastic.

For wood- Take the stud out, wax it with paste wax. Mix up some epoxy and put it in the sling swivel stud hole in the stock, then screw the stud in. Make sure you stop when the hole is square to the center of the stock. Let it cure, unscrew the stud and clean up any leaks. Reinstall the stud. Let it sit for a day or so then reinstall the bipod.

For plastic- epoxies don't do so well on plastics. Remove the sling stud, find a small piece of plastic to help fill the hole, heat the stud warm enough to melt the plastic and screw it into the stock.
Old April 20, 2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Gunner0352

Yes, It's synthetic. Thanks for the advice Scorch. Do you think that will hold well afterward?
Old April 20, 2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Pahoo

I don't claim to be a smith, but;

I have repaired and installed quite a few in wood and synthetic. I am also aware of what your WinMag can do. Just can't help thinking that the BiPod mounting won't stand up. That stud is really taking a beating. I could be wrong and would probably contact the factory and see what they say. I know that many higher power rifles, don't use a screw stud and instead, use a bolt stud that goes all the way through the forend. Perhaps your stock could accomodate one of these. It's a tough call ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 20, 2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Gunner0352

Hi Pahoo,

I have already left a message for Howa, they're reply was to find a gun smith.. hahaha.. lots of help there huh?. Using a bolt on sounds more solid. But I wonder if I could find one small enough to not interfere with the floating barrel, but also strong enough to withstand the beating of the Win mag.

Thanks for the response
Old April 20, 2011, 12:58 PM   #6
PawPaw

Quote:
But I wonder if I could find one small enough to not interfere with the floating barrel, but also strong enough to withstand the beating of the Win mag.
Sure, there's normally room in the barrel channel to add a washer and a bolt-type stud.

Quote:
I have already left a message for Howa, they're reply was to find a gun smith.. hahaha.. lots of help there huh?.
Actually, that's not bad advise and would be my advise to you. A gunsmith has probably seen this symptom before and has a cure already established. Besides, it's a good idea to have a working relationship with a gunsmith. You never know when that will come in handy.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 20, 2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Pahoo

Quote:
Sure, there's normally room in the barrel channel to add a washer and a bolt-type stud.
I would suspect you can but not familiar with your stock. I know that some of my Savages come with the through-bolt type at the forend and wood screw type on the butt-stock. You may have to counter-sink for the nut and washer. I pretty much use the Uncle-Mikes. Unkle Mikes, makes one that has a bolt or machine screw and a threaded flush bushing that threads onto the bolt on the inside of the forend, followed by threaded knurled nut that sort of secures the whole thing.
This is not easy to explain as I'm looking at one on top of this desk. .....

You know, while you are at it, give Uncle-Mike a call and I'll just bet they have a great solution ......

Be Safe !!!
Old April 20, 2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Pahoo

Gunner,
Check this out. Not exactly what I have but will give you a good idea. Also, they have an applications chart that might be of additinal assist. ....

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/s...ulk_packs.html

Be Safe !!!
Old April 20, 2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Gunner0352

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give that a shot. The through hole bolt definitely seems like the best plan of action here. I appreciate your responces.
Old April 21, 2011, 07:30 AM   #10
cecILL

Gunner, once fixed, get rid of the bipod. Get some sand bags. The swivel is for a sling.
Old April 27, 2011, 06:26 PM   #11
wncchester

"I have already left a message for Howa, they're reply was to find a gun smith.. hahaha.. lots of help there huh?"

In their defense, it's likely they would think anyone asking how to fix it is unlikely to have the proper tools or skills to fix it. ??

I would not use a sling stud anchored bipod on a heavy recoiling rifle. I lathe turned a grade 8 bolt to make a sturdy bipod stud for my .30-06, only use a sling on the factory stud.
Old April 28, 2011, 11:33 AM   #12
Scorch

Bipods on heavy recoil rifles (most any rifle really) typically need a firmer anchor than just a sling swivel stud scewed into the stock. When I build a rifle, the front sling swivel is threaded into a piece of steel rod or strap 1/4" thick that I bed into the inside of the forearm. That will hold just about any bipod and handle recoil well. If the customer asks for a sling stud for a carry sling, I will add a second sling swivel stud into the same piece of steel about 2"-3" farther back.

Tags
howa , sling stud , stock