The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 24, 2017, 04:42 PM   #1
Nathan

AR Triggers

Probably should be triggers in general....

Is a newer shooter better off learning a stock trigger for a few 100 or 1000 rounds, or should they jump on the upgrade train right away?

I ask because a stock mil spec trigger imo, is quite shootable until you get some harder goals.....even then, the 5.56 can only shoot so well.

It is really about matching ammo, barrel, trigger and optic.

Examples of matching groups:
XM193
Std 4150 CL chf barrel
Enhanced mil spec like ALG or PSA
Open sights or Red Dot

$20-$30 a box match ammo
$150-$250 better Q bbl....Faxon, Ballistic Advantage, many other $150-$250 bbl
4.5-5.5 lb crisp trigger...POF, Rise RA 140, ALG ACT, etc
10x max magnified decent optic

Best Q reloads
$250-$500 best Q bbls
Geissele hi speed, triggertech, ARGold, etc
20x optic

How do you choose where to be at triggerwise?
Old December 24, 2017, 10:20 PM   #2
marine6680

A new shooter will not be able to take advantage of match ammo, target barrels, and high end triggers...

That being said, having all those things can mean that they can be more confident that any group issues are their own.

But in the end... For a general AR setup...

An enhanced milspec trigger is probably the way to go. Smooth enough to not be a hindrance, without breaking the bank.

If you can shoot a milspec trigger well, then you will shoot most triggers well.

Once you hit a wall and stop improving, look into seeing if it is something else holding you back... Lack of inherent accuracy of the rifle usually.
Old December 25, 2017, 07:19 AM   #3
Mobuck

For $30-60, I'd go directly to a trigger upgrade. I shot bolt action rifles for decades before owning an AR so why would I tolerate an 8# drag and scrape trigger on an AR?
Old December 25, 2017, 06:43 PM   #4
jugornot

The trigger should match the intention of use. My ARs are set up for target work, they got trigger mods right away. For a basic rifle the trigger is OK. I use a RRA varmint 2 stage in both of my ARs. But triggers are very personal. I like a lighter trigger.

Bill
Old December 25, 2017, 09:08 PM   #5
agtman

Keep your stock/mil-spec trigger until you've shot your AR enough to be able to appreciate the difference when you upgrade to a high quality trigger, like one of Geisele's units.

And when you do upgrade, don't go cheap. Buy right once, and cry not at all.

Some years back, I made the mistake of running RRA 2-stage triggers in the two ARs I used as beaters and for tactical training courses, and both eventually went t.u. One under 500-rds; the other about 1200-rds. Junk.

Since then, I've had no problems with Geisele's SSAs and SSA-Es, and none with the two MBT-2 units from LaRue.
Old December 26, 2017, 08:17 AM   #6
rebs

I have two RRA two stage triggers and have fired a few thousand rounds with both and both are still working fine.
Old December 26, 2017, 09:39 AM   #7
Road_Clam

I have my "plinker" lower set up with a standard cheap Anderson millspec trigger, and I swapped out the heavy 7# spring to a 4.5#. Reason in my situation is I shoot High Power and the rules state a minimum 4.5# trigger. I want all my AR's to have the same pull weight for consistiency. That being said when I switch from my millspec 4.5# lower to my competition match lower (which uses a Geissele SSA-E and a 4.5# spring) the difference from harsh, gritty long pull (millspec) to the super smooth crisp 2 stage Geissele pull feel is substantial.
Old December 26, 2017, 10:25 AM   #8
turtlehead

Life is too short for crappy triggers.
Old December 26, 2017, 09:07 PM   #9
bfoosh006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeasg5HNbnw
Old January 5, 2018, 09:04 AM   #10
MagnumWill

Go grab an ALG ACT and don’t look back. Having a good trigger helps foster good habits. For $60 it’s well worth the price, and unless you decide to start doing long range precision target shooting, you won’t feel compelled to replace it.

I’ve also taken up reloading recently, and I’ve found out that making your own ammunition is a quick way to shrink groups with consistent powder and good bullets. I think there is a lot of effort of the internet these days to buy a relatively expensive AR15 and then expect better performance shooting XM855 surplus. I don’t know how much research you’ve done, but my favorite factory load is IMI 77gr Razor Core ammunition. Between it and an ALG ACT trigger, you’ll have much better feedback when at the range.
Old January 5, 2018, 09:13 AM   #11
Fine Figure of a Man

LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger
Old January 5, 2018, 10:14 PM   #12
GLK

I am a life long shooter about to turn 61 years old. Personally I can't enjoy shooting unless I am shooting quality ammo through a accurate barrel along with a repeatable crisp light trigger. I use a old original run Geissele SSA and 2 newer SSA-E's in my AR platform guns and they are perfect for me. Now having said that I would never pay over $170.00 let alone MSRP for one, I purchased my two SSA-E's from Primary Arms on sale for $168.00 ea delivered. I should have bought 4 at that price .
Old January 6, 2018, 01:04 PM   #13
ed308

Is a newer shooter better off learning a stock trigger for a few 100 or 1000 rounds, or should they jump on the upgrade train right away?

I ask because a stock mil spec trigger imo, is quite shootable until you get some harder goals.....even then, the 5.56 can only shoot so well.

It is really about matching ammo, barrel, trigger and optic.

I felt the same way when I purchases an AR10 for hunting. I could not get the rifle to group. I installed a muzzle break which helped. Then switched out the trigger to a good single stage trigger. Those two changes reduced my groups tight enough for hunting. I have 15 ARs and maybe only one has a milspec trigger. Most have either Timney AR10 or AR15 triggers installed. But I've switched out four or five to LaRues MBT. The MBT is my current favorite based on price and performance. When purchased on sale for $99, it's hard to find a better trigger for more than twice the price. As good as a Geisselle IMO.
Old January 6, 2018, 07:44 PM   #14
GLK

Quote:
When purchased on sale for $99, it's hard to find a better trigger for more than twice the price. As good as a Geisselle IMO.
I have heard that from more than a few people, I have several of LaRue's mounts I really should give the MBT a try.
Old January 6, 2018, 08:16 PM   #15
RC20

I like good triggers, they don't have to be Timney of the Gs.

When I was shooting 223, the best one for the price I though was the RRA two stage chrome. Nice and usable at the same time.

My brother had an aftermarket on a gun (Timney maybe) he liked the RRA and sold the Timney and got the RRA.
Old January 7, 2018, 09:54 AM   #16
lokidansk

For my bench and varmint ARs I use RRA National Match 2 stag, Range and truck guns get PSA EPTs. Maybe not top of the line but much much better than MILSEC.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body......... but rather to skid in sideways with a cigar in one hand & a Scotch in the other......... body thoroughly used up & totally worn out.........screaming 'woo hoo -- what a ride !!'
Old January 7, 2018, 06:18 PM   #17
hdwhit

Quote:
jugornot wrote:
The trigger should match the intention of use. ... For a basic rifle the trigger is OK.
That's been my experience.

When I get a new-to-me gun, I spend a little time with it in the configuration it has come to me in so that I have a baseline of experience from which I can then prioritize upgrades and improvements.
Old January 7, 2018, 08:03 PM   #18
RC20

Without a good trigger the rest is very very difficult to make a difference.

For hunting? 6 lbs or more is fine and I did it.

Target, need a decent trigger as a base.
Old January 8, 2018, 07:51 AM   #19
LilHog

I just have an enhanced polished trigger and a set of JP springs in mine. I'm very happy with it's performance. Very smooth with a light pull and a crisp break. It's all I require and it was $42 to achieve this.
Old January 8, 2018, 08:20 AM   #20
Skadoosh

As was mentioned before, life is too short for crappy triggers. My personal rule of thumb is if I am upgrading from stock to a better, more accurate barrel, the trigger gets upgraded too. Even my duty rifle has a $260 trigger.
Old January 8, 2018, 05:45 PM   #21
Stats Shooter

I have a Laure MBT....In a Danial Defense DDM4 with surfire brake, and and Aimpoint Comp M4S red dot and the 3x magnifier. I have a varmint/match AR with Geissele national match 2S (2lbs) that I use for 300-600 yard matches.

The MBT is a great compromise trigger. I don't mean that you are compromising quality...Just that the cost/pull weight/quality are a great value. With the light springs that come with it, I could shoot a match with it and probably do pretty well such that the trigger wouldn't hold me back much. On the other hand, I can set it up like a defensive trigger with the heavier springs and have a very nice 2s trigger.

I had a thread on this very question a while back, and while Im no novice and my match rifle is an honest 1 MOA at 600 yards, I was looking for a good balance for my defensive AR between a safe defensive trigger that wasn't a crappy mil-spec. The MBT fit that bill nicely.
Old January 8, 2018, 05:59 PM   #22
stagpanther

Quote:
I just have an enhanced polished trigger and a set of JP springs in mine. I'm very happy with it's performance. Very smooth with a light pull and a crisp break. It's all I require and it was $42 to achieve this.
Good set-up, I've done several of these combo's when I couldn't afford an uber-trigger. BTW--for a few bucks more get a KAW adjustable grip screw and you have a great way to reduce over-travel, if you want.