The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 19, 2018, 02:28 PM   #1
simonrichter

Service / issued / duty handgun vs. privately used model

The ones carrying a duty weapon or are at least trained on a particular model (LE, AF, NG etc.): Do you use the same or a different model in civil life?
Old January 19, 2018, 02:32 PM   #2
simonrichter

To make a start, we are trained on the G17 in the Ready Reserve and I use the very same model privately. Not very much of a choice here in Austria, though.
Old January 19, 2018, 06:06 PM   #3
UncleEd

Quite a few U.S. police departments
give their officers some choices as to
what handguns they can carry.

I think Chicago, by providing an arms
allowance to the officers, lets them pick
from a list of autos.

In effect, the officers actually own the
handguns.
Old January 19, 2018, 06:12 PM   #4
nanney1

Range Officer I met a couple of weeks ago carries an issued Glock 17 as his duty weapon for the Sheriff's Dept. Carries a G19 as his off duty, and was what he was wearing at the range.
Old January 19, 2018, 06:36 PM   #5
wmg1299

Officers at my department are issued either Glock 22's or Glock 17's for duty. Most cops carry the Glock 26 or 27 off duty and as a backup, but officers can carry pretty much anything in .380 or above off duty, as long as it comes from an approved manufacturer. Officers with small children in the home often leave their duty guns at work, and carry something with an external safety off-duty. I carried a Beretta Px4 storm while my kids were young.
Old February 1, 2018, 09:23 PM   #6
Tom-R2

I've only worked for smaller LE agencies in Ohio during my career and always had to provide my own firearm. So I carried the same firearm on and off duty most of the time, until I was able to afford to buy a few more. But during my time with a commission, I had to qualify with every pistol/revolver I wanted to carry on or off duty. Fortunately, our fireams instructor didn't have a problem working with you through multiple handguns. Some of my fulltime work was with the department of corrections, where we were issued revolvers, shotguns and sometimes a mini-14 out of the armory. We were not permitted to carry any personal weapon on duty, and corrections afforded no off duty concealed carry. I had that covered with my police commission. Now that I'm retired, as long as I do the annual requalifications on the LE side, I'm good.
Old February 1, 2018, 10:17 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

I was issued an M9.
I have never carried one outside of a combat zone.
My personal preferences are for very different things, and my daily carry is a revolver (for a time, I carried an LCP - but it's gone now).
Old February 3, 2018, 12:28 AM   #8
bamaranger

policy

Policy stated you would carry agency's issue pistol, which translated into several varieties of SIG. There was provision to carry a personal weapon, with supervisory approval, which must meet policy, so any PO handguns on duty were also SIG.

I bought an identical SIG so as to have a second gun should mine go down, or have to be surrendered for administrative reasons. I also shot my PO SIG, in my duty rig in IDPA, for more trigger time.

The duty SIG and its clone were big pistols, not easily concealed in some circumstances. Many, including myself, also bought a smaller SIG model (on the approved list) for off duty and backup carry.

All those guns had to go to the range, along with their carry system, for bi-annual quals, light and reduced light, pass fail on the spot. As a rule, the agency, nationwide, shot very well.
Old February 3, 2018, 01:35 AM   #9
Model12Win

Yes. I was/still am issued a Beretta M9 in the military. I am fond of the guns, and went on to buy my own along with the issued kit for it:

I also have a Beretta 92A1 that has several modifications and editions that I use as a dedicated home defense pistol:

I am very used to them due to my training and they fit my hand well and I find them smooth, pleasing, and reliable firearms.
Old February 3, 2018, 12:23 PM   #10
lokidansk

Nice choice with the Mora as well Modle12.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body......... but rather to skid in sideways with a cigar in one hand & a Scotch in the other......... body thoroughly used up & totally worn out.........screaming 'woo hoo -- what a ride !!'
Old February 4, 2018, 01:38 AM   #11
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidansk View Post
Nice choice with the Mora as well Modle12.
Thanks, you're my friend.
Old February 6, 2018, 03:24 PM   #12
shurshot

I'm issued a SW MP 9mm for on duty. Off duty, I carry one of my revolvers, either S&W .357 or .44 Magnum, on occassion in real hot weather (shorts), a S&W 642 snub .38. There is also a Sig 220 .45, Beretta M9 9MM and Springfield 1911A1 .45 that get carried on occassion, but primary off duty for me is a S&W Magnum revolver and a weak side pocket full of speedloaders and speedstrips.
Old February 6, 2018, 08:51 PM   #13
samsmix

On duty it's a Glock 19 w/ 124gr HST ammo.

Off duty.... I still carry my first duty weapon, a S&W M-15-3, cylinder full of 125gr +p, 2 speed loaders and a speed strip full of standard pressure 125gr gold dots.. Sometimes my LCP when circumstances dictate it.

Once in a while my wife's 10mm Glock 29...

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?