The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 19, 2016, 04:41 PM   #1
BarryLee

Tactical Vest for Home Defense

I was talking to someone recently and he shared with me that he uses one of the 5.11 tactical vests for home defense. He basically keeps it next to his bed with his handgun, extra magazines, cell phone, flashlight, first aid supplies, and a few odds & ends. His theory is that everything is in one place and that it’s easier to wake up and slip this on than to try and pick up his, gun, phone and flashlight off the night stand. A quick review of YouTube shows that at least a few people agree, but then there are also many YouTubers that think the Queen of England is a space alien.

So, I’m curious what you folks think of this strategy? Does anyone already employ it? If so what’s your set-up?

Keep in mind I’m not focusing on something you wear out in public or prepping for the zombie apocalypse, but just basic home defense.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 19, 2016, 05:03 PM   #2
lamarw

I will more likely need dog leashes to pull my dogs off whatever breaks into my home.

It sounds like the other person is expecting this to happen to them while they are in bed. It could just as well happen when they are in the shower or reading the morning newspaper.

I wonder where they have hearing protection on their "to get dressed" list.
Old August 19, 2016, 05:04 PM   #3
2damnold4this

I like the idea of keeping gear organized but I would think that if you wanted some garment that you could easily don in a home defense situation, it would be a plate carrier with body armor.
Old August 19, 2016, 08:01 PM   #4
Old Bill Dibble

When I pick up my gun I pick up a flashlight. A nice bright one. Extra magazine too. Stick a blue tooth in my ear and I'm all set.

Quote:

It sounds like the other person is expecting this to happen to them while they are in bed. It could just as well happen when they are in the shower or reading the morning newspaper.
Most people spend eight hours out of 24 in bed.
Old August 19, 2016, 08:45 PM   #5
K_Mac

While I think I would look good wearing that vest and a pair of slippers, much like OBD I generally just grab my bedside pistol (my EDC) and a good flashlight. I figure just me naked has some value as a deterrent.