The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 9, 2011, 07:50 AM   #1
regularguy

Need a strong leather belt

Hey folks. I've been wearing 2 hole leather 1-1/2" belts in my dress pants for years but they are getting hard to find and the ones I am finding are all black. I need a couple new belts and wondered what others are wearing that is strong enough for concealed carry even with a full size 1911. 1-3/4" is too big for some of my pants so it needs to be 1-1/2" or 40mm. I'm trying to avoid paying $60 for the Bianchis and Galcos but if that is really the way to go I need to know.
Old July 9, 2011, 07:55 AM   #2
trex1310

Galco and Don Hume both make nice dress gun belts. The Beltman also
makes some excellent belts. I get my Galco belts from midwayusa. I
hope this helps.
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg
Old July 9, 2011, 08:19 AM   #3
45Gunner

Several months ago I purchased two Instructor Belts, one in tan and the other in black. They are without a doubt the best pistol belt I have ever worn. Both are manufactured by Galco and have a reinforced center. The belts are adjustable so the size is always perfect regardless of the type of rig one wears. I have worn my belts (one at a time in case someone may be wondering) with two guns/holsters and ammo pouches and they have no problem handling the load, never twisting, bending, folding, or spindling. And, the best part, I have been on a diet and been losing weight. Since the belts are infinitely adjustable, I don't have to worry about running out of holes or leaving unsightly stress marks on previous holes.
NRA Life Member
Old July 9, 2011, 08:20 AM   #4
madmag

Above recommendations are good, but another option is any local gun show or even a local gun shop. A good belt will still cost a fair amount at gun shows but usually a little less than retail.
Old July 9, 2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Thespis

You might try Coronado Leather (www.coronadoleather.com). In addition to belts (one of which is doing a good job holding up my pants at the moment), they offer a line of concealed carry items (coats, vests, bags, etc.). Pricey stuff but good quality.
Old July 9, 2011, 08:43 AM   #6
MrBorland

Simply Rugged has a reputation for being just that.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/real-mans-belt/
Old July 9, 2011, 08:50 AM   #7
orionengnr

I own two made by Rafter S in MO (one black, one brown) and one from San Antonio Saddlery.

I wear one of them daily, and all work well with a real holster and a 1911.

The San Antonio Saddlery one is probably ten years old and I wear it most frequently. It is well broken in. The other two are only three years or so old.

They are not cheap, but they will probably outlive me.
Old July 9, 2011, 09:11 AM   #8
rdmallory

+1

The beltman

Have him put the holes where yo want them. The belt will last you a long time not like the cheep store bought belts. They are laminated.

Dog
Old July 9, 2011, 09:16 AM   #9
langloisandy

I make 'em....

Howdy,

I make belts (and holsters, rifle slings etc...) Usually single thickness bridle leather, solid brass buckle. 1.25" and 1.5" are the current offerings. Lead time is approx 1 week (varies with my order backlog)

These are made to order to your actual waist size (use your current belt as a template, the measurement from the buckle fold to the hole you use most).

Photos here: http://andysleather.com/?p=325

Normally $55 plus shipping, but I could work a forum/group buy if a few folks were interested. $50/free shipping.

PM me if needed.

Regards,

Andy
Old July 9, 2011, 09:36 AM   #10
JerryM

I have found that double 1.25 belts work well for whatever gun I carry, and fit my dress pants.
Mine include RafterS, but I would caution against buying from them in view of experiences of members for the last year or so. Search and you will see. I have Sparks, and Beltman 1.5" belts, but seldom wear them.
I tend to like nice belts, and do not care for anything but nice leather. Any of mine are suitable for dress or outdoors.

I have a couple of Bianchi 1.5" single layer belts that are not satisfactory for carrying a gun.

Holster makers like Sparks make great ones, but the wait may be too long for you. Here are a couple that I have noticed lately on the forums. I don't have any personal experience with them but their work looks good on the sites. It may be worth a call to them.

http://www.agcustomgunleather.com/ca...php?category=8

http://www.rgleather.freehomepage.com/catalog_2.html

Get a good double layer 1.25" belt and you will be happy, I think.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 9, 2011, 09:38 AM   #11
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by langloisandy
Usually single thickness bridle leather
Andy, not saying single thickness won't work, but most gun belts I see are double layer and sometimes with a stiffener in between the layers. My present gun belt is double thickness.
Old July 9, 2011, 10:24 AM   #12
scottycoyote

i have an instructors belt and up to this point its the best carry belt ive tried, the only drawback to it is its not a dressup belt.
Old July 9, 2011, 10:25 AM   #13
langloisandy

Single..

Mad,

Yep, many are and I make them as well. I equal the same thickness with no issues. I carry at least one Govt model and spare (plus phone) daily.

Andy
Old July 9, 2011, 10:50 AM   #14
pogo2

AG Custom in Georgia

I have two older Rafter belts and they are good, but something has happened to that company's customer service and I would caution against using them. The last time I tried to order a belt from them I literally could not place an order on their website or by phone.

I recently bought a belt from AG Custom in Georgia, which is linked in a previous post above. I was very impressed with the quality and service of this firm. The belt is stiff, thick and good looking, holding up the weight of a gun very well. It cost about $70 in the 1.5 inch width. But that is about what you have to pay for a decent gun belt of double leather.
Old July 9, 2011, 02:23 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I'm trying to avoid paying $60 for the Bianchis and Galcos but if that is really the way to go I need to know.
If you really want a good gun belt that will support a 1911, I'd suggest spending a little more than $60. I mean, you can buy cheaper gun belts, but they won't hold up as long in my experience.

I'd suggest checking out www.thebeltman.net They aren't cheap, but they are well made and will last you a long, long time. In my experience, you can buy several cheap carry belts, or you buy one beltman.
Old July 9, 2011, 04:02 PM   #16
regularguy

Sorry that I never noticed there was a section for accys. I've only been reading about the stuff that shoots. Thanks for all the feedback, even the mild rebukes about trying to cut corners on cost. I get it.
Old July 9, 2011, 05:23 PM   #17
tpelle

I've worn belts that I bought from these guys:

www.Galls.com

Their main market is police/fire/ems/security, but they sell to provate individuals. When you get to their site, just search for "dress belts". They sell quality reinforced dress belts that are great for concealed carry, and they're usually not too expensive. Also shipping is fast - or used to be when I was always ordering fire stuff.

Here's an example:

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...t=&style=LP224
Old July 9, 2011, 07:40 PM   #18
Don P

Depending where you live in FLA at the gun show held at the Volusia County fair grounds comming up in a week or two there is a man making gun belts for $25 custom fit to your waist. Other wise the beltman.
http://www.thebeltman.net/
and these folks are here in FLA. in Largo http://www.shado.com/
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 9, 2011, 10:22 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

Good belts, styles...

Depending on the color, type of leather(cow, horse, exotic, synthetic, etc), budget range, and other factors, here are few top brands;

www.Miltsparks.com www.MitchRosen.com www.HighNoonHolsters.com (A Tampa Florida area firm) www.5.11tactical.com www.qmuniforms.com www.policehq.com www.Safariland.com . The Beltman website & Galls were posted here already.
If you want to tote a full size 1911a1 .45acp or any large pistol, a 1.5" width, lined belt may be the way to go.
Mitch Rosen is noted for dress belts that go from 1.5" to 1.25" in the front for improved concealment/appearance.
Old July 10, 2011, 03:49 PM   #20
JerryM

Make sure your holster loops will fit the belt. My 1.5"
RafterS belt will not go through all my holster loops. Beltman does.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 11, 2011, 09:41 PM   #21
shootingthebull

Belt

I have 2 Crossbreed Belts. Both have carried a compact 1911 as well as Glock 23 and Glock 19.. Highly reccomended as a belt for daily concealed carry!
Old July 12, 2011, 04:37 PM   #22
geetarman

I ordered three belts from Rick Garcia ( Rayban ) about two weeks ago.

I wanted a black and brown for me and a black one for my son. I had an existing Dillon belt and sent that to him for measurement.

I asked him to re-dye the brown belt I sent him to darken up the white thread that was on it.

I also asked for the roller buckle.

They all came today and the re-dye came out perfect as did the three belts.

He delivered what he said he would when he said he would.

I sent him a check last week and he obviously sent the belts before the check cleared.

Relax, Rick. . .the check is good

It is nice to do business with someone who promises less and delivers more.

I hope more members on the forum check out his web page and the other things he does.

I am more than a little pleased at what I received.

Geetarman
Old July 12, 2011, 08:39 PM   #23
dmazur

This isn't a traditional "gun belt", but it is made of quality leather with rivets instead of some kind of goofy snap.

Schnees bridle leather belts