The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 20, 2012, 05:47 PM   #26
BGutzman

Quote:
idea of going all glock.
Idea or nightmare??? shoot what suits you... Just more other guns for the rest of us.. have fun..
Old September 20, 2012, 07:24 PM   #27
dayman

I don't buy the premise that you need to regularly shoot a variety of guns to be able to use something new.
I've pretty much only ever shot 1911's until I started to CC, an Xd for a few months after that, and now a PPQ. I do have a .380 and a SP101 for the woods, but neither get shot much.
Despite that, I've never had any problem figuring out friends guns. Figuring out how to eject brass from a SAA did take several seconds the first time, and I imagine I'd have a hard time breaking any of them down, but as far as shooting goes most handguns have a lot more similarities than differences.

Also - on a more pragmatic note - how likely is it that you'll ever have to defend yourself with someone else's gun? Or if you did, what are the odds you wouldn't have the few seconds it would likely take to identify the safety and type of action?

In the end they're your guns, so if you like glocks the best, I really don't think there's any good reason not to go for it. The great thing about guns is that if you ever change your mind you can sell them and get something else.
Old September 20, 2012, 07:43 PM   #28
KyJim

Quote:
“Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it.”
I've seen that many times and it is BS. Everyone I know who only owns one gun doesn't know squat about guns. I recognize this may not be true for every person who owns only one gun, especially for someone on a budget.

I personally like variety but I don't consider all my handguns as self-defense guns (though they could all be used that way). I like single action semi-autos best but I have striker fired (with no thumb safety) and traditional DA/SA. I like steel revolvers but I own one polymer revolver. I'm not much for lasers but own one handgun with a laser. When it comes to carry/defense, however, I stick to a gun that is point and pull the trigger or with a frame mounted safety (down for fire).

Really, though, it's just a personal preference. If you want to stick with a particular manufacturer and type of gun, nothing wrong with that.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:05 PM   #29
orionengnr

Quote:
The man with only one gun may also not be all that much into shooting; may have inherited it but never used it; may not be able to afford more than one (which suggests, but does not necessarily mean, lack of funds for practice ammo or training).
This statement is over-used and under-thought. It may have been true a century ago; today it is a relic of a bygone time. I know a number of people with one gun and none of them shoot regularly (or particularly well). Everyone I know who shoots half-decently owns multiple guns and devotes a fair amount of time and energy to maintaining that skill.

That said, I believe that there is something to be said for a single platform--especially if you do not shoot frequently. If you are comfortable with the Glock action and manual of arms, and you practice enough for it to be second nature, I believe you will be well served.

One of my many personality flaws is that I try to keep only those handguns that I carry or shoot regularly.

This gives rise to a number of conflicts. I shoot a 1911 best, and try to carry a 1911 exclusively, but I also own some S&W revolvers (K and N-frames) and therefore "must" carry them at least a certain percentage of the time...generally, winter time.

I try to spend some time at the range every week with my carry pistol. When the seasons change, I make sure and spend some extra time to make sure the "transition" is ia smooth one...yet I doubt that muscle memory is truly and immediately ingrained during the changeover period. Only in a true emergency is the theory proven, and if luck is with me, the true emergency will never confront me. Of course, in the absence of proof, there is always doubt...

If I were able to carry each for six months, I'm fairly sure I could achieve a balance...but due to our seasons, I have to work hard to carry a revolver four months of twelve.

I am a bit less concerned about the 1911-to-S&W revolver transition (after all, a revolver is as intuitive as it gets) than I am the inverse.

I am not yet ready to sell my revolvers, so I will deal with the cross-training, and the doubt...but I am not saying that this is the wisest course of action.

Perhaps these words will one day adorn my headstone.

My point...your choice. Make sure you can live with it.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:48 PM   #30
j3ffr0

It's fun to shoot different guns. I see no advantage to sticking to one type. However, I do want to either keep it simple for a carry or home defense gun, or make sure I am very, very familiar with operating any gun chosen for that purpose. It would suck to forget to disengage the safety.

Disadvantages to sticking to one type of gun (at least for me):
-boredom (means I won't want to shoot at all)
-remain unfamiliar with other weapons that may be better than what I have
-unfamiliar with other weapons that I may find in my hand one day for one reason or another.

The more the better.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:58 AM   #31
SW40F

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0
...However, I do want to either keep it simple for a carry or home defense gun, or make sure I am very, very familiar with operating any gun chosen for that purpose. It would suck to forget to disengage the safety.
I'm with you there. My carry/home defense guns are a 442 Airweight and a Model 3953, both double action with no safety. Pick up either, point and squeeze if necessary. My fun and range guns have various decocking and safety levers, with a few single action revolvers thrown in for good measure.

All is fair in fun and play, but I like consistency for stressful situations.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:02 AM   #32
Strafer Gott

Stick with the same control set. Lots of commonality with Sig. Simple. If only the trigger guard shape changes, not much difference. Try it first.
Sometimes the smallest change is important. It doesn't matter, unless it does.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:48 AM   #33
mitchntx

Didn't read all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if it's already been said ...

For me, I have two sets of criteria for a "platform" ... use and sport.

For sport, I have a variety simply because I want to have a well rounded knowledge of how they work and perform.

For use, I stay with one or two "platforms" so that when the need arises, I'm not searching for a magic button to make the thing go bang.

And we "train" with the weapons routinely just to make sure we can react appropriately.

YVMV
Old October 4, 2012, 05:46 PM   #34
cookie5

I like the pistols to point the same .
Old October 4, 2012, 06:23 PM   #35
TAKtical

If I could only choose two platforms, I would have glocks and 1911's. I enjoy both, and I shoot them very well. I dont see any advantage to choosing another platform. If you find something that you like, that works for you, stick with it.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 4, 2012, 09:57 PM   #36
Deja vu

I am in a different boat entirly. I believe in having lots of platforms so that you can use any kind of pistol out there if you have to but I also believe in keeping to a single self defense round. That way you can stock pile ammo much easier.

For me it was a 357 magnum. I have double action and single action revolvers, Derringers, 1911 (style), pocket guns, single shot encore and even a lever action rifle in that round.

They all eat the same ammo so I can easily stock up on ammo but I am familure with all these kinds of guns encase I ever have to use some one else's gun. I wish I could find a Glock style gun in 357 magnum,

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 5, 2012, 09:57 AM   #37
kdrf636

Quote:
I've seen that many times and it is BS. Everyone I know who only owns one gun doesn't know squat about guns. I recognize this may not be true for every person who owns only one gun, especially for someone on a budget.
You contradicted yourself here.

It's not BS. I had only one gun for many years, my 4" S&W M586. I dedicated myself to learning how to run it and master it. Instead of buying lots of guns, I bought ammo and trained with that one revolver. I do like shooting other weapons and calibers of course, but when it comes to serious business, I always go for that 586.
Old October 5, 2012, 12:15 PM   #38
RickB

I shot competition with a 1911 almost every weekend for over ten years; why would I then carry a gun with which I had relatively little experience? I have 1911s in four different sizes and calibers, but operating them is the same, across the board. I do allow myself a Browning Hi-Power when I want more capacity, but it operates the same way, with the controls in the same place, so it's an easy transition. Switching to a DA/SA, or something with a safety/decocker mounted on the slide? Don't think so.
Old October 5, 2012, 12:58 PM   #39
iblong

I like to shoot'em all,I take a bit of pride in be proficient with what I pick up
and good with a few.I once sold of a bunch to get down to one cal.with in 6 mo/I was bored and started replacing the ones I sold.I no longer think about these things,I buy what interests me and I can afford,some I shoot for a while and use as trade fodder to buy something else to play with.
Whats left when I leave this world my Gal and the Kids can do what they wish
with.I just enjoy learnning and shooting.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:21 PM   #40
dayman

Quote:
Everyone I know who only owns one gun doesn't know squat about guns.
My old man only has one handgun (and one hunting rifle), and still manages to out shoot me on a disturbingly regular basis.
The only special forces member I know on a personal basis only has one gun.
When I was in college I only had the one - in large part because I spent all my gun budget on ammo rather than other guns.

While it's true that many shooting enthusiasts wind up becoming gun collectors, I don't see one as having a whole lot to do with the other.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:34 PM   #41
Sparks1957

I think there's something to be said for being proficient with a variety of guns. I do tend to stick to DA/SA guns without safeties and with decockers, however. Similar controls helps with the muscle memory, which could make a difference in a crisis.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:05 PM   #42
Boatme98

Variety is the spice of life, right? I have/had a good variety over time and so far haven't gotten tired of "horse trading".
I do have a few that I would be hard pressed to part with, but I enjoy trying different brands.
However, I pretty much stick to a Sig or an older Colt .380 for edc.
Old October 6, 2012, 03:34 AM   #43
lechiffre

Quote:
Well, I never thought of the handgun as merely a weapon. I shot mostly for fun and the sheer enjoyment of shooting, and shooting well. And, we frequently enjoyed the table fare that my guns put on the table. Self defense was a secondary study to handgunning.

Bob Wright
I was going to type something like that.

Thanks for saving me the time & effort

do the interns get glocks ?
Old October 8, 2012, 09:18 AM   #44
SFsc616171

Handgun variety vs one platform

Hmmm ... "platform" ... the McDonnell Douglas Phantom II F-4 E/G series, which I adored maintaining the radar system of, was considered a 'platform', too.

As Inigo Montoya once said, "I do not think it means what you think it means."

You are becoming a Glock afficionado. Whatever caliber, as long as it is 'launched' from a Glock.

I wish you well, in your search. I will not touch a polymer anything, but that's me.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:28 AM   #45
dahermit

Form follows function. If you use handguns for several different purposes...all handguns are not for self defense, you would logically have several different guns. I shot mainly for fun. Therefore, I have several revolvers. I choose pocket carry for self defense so I choose to carry a snub revolver in my pocket. However, if I was expecting trouble, I assure you I would carry one of my 1911's or my Browning HP which are better suited for combat. Then again, if I was hunting, back to a revolver in a magnum cartridge. In short, it always depends on what you are envision it is going to be used for and the conditions of use. No one platform does it all when it comes to handguns...the same reason there is more than one club in a golf bag.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:42 PM   #46
johnwilliamson062

Pretty hard to go all one manufacturer let alone one design.

I like Glock, but I have a Kahr target semi, ruger target 22s, an Encore for hunting, etc.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:39 AM   #47
siska

I went with the Diamondback 9mm for EDC

and got a Taurus PT22 and LDA Paraord .45 1911 for practice with DA trigger pulls. Glock doesn'[t make a true front pants pocket 9mm, and their relatively unsupported feed ramp area worries me for my hot hunting loads in .45.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:57 AM   #48
Pianoguy

Out of a dozen handguns I own, 8-9 have operations unique from all the rest. The idea was to get a feel for what's out there and what others are talking about along with having a nice collection. Now I sort of know more about what I like in a gun and tend to focus more on the 2 or 3 guns that I am most likely to carry. The others are just for a change of pace. So if you carry a gun that you want to depend your life on I would say concentrate on that one until it's like a part of your body and you can shoot it well without thinking. Mixing it up won't give you that unless you shoot an awful lot. I'm sort of getting away from the collectors mentality and I think more about what I realistically need (which is nothing) and will CC and work for me and what I will be more likely to take to the range and practice to be good with. More like buying a piece of equipment to serve a purpose. Not as much fun but otherwise there's just too many out there that I would want to buy on coolness alone.
Old October 12, 2012, 01:17 AM   #49
Stuck

If I limited myself to just the Glock "platform", I probably wouldn't enjoy shooting as much as I do. Similar defense guns isn't a bad idea tho. Like others have said there are too many guns out there to enjoy, each one serving a certain purpose or function. (hunting, plinking, competetion, etc.)
Old October 12, 2012, 01:38 AM   #50
warningshot

Glocks are great. I like them just fine. Walther PPQ just beat Glock at there own game with a better ergo fit and a better trigger. But heck...if Glock is the only gun you shoot...you will have a lot of fun.