The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2008, 03:48 AM   #26
Creature

Yep, still looks "pimp" to me...
Old December 26, 2008, 04:25 AM   #27
Mike U.

Sorry guys. Gotta do the rest of the un-pimping as funds allow. There will be a flashlight on it as long as it stays by my bed. The key there is making it lower key than it is now.
Tell ya what, how about I use this old soldier till I get my baby back to normal?

I'll just lock the 870 up in the vault till I can get a more traditional looking stock on it again. NOT!!

The more traditional looking stock is gonna be a Knoxx "Comp Stock". Till then, it stays as is. The thread is titled "UN-pimping my 870". Not "my un-pimped 870".
Old December 26, 2008, 04:37 AM   #28
Bill DeShivs

That old Rossi Coach Gun would make a fine defense weapon, and it will handle better than any pump!
Old December 26, 2008, 02:50 PM   #29
Mike U.

Yeah Bill, it's got a good "feel" to it.
Swings pretty good too for a shorter barreled weapon.
Quick to shoulder, quick on target.
Old December 26, 2008, 05:49 PM   #30
troy_mclure

cheap/simple mall ninja/tacticool 870

ive got a buddy that just got an 870 from his pops, the furniture is actually glued togeather.

he wants to make it into a cheap mall ninja/tacticool gun. he has no desire to hunt/hd with this gun. just wants to make it look "cool".

he is also very mechanically disinclined.

what is some stuff that is simple to install and cheap to achieve his goal?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 27, 2008, 10:45 AM   #31
madcratebuilder

I de-pimped my 870 and ended up with this.

Seriously I kept my pimp gun and use a 12ga coach gun for HD now.
Old December 29, 2008, 08:21 AM   #32
22lr

My plain jane 500. No frill and it can still put #000 downrange just as good as anything. Its got a $40 dollar gunshow barrel on it but again at in house range it hits just as hard as the newest semi 12ga that cost 10 times more.
Old December 29, 2008, 03:30 PM   #33
GaryD

At one time police officers were trained to hold their flashlights in their left hand with their arm fully extended high and out to the side of their body, so that anyone shooting at, under or to the left of the light (most people instinctively expecting a right handed person to carry it in their right hand) would not come close to the officer.

I prefer a 1911 45 with a laser grip for home defense, but have numerous shotguns. I have a Mossberg "Cruiser" in 410 that can shoot five 30 cal. buckshot in one load and can be controlled with one hand; however, it normally has #8 shot in it for snakes (I'm rural). Without a plug, it will hold 6 rounds. If you need more, get an AR-15 clone with a 30 round mag.

At one time I had a 12 ga. Winchester 1200 home defense pump. The only signifant difference between it and a common pump gun would be the longer magazine, which is excess fo home defense.
Old December 29, 2008, 03:46 PM   #34
roadrash

Here is my pimped out HD shotgun!Sorry about the poor quality pic.
Started as a $150 beat up used 870.
(I use a G17 for HD,I just wanted to put together something that had that old school look to it)

Remington 870 express 12 ga.
18.5" Remington Cyl.Bore barrel
2 shot Remington extension
Wingmaster Trigger Group
Scattergun Tech. Big Head Safety
Scattergun Tech. Mag Follower/Spring
Machined extractor
Police furniture with R9 recoil pad(I would like to replace the recoil pad with a hard plastic buttplate,to shorten LOP a touch)
Gun-kote Matte Gray Finish
7 rds Federal 2 3/4" 00 buck

Last edited by roadrash; December 29, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old December 29, 2008, 06:02 PM   #35
strat81

Roadrash, how long is your barrel and what's the capacity with the mag extension (x+1)?
Old December 29, 2008, 06:06 PM   #36
.351winchester

Quote:
In my opinion there is a difference between "mall ninja crap" and quality products that CAN be used to increase the versatility and effectiveness of a weapon. emphasis on can, even a quality product won't be suitable for all applications.
Right on. Combat shotguns, really all fighting firearms, can be divided into "defensive" and 'offensive' weapons classes or purposes. For me, the ideal dedicated HD shotgun would be a short, bead sighted, full-stocked pump (a Mosberg due to preference for the tang safety). I think KISS is the best policy when considering weapons and tactics for when your own home is invaded. Out of the box the average unmodified riot gun has everything you need and nothing you don't. Just as while I favor the 1911 think a Glock or Centennial might make the better true defensive circumstances weapon. In this way a simple Bantam or Youth 20 gauge pump may have a edge over a Benelli Tactical or similar, where enhancements may not only not be needed, could hinder you at the worst time, either from malfuntion or complex procedures.

Tacticool stuff has a place, for 3-Gun or entry teams, or even just to add versatility to a combat pump gun (which, IMO, may in some ways impede it inside the house). Ghost Rings can be a useful accesory, and a quality mag extension. I hate side saddles but can see the concept of using one to chamber a slug on the fly. All of this is irrelevant to unexpected, room combat. Lights...undecided. Nothing wrong with a Knoxx stock as I understand they really work, I prefer and do better with conventional shaped stocks. All in all these bone stock examples are IMO better suited for defense, definately what I'd prefer to be working with if I woke up in the middle of the night to a situation this intense with probable permanant consequences.

One idea I did have for a HD SG improvement, for those who clear with one (versus folks who can take cover and wait for help). In the past I've used night lights and usually a Mimi 14 carried in Indoor Ready position when practicing for this scenario. Anyway, was looking at Clyde Barrow's sawed-off Remington autos, and the shoulder strap he used to carry them as a PDW. Just a leather strap in a small loop and attached to the heel and toe of the stubby stock. This might be an aid in weapon retention without involving a cumbersome tactical sling or even a single point model that allows the butt to move from the shoulder. Or wear the thing under your robe to answer the door if you have reason. Just a thought.

I just look at the pure HDSG as a safety tool similar to fire extinguisher, to keep the home safe, more or less disposable compared to the value when it may be needed (not junk though, it must work, and come on were all gun guys, if we gotta whack a burglar, would be nice to have a shotty with style and customizationon all the documents, but simplicity is key. That gets you to operate at the basic, lowest level where you stand a better chance.

Last edited by .351winchester; December 30, 2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old December 29, 2008, 06:15 PM   #37
roadrash

Strat,I added the stats!
Old December 29, 2008, 07:06 PM   #38
strat81

Looking good, roadrash. Thanks!

Your setup is similar to what I envision my 3-gun 870 to be.

I'm still wrestling with mag extension... do I go for a 6+1, 7+1, or 8+1?? The gamer in me says 8+1. However, my "practical" side says 6+1 or 7+1.

I plan on retaining my 870's wood furniture and cutting the stock to fit me. I already bought an 870P forearm to accommodate a 6-rd side saddle.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:14 PM   #39
flip180

When it comes to shotguns, I'm a big fan of "less is best". The best accesory other than training and practice for any shotgun is a good sysytem for ammo supply such as a grab and go dump pouch. I'm a little guy and I like my shotgun stripped down and easier to maneuver.

Flip.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:41 PM   #40
popeyespappy

My HD 870 wears a XS Big Dot Tritium bead.
Old December 30, 2008, 03:03 AM   #41
Mike U.

popeyespappy,

Where did you get your Tritium bead?
That's a whole new animal to me and it sounds like a good replacement for my hard to see stock silver bead.
Old December 30, 2008, 09:54 AM   #42
strat81

Mike U., these aren't tritium but are a good compromise and may be what you want, depending on your circumstances:
http://www.hivizsights.com/Shotgun-Sights-C1.aspx
Old December 30, 2008, 11:25 AM   #43
popeyespappy

XS Tritium

Here is the XS website:

http://www.xssights.com/store/shotgun.html

You should be able to find what you need there. Which one you get depends on what you have/want. My HD 870 is pretty plain Jane except for the epoxy on bead on ramp front sight. It glues right over top of the existing bead. If you shop around you can probably find them cheaper retail than directly from XS.

I like the Tritium much better than the Fiber Optic type as it works in very low to no light and the FO wont.
Old December 30, 2008, 05:13 PM   #44
Mike U.

strat81,

I have the Hi-Viz snap-on plain barrel sight. It works fairly good in lower light conditions. Better than a silver bead. And in full light the thing is a neon sign! Extremely easy to pick for a fast sight picture.
However, at night my house's interior is as dark as Henry VIII's dungeon. Tritium sights help greatly in those circumstances. My 870 is primarily a bedside shotgun first and a goes-bang!-joy-toy the rest of the time. (I love shooting it.)

popeyespappy,

Thank you very much! That's the ticket!