The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 16, 2023, 09:30 AM   #1
Rothdel

Upgrading a Gen 4 Glock 17

This is dumb and I know its dumb. I have some money to burn and instead of buying a new gun I would like to try my hand at upgrading something......

So for this project I want to use my Gen 4 Glock 17 which is bone stock. I don't shoot it much anymore so would like to turn it into a competition themed range gun that shoots fast and flat. Not planning on using it for competing just want something that is fun to shoot with no purpose other than range time.

Great fun idea..... then I started looking and got overwhelmed with the sheer number of options and aftermarket producers, resellers, and customizers out there.

So I'm going to put out there where I'm at right now and then ask some questions of all of you fine folks.

I'm bouncing between Zev Technologies and the Glock Store in terms of where to purchase.

I'm looking at a threaded barrel with a compensator.
Pure tungsten (uncaptured) guide rod so I can play with spring rates.
Upgraded novak sights
Aluminum magwel

At some point I may upgrade trigger but I've gotten so used to the standard trigger I think I can live with it till I get everything else sorted.

So questions......

Am I on the right track in terms of my first few upgrades?
Are Zev Technologies or the Glock Store decent places to start?
Any watch outs with the plan of attack to start with?
Any thing I should be considering instead?

I don't care all that much about looks so don't really care about what colors things come in. Looking for drop in, well built, and long lasting products. Willing to pay for quality as I'm not on a timeline here and can save between purchases.
Old May 18, 2023, 10:46 AM   #2
Skans

My thoughts - buy the threaded barrel if you want to (keep the original), because you never know when you won't be able to get one of those. The rest of that stuff doesn't really do anything.

But, the Glock is meant to look "all business". Black plastic and black metal. Sleek for carrying. Get an all metal gun, like a Witness, if you want to trick it out.
Old May 18, 2023, 12:02 PM   #3
Jim Watson

At the Glock level (I prefer the Smith) all I really want is a manageable trigger and visible sights. But I see a lot of the frou-frou you are talking about, so knock yourself out.
I don't know what it is "meant" to look like.
Old May 18, 2023, 02:30 PM   #4
Rothdel

So a couple of quick call outs.

1. I'm not looking to purchase another pistol. I'm working with what I have.
2. Its not meant to look like anything.

I don't understand Skans comments that other than a threaded barrel the other items don't "do" anything.

I've shot many guns with comps and feel reduced recoil is doing something.
Improving sights does something.
A heavier guide rod with uncaptured springs does several things
A magwell on a gun with double to single feed I will give you does not have a huge impact but I'm guessing in speed drills there at least a marginal impact. If not I will have learned something.
Old May 18, 2023, 02:57 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Quote:
Not planning on using it for competing just want something that is fun to shoot with no purpose other than range time.
My range time is either matches, practice for same, or practice with defense weapons, so anything I do to a gun has a clear purpose. Maybe effective, maybe not. Fun is a good score.
Old May 18, 2023, 03:14 PM   #6
BarryLee

Obviously, you are looking to build a "fun" range gun and I get it. Also, you want the satisfaction of doing the work yourself and I get that too. I think the suggested modifications are probably fine, but something like this is really your call. Also, keep in mind, you may decide to change all those items to something else down the road. I used to modify cars and man I "upgraded" the same items several different times. So, have at it and post some photos of the progress.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 19, 2023, 04:08 AM   #7
highpower3006

Definitely do the trigger and barrel. I would also have the slide milled for a optical sight, which can be added later if you want to.
Old May 19, 2023, 11:55 AM   #8
lll Otto lll

Put in a Timney trigger and keep the rest of the gun bone stock.
*Do not buy a Timney if you haven’t learned to keep your finger off the trigger until you’re on target.
Old May 19, 2023, 02:52 PM   #9
wild cat mccane

Take a sku to gun.deals and google for what you want.

I would recommend a gen5 barrel. Next I would get a gen5 slide now that they are going MOS standard. Going to need a gen5 grip at this point. Then get the gen5 only Glock Performance Trigger...

Then your gen4 should be good to go.

I get not wanting new. Your going to dump some amount of money for a fun gun only...resell plus parts your going to be nearing where a new Shadow 2 at current $900 on gun.deals. It's a thought.

Or a stock $500 PDP even without new sights is probably going to do at least as good. 180 more gets you into the PDP Pro.

The "working on" is so minimal, I don't know if the enjoyment of doing it is going to last you for the length of owning a gen4? Just did a more complicated GrayGuns kit install on an HK. Still took me 15 minutes. If the outcome isn't what you want, the "working on it" is pretty fleeting...

Last edited by wild cat mccane; May 19, 2023 at 04:21 PM.