The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 1, 2018, 02:34 PM   #1
DPris
Member Emeritus

Mossberg: Anybody Fired Both Shockwave & Cruiser?

Anybody fired both?
Anybody have firsthand personal experience with both?

Which grip do you find most comfortable & convenient?
Specifically 12-gauge, specifically these two Mossberg models.
Denis
Old April 1, 2018, 03:06 PM   #2
FITASC

The cruiser's vertical grip transmits more jolt and pain to my wrist.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 1, 2018, 03:17 PM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

Thanks.
Anybody else?
Denis
Old April 1, 2018, 05:18 PM   #4
Screwball

I had the JIC2, which is essentially a Cruiser without the heat shield. Nice, but definitely a Hogue Tamer is a smart investment. However, traditional pistol grip shotguns can be a pain to shoot for some people. Really comes down to the individual. While I liked it, it wasn’t something I had to own.

I sold it (bought a KSG, so didn’t really want it in addition), but eventually went with the TAC-14 (got it for a trade on my 10/22 Takedown)... being I prefer Remington controls (shy of that, they are close enough for the discussion). With that being said, shorter barrel and overall length. I also feel like the Shockwave grip, while may seem odd at the gun shop, is very ergonomic in regards to shooting. Hold it like it has a stock, that you are shouldering.

I stocked up on low recoil 00 buckshot for the Mossberg, and kept it around for the TAC-14. Never got into Mini-Shells (might get some for the KSG), but definitely an option if a shooter doesn’t want to go with standard length shells (gives more capacity). I don’t think the low recoil stuff is excessive, might eventually try some regular buckshot... for poops and giggles.

Now, if you really want to get creative... the Cruiser is 31” long (18.5” barrel). The firearms (Shockwave/TAC-14) are just over 26” (14” barrel). Go to Suarez International... and get a Folding Brace (only for the TAC-14, I believe)... same barrel length, with 33” length extended (how measured via NFA). Unfolded, 24” length. Personally, I feel that brace adds a lot of functionality.
Old April 1, 2018, 05:36 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

Thanks.
Reason I'm asking is that I've measured both, and I get the Shockwave at 26 3/4 inches, and the tactical Cruiser with heat shield at 28 1/4 inches.

That's muzzle to grip tip, yardstick laid against both, parallel to the barrel, with grip tip resting on the floor.

Mossberg's web shows about what I got for the Shockwave, but lists that 31-inch figure on the Cruiser, making it 5 inches longer than the Shockwave.

I've got the two side by side here, and I'm just not managing to either squeeze 5 inches in difference between the two, or get 31 inches out of the Cruiser.

I myself find the Shockwave's grip angle very awkward, and the Cruiser's grip angle much more comfortable.

There's a lotta interest in the SW's 14-inch barrel, but if the two are actually only less than 2 inches different in length, and the Cruiser gives better velocities through 4 more inches of barrel, I'm not sure I see a lotta reason to go with the more awkward SW.

That's why I'm seeking other experiences with both guns.

Zero interest in a brace, or extending either gun's OAL.
And even less interest in anything Suarez.
Denis
Old April 1, 2018, 06:11 PM   #6
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Zero interest in a brace, or extending either gun's OAL.
And even less interest in anything Suarez.
Denis

Just my view... having owned “both.”

Whether you like Gabe Suarez or not, having the Folding Brace on my TAC-14... the stuff his shop puts out is top notch.

Old April 1, 2018, 06:21 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

It may very well be, but it has nothing to do with my question regarding the unaltered Shockwave & unaltered Cruiser.
Denis
Old April 1, 2018, 06:29 PM   #8
Screwball

Must have missed the unaltered part in your original post... if I saw that, wouldn’t have even posted.
Old April 1, 2018, 06:38 PM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

Thanks anyway, just trying to hold it to those two Mossbergs, those two models.
Not asking for anything on modifications, or info on Remingtons.
Denis
Old April 24, 2018, 11:35 PM   #10
mellow_c

Of the two, I believe the shockwave to be more practicle and easier to shoot.

That being said, adding this grip to the JIC allows you to grip the gun higher up so the energy goes back into your straight arm a bit more than the "wrist breaker" traditional grip on the JIC

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/49...e-rubber-black
I've shot an 870 with that vindicator grip and liked it.

Having shot both the JIC and the shockwave, I would vote for the shockwave. I think it's a bit more practical in most ways overall. Although you could add a stock to the JIC, so there is that to consider. You can also get the shockwave in 20 gauge if you prefer, which i like the idea of.