The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2018, 10:57 AM   #51
F. Guffey

Quote:
These lubricator 'Cups' are called Single Point Lubricator
This link will show you what they look like,
I can not remember when lubricators were not available, in the old days the cup was threaded; when full of grease the operator would give the cup an occasional turn to lube and push our dirt, grit and grime with ware particles if present.

Last edited by F. Guffey; May 11, 2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: remove a
Old May 11, 2018, 06:22 AM   #52
Mobuck

From a time or expense standpoint--WHY? So much work and fiddling for a cobbled up, homemade equivalent of something with a $50 price tag.
Old May 15, 2018, 08:03 AM   #53
xandi

Boredom, mostly kind of interested it the how to
Old May 15, 2018, 01:12 PM   #54
JeepHammer

Like there isn't lubrication issues, leverage issues, linkage issues and a dozen other issues with the current crop of available presses to fix if you are bored...

Re-reading the original, I have to caution against welding on railroad track...
Welding on high manganese steel takes a lot more talent that welding up common steel with a buzz box.
I've tried it, didn't turn out well, like it didn't turn out well when I attempted to weld cast iron.

One thing about bolting components together, if bolt holes are drilled square & true, the frame stays square & true. No warping from heat or building jigs trying to keep your parts true through the heat expansion/contraction. Single use jigging sucks...
Old May 15, 2018, 01:28 PM   #55
F. Guffey

Not a reloading press but I have three arbor presses, I modified one for some heavy duty forming. No matter how strong the press is designed there is a limit, that limit will be recognized as soon as the reloader fails to lube the case and or uses a lube of questionable quality.

F. Guffey
Old May 15, 2018, 01:35 PM   #56
F. Guffey

And it is not for everyone; anyone that can think up more reasons for not doing it than they can think up reasons for doing it just should not do it. I am most fortunate, I am surrounded with can do people, they are talented.

And there are a few that call looking for help, my favorite answer? "First I need to determine if it can be done".

F. Guffey
Old May 15, 2018, 02:30 PM   #57
JeepHammer

Not *Can* it be done... (Yes)
The question is *SHOULD* it be done?

Spending weeks and $1,000 on a $25-$75 press when it's done... *Should* you have done that...?
Will your results be superior to commonly available offerings? (Or even equal?)
Is this going to be big, heavy chunk of nothing special you aren't going to use much past showing off the fact you made a press?
Old May 15, 2018, 03:08 PM   #58
F. Guffey

Quote:
Spending weeks and $1,000 on a $25-$75 press when it's done... *Should* you have done that...?
Will your results be superior to commonly available offerings? (Or even equal?)
Is this going to be big, heavy chunk of nothing special you aren't going to use much past showing off the fact you made a press?
I mentioned a crew member that went on a one way trip. He survived the trip and the crash at then end of it. He became a reloader/shooter etc. reloading and shooting with one arm was not easy for him so he made a press. One more time, he had failures because he required an assist on the presses he was going to use and nothing would hold up under the hydraulic system he made. SO? He built his own press, a most magnificent press. The press belongs to a recourse person on anything WW1 and WW11, he is also a shooter/reloader etc.

The man is one of my resource people, and if he did not think I cared and or was not interested I do not believe he would have said a word about owning it. And he gave me a sled that was built by the same person that built the magnificent press.

I do not care how much the press is worth.

F. Guffey