The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 6, 2019, 05:29 PM   #1
mikmaze

an intro, and a quest for tika failure info

New guy here, long time shooter/ hunter. I have a request for any and all info relating to failures of tika rifles, keying on stainless to be specific. I would rather not say why at this point as I am not looking to sling mud. thanks for any and all help, Mike
Old November 6, 2019, 08:56 PM   #2
reynolds357

I know of no catastrophic failures that were not ammo or barrel obstruction related. I have read about out of battery firing, but never personally seen it.
Old November 6, 2019, 10:58 PM   #3
Dufus

The only failures I have been privy to that were gun related are regarding Savage Arms. These were not ammo or obstruction related.
Old November 7, 2019, 01:54 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

A lot will depend on what your definition of a 'failure' being. Never heard of TIKKA's(or Savages for that matter.) having issues though. SS or not makes no difference.
Old November 7, 2019, 02:02 PM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
A lot will depend on what your definition of a 'failure' being. Never heard of TIKKA's(or Savages for that matter.) having issues though. SS or not makes no difference.
Ztainless could make a difference.
Old November 7, 2019, 05:49 PM   #6
mikmaze

thanks for the input so far, just trying to figure things out.
Old November 7, 2019, 07:19 PM   #7
precision_shooter

0 issues with the Tikkas I’ve owned, A.308 light, and CTR 6.5 Creed. Neither stainless, but depending on the issue, I’d be skeptical of “stainless” being the contributing factor.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old November 8, 2019, 01:08 AM   #8
2ndtimer

A friend bought one for his son in 7mm-08. After a little over a year, it quit firing. Not sure if it was an issue with the firing pin or the trigger itself. I was shocked, as I had never heard of any issues with Tikkas. They sent it in under warranty, and Beretta repaired it and it has worked fine since.
Old November 8, 2019, 08:43 AM   #9
Picher

I haven't heard of any specific problems with Tikkas. Any rifle can have problems if not cared-for adequately. Congealed lubricants have caused many problems, so I'm very careful to use quality, non-gumming lubes especially in bolts and triggers.

WD-40 is a material that turns to a gummy substance over time, and should never be used in triggers and firing mechanisms. It's effective as a protectant on the exterior of metal parts, however.
Old November 8, 2019, 08:55 AM   #10
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
Ztainless could make a difference.
We could use a little more information here. Exactly how would stainless make a difference?
Old November 8, 2019, 09:32 AM   #11
CarJunkieLS1

I have a Tikka .270 Win and only problem it has is it kicks like a mule. I know friends who have Tikkas also and they haven't said anything about having issues. My rifle isn't stainless but my friend has 3 stainless Tikkas.
Old November 8, 2019, 04:52 PM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
We could use a little more information here. Exactly how would stainless make a difference?
Theoretically there could be a run of bad stainless barrels or receivers.
Old November 8, 2019, 07:47 PM   #13
taylorce1

A little Google Fu goes a long way.

TIKKA SS barrel failures
Old November 8, 2019, 07:55 PM   #14
jmr40

There was a problem several years ago. Apparently some of the steel used to make some barrels wasn't in spec. Not really Tikka's fault, but was a defect in the steel they bought. They recalled the affected rifles and made it right.

Winston Churchill
Old November 9, 2019, 07:15 AM   #15
eastbank

I have two tikka,s in .223, one in blue and one in SS and have not had any problems in fireing hundred,s of factory and reloads, some of the reloads are on the high end. the only thing I don,t like is you have to work the bolt smartly on the in stroke or the shell will pop out of the clip early and can cause a jam. I would not use a rifle that may do that on any thing that may kill me.
Old November 9, 2019, 03:10 PM   #16
J.G. Terry

Tikka recalls

I had not heard of failures of T3's. The only recall I found was in 2004. At the time Tikka was reported contacting dealers and customers concerning the recall. The recall was limited to certain serial numbers with faulty barrels. This recall concerned barrel steel problems. These failures were not a chronic failure of these rifles. One of my favorite rifles is a T3 in 338 Federal. I'd buy another without reservations.

Some months back at the local rifle club I was talking to shooter with a new Tikka with stainless barrel. He shared he was on a hunt and the rifle refused to fire. He continued that his failure was due to oil freezing in the action. Not the fault of the rifle.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; November 9, 2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old November 9, 2019, 03:15 PM   #17
HiBC

I might be able to give you a clue.

You may use this

http://www.schuemann.com/Portals/0/D...rrel_Steel.pdf

Or if clicking such things makes you nervous,Go to Schuemann barrels .There will be a (website offline) notice. Ignore it,up top you will see "documentation"
Go there.
You will find the topic "barrel steel" Read it.

Type 416 stainless is pretty much type 410 stainless with the addition of Sulphur to make it free machining. The Sulphur stringers can cause strength and failure problems.

No point in me re-writing the article.

If you read on another topic."cleaning" from the same "documentation" you will find that chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents attack these sulphur stringers in the steel.
They are not recommended for use in stainless barrels.

Extreme cold,IIRC, may effect 416R steel,also.

Last edited by HiBC; November 9, 2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old November 14, 2019, 05:39 PM   #18
mikmaze

thanks again so far. still keeping things in as things progress.
Old November 14, 2019, 10:43 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

You're not from New Jersey, are you?
Old November 17, 2019, 12:53 PM   #20
hdbiker

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 in blue. Functions perfect, smooth as silk bolt. Scary accurate. I'm not real fond of the scope bases in groves but they haven't given me any trouble. Biggest gripe is 60.00 bucks for a extra 4 round magazine !!! hdbiker
Old November 18, 2019, 07:11 PM   #21
mikmaze

yes I'm from, and in, NJ
Old November 18, 2019, 07:51 PM   #22
RC20

Quote:
There was a problem several years ago. Apparently some of the steel used to make some barrels wasn't in spec. Not really Tikka's fault, but was a defect in the steel they bought. They recalled the affected rifles and made it right.
Its Tikas fault. You have a quality control process in place and documentation at the supplier end. That they covered it would be letting the cows out and then closing the barn door and then chasing the cows around.

Bowman fasteners wound up with that issue when they off shored a lot of their fasteners and then had them not meet random spec checks.

Their solution in the end was to establish a US test facility and check the stuff that came in by lots. Wow.