Ruger SP101 .327 Fed mag (6 shot) 4.2" bbl 8 6.90%
Ruger GP100 .357 mag (7 shot) 4.2" bbl 11 9.48%
S&W 686+ .357 mag (7 shot) 3" bbl 20 17.24%
S&W 60 .357 mag (5 shot) 3" bbl 31 26.72%
Other (please specify) 31 26.72%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 14, 2018, 11:33 AM   #51
bassJAM1

For OWB carry I'd opt for a Security/Speed Six or Model 19/66 with a barrel length between 3-4".

I think the GP and 686 is just a tad much for carry, and the little 5 shots are better for pocket and IWB carry. For regular carry on a belt and range duty, I think it's hard to beat a k-framed size revolver.
Old February 14, 2018, 12:05 PM   #52
SonOfScubaDiver

It's not on your list, but the 3" SP101 .357 would work. I carry mine IWB and OWB. I'm not all that crazy about the 4" SP101, but I do like the 4" GP100. S&W also has the 586 in 4". You have a lot to choose from.
Old February 14, 2018, 04:37 PM   #53
bassJAM1

Quote:
It's not on your list, but the 3" SP101 .357 would work. I carry mine IWB and OWB. I'm not all that crazy about the 4" SP101, but I do like the 4" GP100. S&W also has the 586 in 4". You have a lot to choose from.
The 4" SP101 seems like an answer to a question nobody asked.
Old February 14, 2018, 06:19 PM   #54
Real Gun

Quote:
For OWB carry I'd opt for a Security/Speed Six or Model 19/66 with a barrel length between 3-4".
Both of those guns have grips that poke out, never meant for concealed carry, so the very packable SP101 is the answer to the question, while the 4" barrel is at the same time quite concealable and better able to let the 327 Federal cartridge perform nearer its potential. It deserves a place on the option list. I own all three guns mentioned here, and would pick the 4" SP101 over the others. The Security Six needed a $140 Herrett's grip, and the model 19 is carrying a bobbed Eagle (that has the "poke" part cut off and rounded). Only the SP101 is able to shoot full power ammo without regrets.
Old February 15, 2018, 12:47 PM   #55
bassJAM1

Quote:
Both of those guns have grips that poke out, never meant for concealed carry, so the very packable SP101 is the answer to the question, while the 4" barrel is at the same time quite concealable and better able to let the 327 Federal cartridge perform nearer its potential. It deserves a place on the option list. I own all three guns mentioned here, and would pick the 4" SP101 over the others. The Security Six needed a $140 Herrett's grip, and the model 19 is carrying a bobbed Eagle (that has the "poke" part cut off and rounded). Only the SP101 is able to shoot full power ammo without regrets.
1911's have grips that poke out and wasn't really meant for concealed carry, but plenty of people do so every day.

I've got an SP101 and 2 k frames as well (2.25", 4", and 6" respectively). My 6" 19 is a round butt and I don't think I'd have a problem concealing it with a much shorter barrel. There isn't a whole lot of dimensional difference between a k-frame and an SP101, if you want to lug around a 4" barrel you might as well get that extra round in the cylinder.

Not sure what you mean about full power loads. I certainly regret full power loads less out of the k frames compared to my SP! Follow-up shots are MUCH faster and more accurate as well. And I've never heard any issues with the Security Six's having problems like the S&W's do with the forcing cones (which is supposedly just with light 125gr bullets).
Old February 15, 2018, 01:36 PM   #56
Real Gun

Quote:
1911's have grips that poke out and wasn't really meant for concealed carry, but plenty of people do so every day.
I don't believe we have a way to know that "plenty of people" carry full size 1911 grips concealed. The difference though is in the amount of cant in the holster, pointing the grip progressively upward.

Quote:
There isn't a whole lot of dimensional difference between a k-frame and an SP101, if you want to lug around a 4" barrel you might as well get that extra round in the cylinder.
The SP101 grip is much more concealable, and I would give the gun the nod on less weight. If it's going to be 357 Magnum though, the SP and its grip are going to be more demanding for some lighter load.
Old February 16, 2018, 04:50 PM   #57
Terminatorret

Ruger Speed, Security or Service Six in .357.
Old February 16, 2018, 05:57 PM   #58
DarylBruce

I would recommend a new or older colt detective special. I havle carry one off and on for years with no problem.
Old February 16, 2018, 07:18 PM   #59
Real Gun

Quote:
Ruger Speed, Security or Service Six in .357.
Only the Speed Six was designed for concealment with its round butt grip. They are cop guns. Even with custom grips, the Security and Police Service Sixes are marginal for concealment.
Old February 16, 2018, 11:14 PM   #60
Terminatorret

My bad. I thought I had been concealed carrying my 4" Service Six and 2-3/4" Security Six for the past decade. I also thought this was a personal opinion poll. I didn't realize there are some opinions that are wrong...sorry!

Last edited by Terminatorret; February 16, 2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old February 17, 2018, 11:33 AM   #61
Real Gun

Quote:
My bad. I thought I had been concealed carrying my 4" Service Six and 2-3/4" Security Six for the past decade. I also thought this was a personal opinion poll. I didn't realize there are some opinions that are wrong...sorry!
But we're here to make recommendations, hopefully for a gun more ideal for the application. It's not about you but rather the guns and how they are used.
Old February 17, 2018, 01:31 PM   #62
Terminatorret

"It's not about you but rather the guns and how they are used." I take offense at your arrogant implication.

I must have missed where OWB carry precludes square butt revolvers. The Ruger Sixes fall nicely into the middle of the revolvers listed in the poll as framed by the originator of the post. A little larger than the SP101 , a little smaller than the GP100. These "cop guns" are, IMHO, perfect for OWB or shoulder holster carry applications. I see nothing wrong with recommending them with the greatest enthusiasm.
My recommendations are just that...recommendations. My opinion has not greater, nor lessor, weight than anyone else's. Just let it be.
Old February 17, 2018, 02:02 PM   #63
Carl the Floor Walker

Ruger LCR9mm. Just got back from the range shooting it. Love this gun. It is a great feeling when you feel you have done a great job of shooting this small barrel snubbie. Practice for the past two years has really paid off. I was really on my game this am.
Shot about 150 rounds through the LCR22 before the big game with the LCR9.

Old February 18, 2018, 12:50 AM   #64
Viper225

Choices in Order:
S&W 19/66 with 3" Barrel ( 3" has a full length Ejector Rod)
S&W 13/65 with 3" Barrel ( 3" has a full length Ejector Rod)
S&W 10/64/15 with 2" barrel
S&W 315 Night Guard
Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel in 357 magnum
S&W Steel J Frames 38/357 preferably 3" with Pinned on Front Sights.

S&W K Frames are very shootable, and still small enough to conceal carry. They carry 6 rounds.

315 Night Guard is a 38 K Frame Airweight snub. The only air weight I recommend. Comes with a Front Night Sight that will need replaced with a new one.

The SP101 Snub only holds 5 rounds, but is also very shootable. It has a changable front sight so you can go Fiber optic or Night Sight.

Bob R
Old February 18, 2018, 01:45 AM   #65
deserted

Other...3" SP101 .327. My EDC is a 4 5/8" Single Seven in .327. Perfect for me.
Old February 18, 2018, 01:56 PM   #66
Normana

Charter Arms Bulldog
Old February 24, 2018, 01:31 PM   #67
tubeshooter

Just to update - I have been carrying around that 3 inch model 60, and it's not as bad as I thought. Sometimes it pays to think in terms of another holster instead of another gun.

I did get that 3" GP100 anyway, though. Once I held it in person, I could see for myself that the weight difference over my old SP101 isn't as bad as I had feared. I am happy with my decision so far. If the OP is looking for something truly different from the 9mm already in use, a longer barrel of course will provide better .357 performance.
Old March 8, 2018, 11:53 PM   #68
Johny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliottsdad View Post
Which would you go for? Why?
Thanks for the input and take care!
I realized this thread is a tad dated but it was still on the front page and it's interesting in the choices you listed. I could not vote on the poll because it was closed, but anyway, of the ones you listed the 'sweet spot' is the the model 60.

For two reasons,
#1 it's under 24 oz
#2 it's a 3" inch barrel.

Lite enough to do your belt carry and the real difference in ballistic starts at 3" for .357 magnum from a snubby size, forget about all the rest until you hit a 6" inch barrel than it changes again, but there is significant change from say a 1.8 up to that 3". And still small enough to get it out if you are well in health and experience. Not to mention you will have a fun gun to shoot at the range so you sort of get the best of both worlds.

Some of those you listed will get mighty old when your pants keep sliding down. Just to go from a 13.5 oz. .38 LCR to a 17.1 .357 LCR I had to add suspenders under my shirt to my belt, no kidding.
And I pocket carry, you going on the belt OWB or IWB you will really feel it.

One of the best guns I ever own and still regret getting rid of was the S&W Governor and it only weight just over 33 oz fulling loaded with two .410 bore shells and 4 250g .45 LC. But I can't do a OWB or IWB so I use to pack it in my back pocket with an un-tucked shirt with even sewed hem so I didn't look like a bum, weird experience as I have always been a tuck and go person myself.

Anyway it carried nice and was not uncomfortable but than I got worried someone would see a bulge and think I had fat wallet and try to jack me, they get the gun I'm dead for sure then.

But how I miss BIG Hoss, I always felt safe when I had it. Each person has to access their daily routine and what they may encounter. Mine is up close and personal, the co-cock I will never even see coming. And a .410 shell to the face will make anyone put their hands to their face no matter how big you are or how jacked up on dope you are, enough time hopefully to roll away from it and try to get away or get lucky and nail a .45 LC to their chest. Even at that close a .410 will still give you a pattern of around 5 inches and it's just human nature to grab your face if something touches it, even just one bb could possibly buy you some time.

And a .45 LC defensive round is 'devastating' !
I only carried the a.c.p. for the quicker reloads. I'm gonna hit you as hard as I can.

Only gun I know of that ticks all the right box's, Carry, House and Range. And believe it or not a nice trigger for a non performance center.
I'll stop now, before I shed a tear for 'ole Hoss.
Old March 9, 2018, 11:02 AM   #69
pete2

Belt carry, the 686 would be great if you can handle the weight. A model 19 feels a lot better. This being said I have a 642 for carry, usually IWB or in a pocket. I don't like heavy guns for carry.
Old March 9, 2018, 12:27 PM   #70
Rafsob

You should think more of putting as many of these revolvers in your hands and see which one feels goo to you. If possible get to shot as many as possible and see which ones feel and shots good to you What feels good to me may not feel good to you!!!