The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 13, 2018, 08:21 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Rifle hard case

The majority of my rifles have soft cases. Started to look online for hard cases. With so many to choose from, don't want to get the wrong one specially since most likely will order on line. I am interested in the foam where I can pluck out to fit the rifle as needed. I have seen lower end cases. Honestly not looking for Pelican cases as not looking to spend much but can go up to $100 if descent price range. Is there any advantage from plucked foam other than custom fit vs the "cone" foam type?

The one bad thing I can think of for the plucked foam is if one sells a rifle.... Most likely the new one won't fit properly.

Thanks in advanced.
Old August 14, 2018, 05:49 AM   #2
DPI7800

Don’t have a suggestion for inexpensive hard cases, I use Pelican so no help there.

But I will say go with the custom fit (you cut it out) vs. pluck and fit or the egg crate (cone shape). The pluck will start to pull apart everywhere after a while causing a loose fit for your firearm. The egg crate can also allow some slippage under hard use.

You can always get new foam for the case to cut and shape for other firearms. If you go to a local upholstery store you can get the foam for about $25-$35. Or you can pay the higher price by ordering the exact same product as a replacement part from the hard case manufacturer.

I understand everyone has a different budget, I have one friend who only buys AI rifles and another that will only buy Ruger American because that is what their budgets allow.

Whatever your budget is I say you need to determine what level of protection do you need for you firearm. Is it just to go from home to the range, home to hunt camp, rattle around in back of truck for 1 1/2 hours from hunt camp to honey hole or to suffer the tortures of baggage handlers at the airport.
Old August 14, 2018, 09:16 AM   #3
ninosdemente

Thanks for the reply.

Type of transportation is mostly to the range and during the hunting season (back of truck). No traveling via airplane.

Can you provide a link to the case(s) you have. I have a couple of rifles I am wanting to get cases for (42"-46").
Old August 14, 2018, 09:19 AM   #4
TrueBlue711

My good hard rifle case is made by Plano. They're around $100. Really good quality and the foam is in cubes, so you can pluck out what you need to make your rifle fit. I like that better than the foam you need to actually cut.

The case is aircraft travel quality: has wheels on the end so you can drag it and it is "porter proof" (i.e. can be tossed around and whatever is inside would be fine). It has 5 locks on it, so it can't even be partially opened to see what's inside. If you plan on ever traveling/flying with your rifle, I would suggest getting one of these.
Old August 14, 2018, 12:31 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...No traveling via airplane..." In that case, any, um, case will do. The type of foam makes no difference. The $44.99 Plano from Cabela's will work the same way the $269.99 Pelican case does.
The hard case I have is so old I couldn't tell you who made it. It's green, holds 2 long guns securely and the lock works.
Old August 14, 2018, 02:58 PM   #6
ninosdemente

TrueBlue711... can you provide a link to that case you have. Have you noticed what you have plucked out to be loosening over time? (curious)

T. O'Heir... I just seen those at Cabela's yesterday. Was tempting to getting one of those... guess just wanting to avoid those if possible.

Thanks guys.
Old August 14, 2018, 04:01 PM   #7
ninosdemente

I found this one... though on backorder... I can spend this much although will be more with shipping/tax if applicable.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...-polymer-black
Old August 17, 2018, 05:55 AM   #8
sako2

cabelas has their brand on sale. basically the same as a pelican.https://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...6.uts?slotId=2
Old August 18, 2018, 07:35 AM   #9
std7mag

While at one of my "local" gun shops (35 miles away) i came accross a rifle case that holds the rifle upright, instead of laying down. Had a cradle the rifle sits in, and velcro straps to hold it in place.
Has positions for 2 locks.
I don't recall the manufacturer. I will look next time i'm there.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 18, 2018, 09:34 AM   #10
Don Fischer

Something I've noticed about case's that come with fine shotgun's, seem's like none have foam in them! They are made to fit the gun and lined with what looks like heavy felt. I had one for a Savage 330 I made myself years ago out of wood, no liner. I'm going to make some for the SxS's I have now one of these days. being retired I've grown somewhat lazy! Gonna be wood and fit the individual guns. I don't really care for sticking my gun's down inside foam Might be alright if the foam was lined with felt!
Old August 18, 2018, 10:21 PM   #11
std7mag

Wow, i don't think a Gunwerks rifle (about $5,000) even comes with a case like that.
Thinking mostly Westley Richards, or Holland & Holland. And your looking north of 12K for one of those.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 20, 2018, 11:55 PM   #12
ninosdemente

thanks sako2 for the suggestion... although I like the case, just not the inside foam.