The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 14, 2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Duxman

38 Super OPEN gun review

Finally got a chance to test my 38 Super open competition gun . Para Frame, Caspian slide, Nowlin 38 super barrel and compensator.

First let me give some Kudos to HSMITH and Lurper for their invaluable help and advice throughout this whole process. Thanks guys!

Cleaning and field stripping this gun was a pain! It was my second 1911, but first with full length recoil rod. After much consultation, and a lot of research, pain and frustration - finally figured it out and I only cut myself twice!
(Hex rod definately required....)

At the range I tried 4 different types of 38 super ammo. Armsocor, Remington, Magtech, and Winchester. Out of the 4, only Magtech failed with 1 FTE after every other shot. The other 3 functioned flawlessly.

The trigger is very good. Probably the best 1911 trigger I have ever tried. Crisp, clean break at 3.5 Ibs.

Accuracy is phenominal. It took 7 rounds to center the red dot. Once centered, it was like I turned into Todd Jarrett. Suddenly everything I aimed at, I hit. Bulleyes were coming fast and furious.

Recoil - barely a touch more than a .22 LR. The big gun along with the compensator soaks up the recoil. Very soft to shoot.

Shooting an Open gun is the same as driving a high performance car, when its working - it works excellent. When it does not like the ammo - The Magtech - it choked big time.

Accuracy - 11 (out of 10)
Reliability - 7
Ergonomics - 9 (I really like the 1911 grip angle - fits me like a glove)
Coolness factor - 10 (nothing like an open gun)
Recoil - 10 (22 LR recoil in a centerfire caliber)
Cost - 3 (Very expensive to shoot, and get into open -its a commitment.)

Glad I finally have an open gun, but its going to be a lot of care and feeding. Its like having a second girlfriend. She's hot, demanding but the payoff is there in the end!
Old December 14, 2006, 06:25 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Bear in mind that to be competitive, you are going to have to go to Major power factor ammunition. I know of no such factory load, it will be an advanced handloading project to overload the Super to Major and still maintain a little safety margin.
Old December 14, 2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Hunter Customs

The gun looks good.
With the four port hybrid barrel and the three chamber three port comp the gun will shoot real flat with the right loads.
Good strong doses of slow burning powder and light bullets is what most shooters prefer in a set-up like yours.
With major power being lowered to 165 you really don't have to overload a super to get there.
Winchester's 9x23 factory load will easily make major, as a matter of fact it will make major at the old 175 PF with room to spare.
A lot of 38 super raceguns will feed and shoot the 9x23 without any problems.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 15, 2006, 08:37 AM   #4
Jim Watson

The gun may stand it but I definitely consider shooting 9x23 Win in a .38 Super an overload. But only by about 40%, what's a steady diet of proof loads to worry about, eh?
Old December 15, 2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Duxman

Thanks guys - I will be buying a Dillon next year for reloading purposes.
Old December 16, 2006, 02:15 AM   #6
eerw

when you start reloading..look over your data carefully and make sure you have a chronograph...

slow powders like viht 3n37, 3n38 are great to work with..small rifle primers will help too..jacketed bullets in the 124gr to 135gr will work great too..

the hybrid will bleed off some of your velocity..but you will find with the major PF loads your comp system will work great..

nice looking gun..
Old December 16, 2006, 11:53 AM   #7
ryucasta

Hope this helps...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 38super.pdf (10.8 KB, 489 views)
File Type: pdf 38super3n38.pdf (10.8 KB, 278 views)

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...

Last edited by ryucasta; December 16, 2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old December 17, 2006, 12:34 AM   #8
HSMITH

Rock on Dux!!!!!!

Glad to hear you have it running!! Get some good major PF reloads through it and really be impressed!!
Old December 18, 2006, 09:09 PM   #9
Hunter Customs

Jim,
I take it you have not been in the world of raceguns lately. I have not seen a 38 super racegun blow up since the switch to full ramped barrels even at the old 175 power factor. This is especially true in the world of Hybrid Comp and Tribrid comp raceguns.
I built a customer a four port Hybrid with an X Comp on the end of the barrel in 9x23 caliber and the last I talked with him he was shooting 115's at 1600 FPS.
I have heard of a couple of 9x19's making major blowing.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 18, 2006, 11:23 PM   #10
Jim Watson

All I know about the current crop of raceguns is what I read here there and yonder. I know the guns will take the gaff when set up right, but a .38 Super is not really a .38 IPSC and certainly is not a 9x23. Wonder which Dux has, scope and compensator notwithstanding.
Old December 20, 2006, 02:30 AM   #11
Hotdog1911

$$$$$

"Four a my-noot thar eye thought it was Mr. Watson showing us his new shootin iron"

What the*&^%@?, says Mr. Watson.

When the competetive bug bites you, well, it over. Good Luck and have lots of fun.

Come-on Mr. Watson; you have been wanting one just like it. You can't fool us.
Old December 20, 2006, 09:09 AM   #12
Jim Watson

I threw away all my compensators when I joined IDPA. Wish I had kept one, that little Modified gun was a real sleeper.
Old December 20, 2006, 09:19 AM   #13
HSMITH

38 Super, when built with the right barrel and fitted correctly are COMPLETELY safe at IPSC major power factor. It can also be done with a half dozen or more powders.

If they weren't and really were on the ragged edge they wouldn't last 50K plus rounds. I know a bunch of guys with well over 50K rounds on their open guns in Super. Throats on the barrels are the first thing to typically go, depending on use that can be as long as 75K rounds!! Frames and slides will typically last a couple barrels too, 200K on a frame and slide wouldn't surprise me at all.

I have seen Super brass with 12 loadings on it, each loading was a major load.

I don't buy for a second that 38 Super won't make major PF safely. 9mm can be done safely with some powders!!!