The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 21, 2002, 01:32 PM   #1
Kaylee

make your own? looking for wood source..

well okay.. I'm not looking to make a BP longrifle (yet) -- but I'm trying to find a source for tiger striped maple to make some pistol grips from.. possibly even a rifle stock. Do y'all have any suggestions for places to look?

Thanks!

-K
Old January 21, 2002, 06:30 PM   #2
Salt

Dixie Gun Works sells stock blanks.

http://dixiegun.com/
Old January 22, 2002, 08:46 AM   #3
Cap n ball

That sort of wood is getting harder to find and alot of it is used in instruments such as guitars and violins. Beware of faked striping on ordinary maple. Some people have become really good at producing the stuff. I would look for it at old lumberyards and funiture/cabinetry mills. You may find some good pieces. It's just real hard to find most sorts of fancy wood anymore.
Old January 22, 2002, 10:56 PM   #4
Kaylee

Thank you!

I just got pointed to a wood shop in town, told they might have roughs to work from.. maybe even could band saw me some blanks.. if it works out, I'll post pics.
Old January 23, 2002, 06:34 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you want to go to Friendship, IN in July, the NMLRA hosts its national BP matches and there are rows upon rows of sutlers hawking anything from tanned leather to parts to assemble your own gun - including wood. Wood is something that you should pick out.

BTW, since this is your first time, don't spend too much money on fancy wood right now. Make your mistakes, ahem, learn on cheaper wood and when you're better, go with a higher grade wood then. Also try some of those pre-carved and pre-inletted stocks. Final fitting is left to you.
Old January 24, 2002, 12:58 PM   #6
ed mason

The wood you are looking for should be bought at "TIGER-HUNT" [email protected] 814-472-5161.You will probably pay a little more but they will have what your looking for.
Old January 26, 2002, 10:11 PM   #7
Alex Johnson

Curley maple is not hard to come buy, nor is it particularly expensive as far as stock blanks go. Tigerhunt is a good source as is the Log Cabin. Dixie is pretty expensive, though they do have a good selection. If you are looking for a nice selection of precarved stocks try www.trackofthewolf.com, they probably have some of the best precarved stocks in the business. Beware of wood you buy in local cabinet shops, make sure it is totally dry before you cut into it and also if they are going to cut it make sure you get the grain direction through the wrist right. For really premium curley maple longrifle blanks that are at least 2 1/4" thick you should figure on paying about $125. Halfstocks go for about half of that. A good fullstock pistol blank should sell anywhere from $10-20. Good luck.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain