The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 2, 2016, 12:16 AM   #1
jmar

Remington New Model Army Questions

Does anybody know why the Ubertis have a dovetail front sight? I don't think it's correct, i have seen some originals with silver cone dovetails but those were built with leftover old army parts if i read correctly. I wish they made it correctly. Usually Ubertis are on point

Original

Pietta "Correct Design"

Uberti

Question Number 2
Is this gouge that pietta puts on their topstraps on any originals? Seems to me like a flaw but i have came across an original or two with it aswell.

Original and area in question

Pietta

Original with gouge as well.

Final Question
Every grip i see on replicas seems different than the originals, along with the details i brought up im having a hard time finding the most historically accurate gun which i'm a stickler for. So this question is quite broad but what is the best repro New Model Army? Thanks
Old May 2, 2016, 03:11 PM   #2
Hawg

First of all there wasn't a Remington old model. There was the Beals which didn't have the gouge as you put it. That "gouge" was done because the Beals models fouled so bad. Cutting the frame back and exposing the barrel threads reduced that fouling. The dovetail cone sight is correct for the Beals and the transitional models between it and the 1863 New Model. The 63 is the one currently called the 1858 because of the 1858 patent date. There were several changes during the transition from the Beals to the 63, notably the front sight, loading lever and safety notches in the cylinder. Uberti does the dovetail to make sight adjustments easier. Both Uberti and Pietta use front sights much taller than originals with Pietta being the worst.
Old May 2, 2016, 08:51 PM   #3
Gavlan

Is the " gouge" you talk about that piece of the top strap above the barrel threads that is slightly concave,? . If so it might be there to divert some of the gases and fouling away from the front of the cylinder to help fouling issues.

I dunno just a thought, my pietta has it also.
Old May 3, 2016, 06:16 AM   #4
jmar

Quote:
First of all there wasn't a Remington old model. There was the Beals which didn't have the gouge as you put it. That "gouge" was done because the Beals models fouled so bad. Cutting the frame back and exposing the barrel threads reduced that fouling. The dovetail cone sight is correct for the Beals and the transitional models between it and the 1863 New Model. The 63 is the one currently called the 1858 because of the 1858 patent date. There were several changes during the transition from the Beals to the 63, notably the front sight, loading lever and safety notches in the cylinder. Uberti does the dovetail to make sight adjustments easier. Both Uberti and Pietta use front sights much taller than originals with Pietta being the worst.
Well since these are replicas i expected them to be faithful to the originals problems and all. The gouge is only on a few out of every thousand originals i bet, most likely a accident. On Piettas it's on almost every single one. Same thing on the Uberti, those sights never came on the gun originally so why add them...?
Old May 3, 2016, 06:19 AM   #5
jmar

Quote:
Is the " gouge" you talk about that piece of the top strap above the barrel threads that is slightly concave,? . If so it might be there to divert some of the gases and fouling away from the front of the cylinder to help fouling issues.

I dunno just a thought, my pietta has it also.
Maybe but some Piettas don't have it which means it isn't consistent in their design and most likely just carelessness. Even if it was intended they should be making the guns original as their point is to be replicas not reproductions.
Old May 3, 2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Hawg

Pietta makes a lot of crap that isn't historical. Nobody's is true to the original. Uberti is closer in size to the original. Pietta's are a little on the big side and Pietta grips are really fat with proud wood at the top.
Old May 3, 2016, 04:19 PM   #7
Gavlan

Yup
Old May 3, 2016, 04:42 PM   #8
Mk VII

People got tired of the gun shooting high - just like the originals shot high. And they got tired of having to aim off. I see plenty of originals with the earlier 'turnip' front sight too - and plenty with the milled sight (I mentally call it the 'scalloped' sight) which probably provides a better sight picture, not that these were ever target guns, just 'minute of guy' was what they needed.