The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 18, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1
old fart

longevity?

how long do hammer or firing pin springs last in a pump shotgun? i have a chance to get some wolf springs cheap, but don't want to buy what i might never need. also are they easy to replace? thanks
Old February 18, 2014, 07:36 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

I picked up a pre-owned/used Ithaca Model 37 in 20 gauge. Shoots very well, but I've taken it down to refinish the stocks and give it a good cleaning. I don't think the previous owners ever cleaned it.

As I have said shoots and functioned like a new gun, looking up the serial number I have found the gun was made in 1939 -- so I think springs will last a long time.
Old February 23, 2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Sheikyourbootie

My grandfathers Ithaca 37, I am still using. It's NEVER been detail stripped, is still reliable and has had no timing issues with the shell stop. Purchased in 1949, huge pits of rust on the receiver and barrel.

I'm thinking of sending off to Ithaca for refinishing, and fitting the receiver to accept interchangeable barrels. Springs should last for decades.
Old February 23, 2014, 11:12 AM   #4
the rifleer

They don't really wear out. I would not invest in new springs, I think thats silly. Thats like buying a new steering wheel for your car because its going to wear out sometime.