The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 10, 2014, 11:00 AM   #1
BoogieMan

One hunting shotgun for everything

I am in the market for a new scattergun. Passed my BPS on to my oldest son and my Gold Fusion on to my younger son. I hunt waterfowl, upland and end up shooting sporting clay often enough (not competitive). So I am thinking a Maxus. I was very impressed with the Gold so the Maxus just seems the way to go. As far as deer I like my black powder for firearm season (NJ) and home defense the .40 and .357 will be just fine. So leave out those reasons for a shotgun.
Any reason why I might be wrong? Anyone have any issue with there maxus? Is the A5 or any other SA Shotgun a better choice for some reason?
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=011&tid=645
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 10, 2014, 11:42 AM   #2
PetahW

Since the new Browning A5 utilizes the Benelli Inertia Drive systen, and is not a long-recoil action, why not get the real thing ?

The Benelli Ethos:

http://www.benelliusa.com/ethos-shotgun

Old February 10, 2014, 12:03 PM   #3
BoogieMan

The last time I looked at Benelli was when I bought my BPS. At the time I didnt like them at all. I will take a look at one again, especially now that I am looking at SA -vs- Pump. The thing I like about the gas operated systems is the recoil reduction. I had a Francci years ago and hated it. IMO it was the worst SA I had ever handled.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 10, 2014, 03:46 PM   #4
BigJimP

Nothing wrong with the Maxus.../...and while their Gold series is now 10ga only ...they still have the Silver series as well in their semi-auto line / but I'd take a look at all the offerings from Beretta as well - on gas operated semi-autos.

I like the Benelli Super Sport as well...but its Inertia operated - and more money.....but its a good all around gun as well. I've never been an Auto 5 fan...
Old February 10, 2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Virginian

My advice would be to get any good vas operated semi. The Browning is fine. The Winchester is practically the same gun - made for FN now - for less money.
Old February 10, 2014, 08:58 PM   #6
Doc TH

Agree with Virginian except I'd favor Rem 1100 or 11-87
Old February 11, 2014, 06:30 AM   #7
BoogieMan

Looked at the Remmys last year. I have always been a fan of the Wingmaster. The problem I saw with Remy is the weight. They were very heavy and the finish on the ones I saw all looked like the Express. Do they make a more refined version? Kind of like the S/A version of the Wingmaster
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 11, 2014, 07:30 AM   #8
Virginian

I prefer the 1100/11-87 platform as well. I have owned 13 starting in 1963 and still own 5. Right now, for an all around hunting gun, one would be limited to the 11-87. I'd look for a used Premier because I like polished blued steel and walnut.
Old February 11, 2014, 09:39 AM   #9
JimDandy

Since people keep telling you that such and such and so and so are the same internals, why not find out which ones are such and such, and so and so, then look at the furniture. Browning and Benelli and Remington and Winchester will all be using different forends and stocks, with different LOP and so on. Find the internals you like, then shoulder the externals to find that one you like.
Old February 11, 2014, 02:17 PM   #10
CockNBama

Maxus

Recently bought the Maxus, and I think it's terrific. Shoots (hits) better than anything else I have, and looks good.

As most everyone knows, your best choice is the one that fits best, and fit is a strong point with the Maxus.

Good luck.
Old February 13, 2014, 04:24 AM   #11
cdbeagle

The new A5 is known for its harsh recoil, more so than a Benelli. If a shotgun doesn't fit me right I cannot shoot it well at all. I've tried pretty much everything out there. Beretta's are nice but don't fit me. Benelli M2 20 gauge fits me but not the 12 due to stock configuration. The Winchester Walnut Field fits me in 12 gauge but not the 20, again b/c of the stock. The Franchi Affinity fits me in 12 and 20, they have the same stock. Mossberg 930 fits me. Weatherby SA-08 fits me in both gauges, again because they have the same stock. Franchi 720 fits great. I have a Maxus that doesn't fit me. By using shims and an expensive comb raiser it almost fits but not quite. I shoot it okay but not as well as my other shotguns. I love the Maxus and if it fit me right it would be my favorite shotgun. I didn't sell it though b/c my son and daughter's boyfriend shoot it great. I've found that if a shotgun has a 1.5" DAC and cast off, or can be shimmed to such then I shoot it well, if not I don't.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a less expensive semi if it fits, in fact I have two, the 930 and the two Weatherby's. I shoot the Weatherby's the best of my 12 shotguns.

So to me it all comes down to fit. I know guys that can take any shotgun and shoot lights out regardless of fit. My neighbor is a prime example. I just can't do that and I'm envious of those who can.