The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2012, 03:36 PM   #26
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Whats your Best reload for the 270 Winchester.

Quote:
aushunter said: that was from my first test loads & good enough for me!
You know your going to break a few guys hearts here with this grouping Aushunter. Thanks for the down under recipe and pix. Appreciate it. SSMcG
Old July 10, 2012, 10:07 PM   #27
smokey 13

I have a savage 110 270

1rst load I use
Sierra boattail 130 over 60 gr of rl22 win lr primer fed casings
This load shoots sub moa @ 100 yards

2nd load
Nosler ballistic silver tip 130 gr over 47 gr of imr 4320 cci 200 primer fed casings
This load shoots 3/4 inch groups @ 200 yards.
On a bad day this load will shoot 1 inch groups @ 200 yards
Old July 13, 2012, 09:16 PM   #28
crowbeaner

I have 2 loads that I use in the 270:
WW brass, WW or CCI LR primer
130 Hornady Interlock or SST 52.0 of H414/WW760
150 Hornady Interlock or SST 48.0 of H414/WW760
Both loads will shamrock 4 shots out of a good rifle and kill anything they hit with one shot placed in the boiler room of a deer, bear or hog. They don't tear up much eating meat either.
Old July 14, 2012, 02:36 AM   #29
Mike / Tx

Hard to say, I guess I am one of the lucky ones who got a gem off the shelf. It's a Rem 700 BDL and it has digested everything I have put through it with stellar accuracy.

That said my two favorite loads are not anywhere near the norm,however they will both shoot 3/4" out to 200yds.

The first is the Nosler 130gr Solid Base or Ballistic Tip, loaded over 46.5grs of IMR-3031, in WIn cases using Win-WLR primers. Not hardly breaking 2800fps across the chrony, it has dump countless deer and hogs on their noses, and is mild enough that my mom used it until she quite hunting at 70.

The other uses same brass and primers along with the Horandy 150gr RNSP loaded over 50grs of IMR-4350. Another thumper load which has been used to drop plenty of hogs on the spot. Again, nothing fancy or barn burning, but VERY effective and easy on the shoulder and ears. It will also, like the 160gr RN loads from a 6.5x55, reach out and do things way beyond your initial conception of how things should be. Must be something about those long slim bullets....

I now have a load using the 130gr SST loaded over some Ramshot Hunter which is bumping the 3000fps range quite easily. It is sighted in to the mil dots on the Burris scope and will hit within an inch out to 600yds of where I set the proper dot. IT is a pretty decent performer on the hogs at the longer ranges I loaded it for, but I haven't used them on deer yet. From what I have seen with the hogs it might be a touch to much.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:14 PM   #30
RC20

Quote:
The other uses same brass and primers along with the Horandy 150gr RNSP loaded over 50grs of IMR-4350. Another thumper load which has been used to drop plenty of hogs on the spot. Again, nothing fancy or barn burning, but VERY effective and easy on the shoulder and ears. It will also, like the 160gr RN loads from a 6.5x55, reach out and do things way beyond your initial conception of how things should be. Must be something about those long slim bullets....
Other than the bullet that's what I have been working around.

I will say that finding out where the ogive of a specific bullet meets the rifling is the single most important improvement you can make (far exceeds primers and brass and other magic) as well as neck size vs full size (there is a contention the neck size works one part of the brass and weakens it and I am not a adherent to that but its subject to a lot of opinions and I will not say its wrong though some highly respected people do)

We have a Sako that simply does not like factory ammo, but with a custom COAL (I won't publish that as its unique to each and copy cat can cause severe damage) it shot a sub MOA.

That is with a Speer 150 flat base spitzer. Good hunting round, not necessarily a range tack driver. Not much for tack drivers for hunting. 1.5 MOA is more than good enough for hunting, a bit sub MOA is wonderful confidence wise but real world game shooting is never that.

Non hunting bench rest is fun to see what you can do and I will. Then you can play with the COAL gauge a bit more even and fine tune a round.

As for Sure Shot Mc Gee:

That said, I don't care what the age of the gun, running into the 3200 fps with a 270 is downright dangerous.

Not even the old books did that, 130 gr or not.

Also while IMR 4350 is a great powder its not one that shoots the fastest (highest pressure) safe loads in the books (RL22, N160, H4831sc, W760 would be the ones that move a bullet fastest at safe pressures).

That is also guaranteed to shoot out a good barrel in short order.

And the statement "a not a iota more or less is disingenuous". It may shoot well exactly there in YOUR rifle, but not come close in another.

The brass may or may not mater depending on the gun. Federal is good brass, so is Nossler, Lapua and RP. Winchester brass currently had taken a turn for the worst, but the older brass is good.

There is no magic formula. There are good combination that seem to work across the spectrum for a given caliber so are good to start with. IMR-4350 is definitely one of those for the 270 (and 30-06). It may or may not be the perfect one, but it is very likely to get you a good load and that may be good enough.

IMR-4350 shoots clean, unlike W760 so I am not fond of W760. Have not played with the other newer ones (W760 is an older one but did not shoot it back then so do not know if its worse now).

There is no such thing as minimum length tolerance. There is a Case Trim Length specification and for the 270 that is 2.530. Often new brass exceeds it, occasionally it comes in less (that's a manufacture out of tolerance not a specification)

And Hooligan 1 shares this with us: Note that his COAL is wrong, its barely longer than max case lngh (.3XX). Someone should have called him on that. It says something about the authors when they did not. As near as I can tell (Nossler book is deficient in it does not list COAL for at least a bullet size like others it should be around 3.340 specification for Max COAL.

Quote:
Here's my load: 53 grns H4350, CCI 200 LR primer, Hornady Brass, 130 grn Accubond, COAL 2.856. this is a one hundred yd target.
You indeed are on dangerous ground when you start using information that is not in a book (or develop your loads based on the book).

This forum is a good source of general ideas and direction, but ALWAYS check your book for data (and better yet more than one book, there are some rare errors in those some times). All the fun and money saved goes right out the window when the gun blows up, so check my facts as well.

If using old powders use old books, the new powders under same name change.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:41 PM   #31
SFW

Nosler 130 grain BT/BT with 46.0 grains of Varget using CCI 200 primers. I've taken two deer with it. Both deer dropped where they stood with heart/lung shots.
Old October 13, 2012, 04:33 PM   #32
Striker1

Rifle: CZ550 Premium

130 gr Sierra Gameking
Winchester Brass and Primers
H4831SC powder

Special handling:

Uniform flash holes
Lee Factory Crimp Die

Last edited by Striker1; October 13, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:51 AM   #33
bakercity

Whats your best reload for the 270 Winchester

I am just preparing to "first time load" for a .270. components are very hard to find in this area of the country. You load what you can find. With that said, I will be trying the following:
Winchester brass
Remington primers
Sierra bullets (150 gr. game king)
Powder H 4831 SC
Rifle: Winchester model 70, stainless, BOSS, 24 inch barrel, composite stock with snabble.
This is a new-unfired rifle but is older as I am quite sure this is no longer manufactured.
Old January 5, 2014, 10:19 PM   #34
William T. Watts

Personally I like H4831 for this caliber! I've never tried H4831SC

Go to www.imrpowder.com this website covers Winchester, Hodgdon & IMR powders! Good luck! William
Old January 7, 2014, 04:17 AM   #35
Pathfinder45

Bakercity?

As in Baker City, OR? Welcome to TFL. I have never used Remington primers. I like CCI, Federal, and Winchester primers in that order I suppose. As you mentioned, though, you use what you can get. Interestingly, Hodgdon has changed their maximum load for H-4831 with 150 grain bullets since 1998. My model 70 prefers the hotter 1998 data right at maximum. If you have a chronograph available you can explore working up to the maximum loads more safely. My rifle prefers Norma N205 powder, a powder that was replaced decades ago. Accuracy is more important than top velocity....though the 270 has a reputation of delivering top accuracy with maximum loads. If you must run right up to the upper limits I think it's less risky with slow burning, single-base stick powders like H-4831 or IMR-7828. I don't think you can cram enough of either of those into the case to blow yourself up as the max charges with 150 grain bullets will likely be compressed charges. Still, go by the book and be safe. Ball powders are convenient and measure fast but aren't the best for red-line loads. I recommend trimming your cases after every firing unless you are using re-sized 30-'06 cases. Have fun and be safe.
Old January 7, 2014, 09:33 AM   #36
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark
130 gr Nosler Balistic tip.

Practice at long range.

Range the animal.

Aim for the lungs.

Tag the animal.

Leave a gut pile.

Drag out the animal. [oi, does it help to have friends]

Take the animal to the butcher.

Get your wife to cook that meat once a week so you can do it again next year.
Amen! That's what it's all about!

Clarksville, Tennessee
Old January 7, 2014, 04:32 PM   #37
reynolds357

I have had three different .270 Winchesters. I currently have 1. None of the three liked the same load as the others.
Old January 9, 2014, 09:20 AM   #38
hooligan1

Rc, dont freak out, my coal is such because after i attach my comparator to my caliper I zeroe it... Theres no need to call me out...
but thank you for caring....
Old January 27, 2014, 11:29 PM   #39
ForneyRider

130gr BTHP of your choice, CCI 250, Win or R-P brass (fully prepped), 58gr R22. SAMMI max length, has been very, very accurate out of a variety of rifles.
Old February 17, 2015, 12:58 PM   #40
ekp

This is an older post but I have a question on this topic. My 270 was built in 1947 and has a deep throat. Winchester PP bullets shoot the best with my reloads. I have not been able to get any for well over a year. Does anyone know why? Does anyone have a source?
Old February 18, 2015, 03:37 PM   #41
Pathfinder45

Some questions.....

What rifle do you have? How do you know you have a deep throat? What is the maximum length cartridge that will reliably feed a full magazine through your rifle?
In my observations, the profiles of your basic spitzer soft points from Sierra, Speer, and Nosler Partitions are all very similar, but Hornady Spirepoints are entirely different. With maximum magazine length loads using the first three, the bullets never touch the rifling in my 270. However the Hornady Spirepoints will cram into the rifling before I've reached the limits of the magazine. If you haven't tried Hornady bullets, you should give them a try before you go into more expensive options.
Old December 1, 2016, 04:38 PM   #42
sig220mwxxxx

My current 270 rifle load

I have had several 270s over the years. I have one now and it is a Winchester model 70 featherweight grade III. I have used h4831 or h4831sc on all of them with 130 grain bullets either Nosler ballistic tips, accubonds or Hornady spires. I found using a magnum primer has tightened up the groups. My current rifle shoots this load well. 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip over 59.5 grains of h4831sc over a CCI 250 magnum large rifle primer. 1/2 inch at 100 yards. I have shot smaller groups with it when shooting more often though.
Old December 1, 2016, 06:11 PM   #43
jimdeere

55 gr. of the old standby IMR 4831 behind 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tips.
Bullet seated to a depth to chamber in all 5 of my .270's.
I once shot a doe between the eyes at about 100 yds.
The Ballistic tip mushroomed perfectly and the base of the bullet protruded through the skin on the back of her head.
Luckiest shot I ever made.
I will say that Remington CoreLoks have always performed well for me, also.
Old December 1, 2016, 10:06 PM   #44
trdjohn71

this thread has been around for sometime, but it's actually timely for me, I've been researching the past day or so about loads for a little used Weatherby 270 win I have in my closet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old December 1, 2016, 11:36 PM   #45
5whiskey

What the hey, I'll play in the zombie thread. My favorite load is exactly 52 grains of winchester 760 powder under a sierra gameking boat tail. All of this on top of a Winchester LR primer. I use federal brass (which I hate but I have hundreds of pieces of it). Load holds less than 1/2 moa in my rifle.I use to neck size, but now I FL resize exclusively, with properly set dies to maximize the fill of the headspace. I also trim with a Lee hand trimmer.
Old December 2, 2016, 01:02 AM   #46
Clark

I have (4) 270s:
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Last edited by Clark; December 3, 2016 at 02:55 AM.
Old December 3, 2016, 07:10 AM   #47
hooligan1

My how times have evolved, I no longer have the rifle that I first replied about in this thread.
I now have an 03a3 custom build in .270 winny, it loves three different bullets so far, 130 Btips, 140 Partitions, and the 150 grn ABLR.
With the Btip, I'm using a stout load of IMR 4451, the Partition seems to shoot nicely with N160, and the 150 grn ABLR, I use Magpro and CCI 250 primers.
Shot a coyote with the 150 ABLR at 30 ft, he didn't quiver just went straight down, ( through the shoulders).
I took a 90 lb doe at 80 yds, (through the ribs behind shoulder), and she ran 75 yds before coughing up some lung partitcles.
Both times the 150 ABLR passed through, leaving an exit about the size of a half dollar.
Rifle is currently under stock customization because the wrist was a tad fatter than I care for, I should have it done in a week or two.