The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 8, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1
DBotkin

Help me pick a new scope...

I'm looking for suggestions for a new scope. This one will be mounted on a flat top AR varminter. The previous owner had mounted a really nice Leupold on it, which is a fantastic scope but requires about 2" more eye relief than I can get without a mounting solution I don't like.

What I'm looking for:
  • Eye relief of 3" or less, or as close to it as I can get.
  • Reticle suitable for varmint, coyote and target shooting. The Leuopld Varmint Hunter reticle is the best I've seen, but doesn't seem to be available on scopes that won't work for me.
  • Target turrets.
  • Side focus is good, though not an absolute requirement.
  • Fixed or variable power is OK, but I would prefer variable.
  • Looking for at least 12x fixed, or variable with at least 12x max magnification.
  • Priced somewhere under $400 if possible.

I am not ruling out used glass in excellent condition. I have a Leupold 24x on one of my rifles, and a Weaver T-16 on another. Both are excellent scopes, with the Weaver requiring a little more focus effort than I'm looking for. So far the best candidate I have is either a Nikon, or one of Cabela's tactical scopes with interchangeable BDC cams. Not sure about the quality of those, though; I don't want to end up with something I'll regret buying. I have not ruled out swapping around the scopes I have, but I'd rather not.

I haven't ever bought anything more elaborate than a 3x9 for a .22 rimfire; my really good optics are all inherited. What do you guys suggest?
Old January 8, 2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't understand your wanting short eye relief? Why does it matter?

Anyhoo, for lower priced items, I'd look at Mueller. You can get 8.5-25X50 for about $200. I have one and the quality is right there with the Bushnell Elite in every respect, IMO.

If you step up to around $500, you're in the ballpark of the Elite 6500 which is apparently a very nice scope. As you said, there are Nikons in that same price range. A lot of scope in the $400-$900 range are charging you for the name plate, IMO. Over $900 provides some real beneficial quality, under $400 some real bargains. In between, "Buy me cuz it says Nikon, Luepold, etc." on the box.

You can get very high end fixed power in your price range but I've never seen the point in those so I couldn't tell you squat in that arena.

Personally, I think Mueller is the best solution for the budget conscious buyer. I was nervous buying mine since it's a "no-name" so to speak, but I have been pleasantly surprised in every way. You SHOULD get what you pay for but sometimes you CAN get more than you paid for.
Old January 8, 2009, 11:54 AM   #3
DBotkin

Quote:
I don't understand your wanting short eye relief? Why does it matter?
The scope that's on there now requires nearly 5" of eye relief. When I'm shooting, I only have about 3" or so. That's with the scope as far forward in the rings as it will go, and the rings as far forward on the rail as they'll go.

At max magnification it only needs about 4" or so and I can make it work more or less (meaning I'm still out of position and wouldn't shoot all that well). At lower power, though, I have to pull my head clear back out of position to get the proper scope picture. I measured both my other (fixed power) scopes; they have far shorter eye relief and are more forgiving.
Old January 8, 2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that's a ridiculous eye relief! You'll be hard pressed to find a scope (with any magnification) that is less than 3 or more than 4, give or take.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 8, 2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old January 8, 2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Scorch

Send me that old Leupold and I'll send you a comparable quality scope with 3" of eye relief.
Old January 8, 2009, 02:05 PM   #6
DBotkin

Quote:
Wow, that's a ridiculous eye relief! You'll be hard pressed to find a scope (with any magnification) that is less than 3 or more than 4, give or take.
According to Leupold's own specs, the eye relief for this scope ranges from 3.7" at 25x to 5.2" at 8.5x. That pretty much agrees with what I have found. Like I said, either of my old fixed power scopes would do OK in this application, but I don't really feel like playing "musical optics" again and having to re-zero at least one more rifle.

Scorch, gosh, I really appreciate the offer. I'm glad to have a buddy like you. Tell you what, if your comparable replacement scope is attached to, say, a heavy barrel short-action Remington 700, we might have a deal!
Old January 8, 2009, 11:58 PM   #7
DBotkin

Got it. The replacement is a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42mm, which mounts well, points well, and ought to do a fine job. I happened to have a spare set of 1: rings, so all that remains is to get it sighted in - maybe this weekend, if the weather cooperates.
Old January 9, 2009, 12:29 AM   #8
jpwilly

I was going to suggest a Nikon Buckmastar 6-18x40mm, Monarch even better.