The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 23, 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
BobGnKY

Help with Parker?

I'm posting this question here, because I guess this is where I'd have the best chance of getting the right answer.

I have a Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm Stainless, 5" bbl

My dad bought it many yrs ago (when they first came out.) I have no idea what he paid.

I remember shooting it back then, and it didn't seem to be too bad, other than the recoil.

It's mine now, and I've taken it to the range on three separate occasions. First time, it jammed (ftf) and stovepiped long enough for me to get frustrated and put it up. took it home, cleaned it thoroughly, oiled it lightly, and changed the recoil spring out with one from a 1911.

next time out, had lots of failure to feed jams, but not too bad on ejection.

took it home, cleaned it thoroughly again, this time, replaced the short, cheap, pot metal recoil spring guide rod (worn around the flange) with a full length guide rod from a 1911.

next time out at the range, didn't shoot it enough to determine if it had any feed problems. each round I shot would not eject at all. It was like it didn't have enough power to overcome the recoil spring.

I've done a little reading on the net about the parker, and the reviews are generally not good. I found a parts place that claims to have parts, but most of the relevant parts are "out of stock", which leads me to believe I'll have limited parts support for this gun...

My questions are:

1. is there any hope for this gun?
2. If there is, is it something I can do, or am I going to end up financing a local gunsmith's new boat by having it worked on?
3. would a 10 mm collector be at all interested in it? if so, would I get more selling it to them, or trading it in on something at one of the local candy stores?
Old July 23, 2006, 09:53 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

IIRC, they played the same game as other start up gun companies, sending guns to the gunzine writers, and they got the usual writeups and praise from the same guys who never find anything wrong with free guns.

Same old story, hobby business run by guys with a hobby and no business experience, too much competition, too little capital. The went out of business in 1992 and unless parts from other guns will work, you are out of luck. The Blue Book price is only around $350 for NIB, $200-250 average.

Jim
Old July 23, 2006, 09:54 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

IIRC, they played the same game as other start up gun companies, sending guns to the gunzine writers, and they got the usual writeups and praise from the same guys who never find anything wrong with free guns.

Same old story, hobby business run by guys with a hobby and no business experience, too much competition, too little capital. The went out of business in 1992 and unless parts from other guns will work, you are out of luck. The Blue Book price is only around $350 for NIB, $200-250 average.

Jim