The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old September 4, 2005, 03:31 PM   #1
USP45usp

make me ashamed to wear the badge "American" at times like this

He's right you know.

These people are Americans. They are our brothers and sisters as American's.

Doesn't matter what color a person is, where they come from, or what their financial aspects are/were.

Right now, it doesn't matter that the city was below sea level, it doesn't matter what the % is of nationalities or skin color, it doesn't matter what should or should not have been done before the storm.

Right now, our Prayers, our money, and those that can, our help physically are needed. We can bash or be armchair warriors at a later date, right now, fellow Americans need our help.

Wayne
Old September 4, 2005, 04:05 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

The ONLY things that make me ashamed to be an American right now:

1. The virtual animal behavior of those in New Orleans who saw this as an opportunity to loot. Food and water? That's one thing. 30 pair of shoes, sports apparel, or a TV? You should be shot.

2. The appalling number of people who are laying the blame for everything on the office of the President/Government. This has been a situation that has been over 100 years in the making, at the hands of millions of people.

3. The so-called "leaders" of the black community who wasted no time in playing the race card. If these people are your "leaders," it's time to look elsewhere, folks.
Old September 4, 2005, 04:09 PM   #3
sterno

I too am ashamed at what has happened to the great country that my grandfathers used to tell me about. Regardless of race, creed, class, or political affiliation; we're all Americans and that used to mean something.

I hope one day we can make it mean something again.
Old September 4, 2005, 04:12 PM   #4
USP45usp

Mike,

Agreed. But right now, let's do what needs to be done, shed our thoughts about this or that, and let's get those that need it out and sheltered and then worry about what should have been done later.

There will be time enough for conversation later, right now, we just need to get those people out and then rebuild if we can.

Wayne
Old September 4, 2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Wayne-
While I appreciate the sentiment, this thread will only serve to stir the pot. I posted what I did in hopes that we might all jump back for a little introspection. No need to open that wound again here.

Hope you understand.
Rich