The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 29, 2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Gunslick

finally got my ed brown hammer strut

and want to install it and the ed brown spring cups i have and retainer in the msh. question is, the ed brown hammer strut is squared at the end where the stock springfield one is rounded-rounded makes sense since the spring cup is diveted out for a rounded hammer strut. is it okay that the ed brown hammer strut is square and use it with the ed brown spring cup and retainer in the msh.

nothing is wrong with the stock hammer strut just wanted a better piece of material in case you ask.
Old October 29, 2016, 03:34 PM   #2
Nathan

Fundamentally, the Ed Brown part is out of spec. I think it is usable. Hopefully, somebody who has used the part will chime in soon. I looked at the one I bought and returned with those comment in more detail.
Old October 29, 2016, 04:37 PM   #3
Gunslick

What the hell am I supposed to do with a square ended hammer strut. The picture on Brownell's shows one that is square and then about 2 inches of rounded end where it contacts the spring cup. What should I do, send this one back to Brownells? Ahh this kind of crap pisses me off, I've spent 10's of thousands of dollars with Brownell's they need to update their site pics of the parts they sell. What do you do with a square hammer strut, fit it and make it rounded?
Old October 29, 2016, 04:40 PM   #4
Gunslick

Does this part need to be fitted? It is the 823 Ed Brown Hammer Strut.
Old October 29, 2016, 04:59 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
Ahh this kind of crap pisses me off, I've spent 10's of thousands of dollars with Brownell's they need to update their site pics of the parts they sell.
As someone that's dealt with Brownells a number of times I am confident that when you do contact them they'll make it right. I'd add that they'd do that whether you spends 10s of thousands of dollars or $10 total. Maybe the picture is wrong (if so they literally have thousands of pictures to keep track of) or maybe the error was from the supplier. Until then you have a working part. Is this annoying? Sure, but keep some perspective.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 29, 2016, 05:02 PM   #6
peggysue

I've spent 10's of thousands of dollars with Brownell's wOW

Last edited by peggysue; October 30, 2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old October 29, 2016, 05:17 PM   #7
Gunslick

Thanks peggysue. Over the years I have though. And to the previous comment..I don't feel comfortable running this square hammer strut. I emailed them and talked to Cameron and he is going to handle it.
Old October 29, 2016, 05:18 PM   #8
michael t

I think you should just leave that pistol as came from factory. You have done nothing to really improve it. Just tinker tinker . Then ask more questions or complain . Spend money on ammo and range. Might find you have a very nice pistol as is out of the box.
Old October 29, 2016, 05:24 PM   #9
Gunslick

I know I have a nice pistol out of the box. I have only replaced pins and mainspring along with recoil spring. Already over 3000 rounds. Runs great.
Old October 29, 2016, 05:28 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
And to the previous comment..I don't feel comfortable running this square hammer strut.
I meant you have the stock Springfield part to use while you wait for the replacement from Brownells.

Quote:
I emailed them and talked to Cameron and he is going to handle it.
As they would.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 29, 2016, 07:04 PM   #11
Gunslick

Just found out that that is just the way Ed Brown struts are now days and the picture is out of date. It is about 2 mm shorter than my stock srut as well. going to go with a different brand and re-order. Wilson combat or C&S?
Old October 29, 2016, 07:39 PM   #12
Gunslick

Okay I am sticking with the stock hammer strut for now, I did notice the Ed Brown one that I am sending back is a bit shorter. Can anyone here chime in on a good hammer strut to get that will be the same size as the Springfield 1911A1 stainless. I see a few that interest me but they such as Wilson's BP hammer strut states that it is a little bit longer than stock. I don't want that do I? Nor do I want a shorter one? Which hammer strut will be of good quality and the right length?
Old October 29, 2016, 11:30 PM   #13
Gunslick

Come on I bet you other 103 that have visited can give some insight.
Old October 30, 2016, 12:17 AM   #14
RsqVet

I have found Wilson parts to require the least fitting of 1911 parts I have purchased.

Great quality too.

First question is is your springer part to spec. Next question is if so or if no so do you want to replicate that exactly, tweak it one way or another. If the Wilson lists long by how much and you can always polish it down to an exact match.
Old October 30, 2016, 12:27 AM   #15
RsqVet

This one looks nice.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/942...rvel-stainless

20 bucks though and most are sub 10 bucks even Wilson, some look more finished on the end than others though I have never had a problem putting whatever finish I want on the end nub
Old October 30, 2016, 09:02 AM   #16
Nathan

Quote:
Just found out that that is just the way Ed Brown struts are now days and the picture is out of date. It is about 2 mm shorter than my stock srut as well. going to go with a different brand and re-order. Wilson combat or C&S?
They were that way 10 years ago! The 2mm part is nifty too since my gun wouldn't even hold the hammer against the fps with that little bonus. Anybody ever ask Ed Brown about this? I'll bet he could enlighten us all.