The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 30, 2012, 10:11 PM   #101
Redhawk5.5+P+

Well, to me there's a difference in intimidation and just plane scared. If somebody pulls a gun on me they rule the school and I've let my instincts kick in and I was calm. Both times it work out for me. I never did get a sense of fear before during or after.

I can't think of a time I ever was intimidated by a gun. Now a large vehicle coming at me, well I never did quite crap my pant, it always happens so fast.
Old November 30, 2012, 10:40 PM   #102
crazycrave

Hmm... a 2" 44mag wheelgun will do it everytime
Old November 30, 2012, 11:15 PM   #103
PT-92

bearclaw46,

I really like the Taurus Judge but I wish they would include .45acp chambering only because I'm cheap (have 0 .45LC but lots of .45acp). I hear 'rumors' Taurus is going to market a .45LC/.45ACP/.410 version soon so I will hold out a bit longer. Suffice it to say they indeed are quite 'intimidating' as well as just plain fun and practical as I see it. I also like the S&W Governor but wow are they expensive (at lest for me ....)
Old November 30, 2012, 11:52 PM   #104
Mesquito Whitey

Someone probably already said this, but to me, the most intimidating gun is the one pointed at me.
Old December 1, 2012, 09:49 AM   #105
Dragonheart2

Any gun pointed at me in the hands of a woman!
Old December 3, 2012, 08:55 PM   #106
sgn100391

Old December 3, 2012, 09:53 PM   #107
PT-92

Quote:
Dragonheart2

Any gun pointed at me in the hands of a woman!
Not sure if you jest or...?

However, it does raise the issue/question of are women (in general) more likely to actually resort to 'pulling the trigger' due to their physical limitations vis-a-vis their male counterparts?

Statistically speaking, I do not know and will see if I can find the data (and pardon the digression...).

Old December 4, 2012, 12:33 PM   #108
tipoc

Quote:
However, it does raise the issue/question of are women (in general) more likely to actually resort to 'pulling the trigger' due to their physical limitations vis-a-vis their male counterparts?
It is off topic but...

It's unclear to me exactly what you're pointing at. Do you mean that some women may feel more threatened by a male attacker due to the usually greater upper body strength of men and so may be more inclined to shoot in self defense? I don't know how that could be tracked. But a small woman could look more justified in shooting in self defense in some circumstances if attacked in the eyes of a DA or jury.

As you know not all women are smaller or weaker then all men, neither physically nor mentally, so again, hard to generalize.

In general women get in less shooting incidents then men, meaning that "in general" they are overall less likely to "pull the trigger". They also place themselves in fewer situations where anyone is inclined to be shot. This could be changing a little.

There is no way of tracking accurately what It looks like you raised. It happens seldom, there are many factors involved, and anyone who shoots a fella in self defense better say "I feared for my life".

tipoc
Old December 4, 2012, 04:32 PM   #109
Glenn Dee

The one thats pointed at me
Old December 4, 2012, 07:26 PM   #110
lunger

I can remember a guy with a Smith model 41 that always intimidated me on the Bullseye range but I think you mean something else