The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 5, 2011, 04:11 PM   #1
bmxstreet15

Choke tube question

I have a question for the other smiths out there. I have a Remington 1100 20ga with a factory VR Skeet barrel. This is one of the X/N number guns (12 ga reciver). The customer wanted Rem Chokes installed in the barrel but after measuring the OD of the barrel about .250" back from the muzzle I come up with .709" The min OD for Rem Choke is .720". I am wondering what other choke options I may have. We have Rem/Win choke and Truchoke taps and reamers on hand. I offered to send it to Briley for their thin wall choke system but the customer did not want to spend the $200 that Briley charges for the service. Usually if the Rem/Win choke won't work, the Truchoke will. Turns out the min OD for Truchoke is .705" and I don't want to try the Truchoke and have the end of the barrel blow off (seen it happen). What are my options, and is there anyplace that will rent reamers/taps? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 5, 2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Scorch

Briley is the best choice unless the customer wants to buy a new barrel.

Brownell's used to sell a barrel swaging tool to expand the end of the barrel so you could flare and then thread for chokes, but it would not work with ribbed barrels and there were a lot of split barrels. You could cut off the barrel, but that has its own drawbacks.
Old January 5, 2011, 04:59 PM   #3
BigJimP

I don't think the 1100 is a gun worth sending to Briley either ....so I agree with your customer in that regard.

I don't think you have another choice ..../ I'd suggest you tell him its not adviseable to do anything else. He should really just consider buying a new barrel / or another gun which might be the smartest way to go.
Old January 5, 2011, 10:08 PM   #4
bmxstreet15

I suggested to him that he find a barrel in the choke size he desires or buy a new shotgun. I also told him I would look into it further, thats why I am here lol.
Old January 6, 2011, 02:49 PM   #5
BigJimP

Sometimes the first answer is just the right answer ....

I hang around a few used gunshops - and I hear questions like this come up all the time on whether they should buy a new barrel for an older shotgun or pay to have screw in chokes put in an older barrel...

Its interesting how often the guns owner - thinks they ought to be able to get screw in chokes done for $ 50 ...and new barrels ought to cost no more than $50 ....and when they hear the real numbers ...at least half of them get angry ... Its amazing...
Old January 6, 2011, 03:53 PM   #6
zippy13

bmxstreet15,
You might point out to your customer that the R-1100 Skeet barrel is a premium item for a specific application and is best left as is.
Old January 6, 2011, 06:53 PM   #7
guncrank

a thin wall tru-choke will work.
I have that tooling.
Willing to help you out.
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old January 7, 2011, 10:04 PM   #8
GunCat

I come up with .709" The min OD for Rem Choke is .720". I am wondering what other choke options I may have. We have Rem/Win choke and Truchoke taps and reamers on hand. I offered to send it to Briley for their thin wall choke system but the customer did not want to spend the $200 that Briley charges for the service. Usually if the Rem/Win choke won't work, the Truchoke will. Turns out the min OD for Truchoke is .705"

You are correct with your .705” minimum for the 20ga Tru-Choke. Check your barrel's OD about 1” behind the muzzle. If the OD there is still over.705”, the bore is concentric with the outside walls, and the bore diameter does not exceed .626” you are OK to go with the 20ga Tru-Choke tubes.
Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.
Fred Bear 1902-1988