The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2008, 07:20 AM   #1
wallask

Hang fires

I have a 7BR XP100 that I have owned and shot for over 30 years.
Lately, I have been getting hang fires using WW748 and H335, ball powders. You could liken this to black powder shooting. Using IMR/H4895, H322, and other stick type powders, I have no problems. I have tried different primers, both standard and mag. Now here's the kicker, I recently got hold of some reworked cases with a large primer pocket-no problem setting off the 748. All hangfire loads show a good deep firing pin indent. Cleaning the primer pocket makes no difference. Any ideas? I do not need to use a ball powder except for the fact that they meter very easily, and are very accurate loads.
Old September 10, 2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Ulrice

How old are your powders?
Old September 11, 2008, 06:01 AM   #3
wallask

All powders and primers were newly purchased. Since I moved to different areas of the country, while this problem was occuring, powders were purchased accordingly.
Old September 11, 2008, 11:09 AM   #4
mkl

You might try a flash hole uniforming/deburing tool. I use one for my rifle cartridges, and it is sometimes surprising the amount of brass shavings the tool cleans out of the flash hole.

I've got an old XP-100 in .223 and just love that little gun. Never had your problem, but I do uniform/debur the flash holes in my reloads.