The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 5, 2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Abu Akrum

Safariland vs Bianchi

I would like some info on these two brands for duty holsters. I noticed there is some preference for safariland with little mention of Bianchi on other threads. I looked at the Bianchi speed break and their SL 321 how do these compare with the Safariland models. Thank you.

Last edited by Abu Akrum; April 5, 2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old April 5, 2007, 12:28 PM   #2
liliysdad

Safariland is the only name in Duty Holsters. The Bianchi uses nylon for the body, while Safariland uses a Kydex-like material that is much sturdier. The Bianchi uses a poor belt mounting system that fails easily to gun grabs. The Safariland, especially when using the older style belt mount as opposed to the UBL, uses a much better mounting system which is very resistant to breaking. Bianchi uses a thumb break only, while Safariland offers a thumb break, the SLS Hood, or the ejection port lock, along with other systems, like the Raptor finger break, or the ALS break.

In the end, Bianchi makes good accessories, but when buying a Holster, Safariland is where its at.
Old April 5, 2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Abu Akrum

One more thing

I'm getting ready for an LE academy and their standards state either double or triple retention. Being just out of the military I'm not used to having all these options, at the lower level, we always were issued equipment and then later supplemented that gear when we had a clue.
Old April 5, 2007, 01:39 PM   #4
liliysdad

I prefer Level 2, I cant stand Level Three. My prefernce in holsters is the Safariland 6280, which is classified as a Level 2. If you must have a Level 3, I would look at the the new 63series Safarilands with the ALS.
Old April 5, 2007, 03:11 PM   #5
BillCA

Safariland has always made a better holster, I think, than most of the duty gear manufacturers. Back in the 70's, Safariland was still using waxed linen thread instead of nylon thread like Bianchi. It didn't cut the leather and prematurely wear out the holster. Too, I liked the fact that most of Safariland's holsters could be ordered with elk-suede lining to protect your gun's finish.

As far as modern holsters go, I've looked at both Safariland & Bianchi in a more detached manner than I would have 30 years ago. Safariland's products still seem to be better designed than Bianchi's.

In the late 70's when gun-snatches were rising, a lot of us invested in a Gerber(tm) boot knife, carried on the weak-side or on the inside of the right boot-top. In the event of a grab, you lock the perp's hand on top of the gun and draw the knife, reaching over to cut across the top inside of the forearm just below the elbow to disable the perp's arm.

This, of course, presumes you're not carrying your 2" J-frame in a shoulder holster and can't just shoot the perp.
Old April 11, 2007, 10:14 PM   #6
FM12

So0me of the new "Safarilaminate" is crap in the application of thumbreak holsters. This stuff breaks pretty easily and fairly often. There leather stuff is top-notch, though. I've worn their gear professionally for 30 years. Only problem was the safarilaminate stuff.

If you can use a holster for a 5906 or 5904 Smith & Wesson, I've got one for you at a good price, black basketweave, triple retention model 070, I think.