The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 18, 2006, 03:27 PM   #1
panhandlepr

Ackley Improved chambers

I have 3 rifles I would like to chamber to Ackley chambers. Is it possible to rent a reamer and go/no go gauges and hand ream the chambers with an extended T-handle as there is not too much steel to remove? I'm a retired tool maker and don't have access to a lathe. I feel it should be an easy project but want to check before I do this as there is probably something I haven't thought about. Calibers are 25-06, 30-06 and 338-06. What are your thoughts on this?

Panhandlepr

Report Post | IP: Logged
Old July 19, 2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Scorch

Go here
http://www.reamerrentals.com/

Without a lathe, the job gets harder to do right, but it isn't impossible. I'm not sure what you're trying to gain. There will be some velocity improvement, but not a lot. I had a 30-06 AI years ago, and it only shot 100 fps faster than the factory configuration. Not that 100 fps is bad, but it's an awful lot of trouble for the modest gains. With modern powders and components, you can almost match the performance gains by handloading.

A lot of the old 10% gains claims came from comparing factory loads to super hot handloads (some of which were dangerously overpressure). You can get some gains, but you can't go back after you've cut a chamber to AI configuration. Not enough taper in the AI case for you to be able to set back the barrel and recut the chamber to factory.
Old July 19, 2006, 05:07 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

improved chambers

Dear Shooter:
I agree totally with SCORCH, the improvement is minimal but I respect, Mr. Ackley tremendously - he certainly made a number of cartridges.
I, to, lean to standard chamberings - but some "wildcats" have been certified by SAAMI and are now "standard" chamberings.
A very, very excellent hand-book is the A-Aquare Shooters Manual and I would suggest it to you.
As SCORCH tells you cutting an "improved" chamber is a daunting task without a lathe - but, if you rent a reamer, use plenty of cutting iol and feed it slowly by hand it can be done. I,on ocassion have seen chatter in chambers cut by hand but that is gennerally due to poor technique or a dull reamer - there are variables but generally on imporving chambers little would be removed as far as steel stock.
There are plenty of big-game cartridges - the 416 Taylor and the 9.3X62, the 9.3X64 (the equal of the 375, are varied and many)!
The 358 Winchester is excellent - the plain 30-06 just cannot be beat.
We tend to sniff at the metric cartridges but they were, and are, ahead of their time.
I have built several of them and the 9.3X62 and the 416 Tayler, the 338-06, these are tremendous cartridges!
I wish you success!
Harry B.
P.S. Although few do it the finest way to leasrn gunsmithing skills is to build a muzzle-loader (not a "kit" or a bubble-packed in line abortion) but a real muzzle-loader - they're simply beautiful and you cannot imagine how a round ball (not some Frence sabot driven piece of junk) will shoot and kill!
Old July 20, 2006, 03:17 PM   #4
dfaugh

Quote:
use plenty of cutting oil and feed it slowly by hand
Best advice ever.

As mentitoned the AI dosen't get you alot, although it seems that the smaller the cartidge tbigger (%) gain you can get. One thing that does improve is brass life, which is nice if you reload. I'm currently gonna try the same thing (reaming a barreled action) VZ-24 Mauser to 8mm-06 AI.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 20, 2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Harry Bonar

DEFAUGH--- chambers

Sir: May I add Tomas Paine to your quote?
" These are the times that try mens souls.
The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot
may shrink from the defence of his country
But he that stands it now
deserves the thanks of men and women everywhere.

Tyranny, like hell is not easilly conquered
But the more difficult the struggle
the more glorious the outcome.
Heaven only knows how to place a proper price on her goods
And should not such a celestial item a freedom
be not highly esteemed.
Thomas Paine

Pray that there be no violence!