The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 10, 2002, 08:51 PM   #1
Pilate

Wood grip finishes

Not sure this is the right forum, as it's not exactly "smithing" but,

I'm going to pick up a set of wood grips (a first for me) for my Kahr MK9 (and if it works out, maybe for others). My intention is to refinish them starting with a black stain. From there, I need a recommendation for a final finish that won't be slippery with sweaty hands. In the description of the Hogues on the Kahr site, they state "they are hand polished to a non-slippery sheen using natural Carnauba wax which will not crack and peel like cheap, sprayed-on finishes". Is this a common finish that I can get at Home depot? I pictured car wax when I read it... I'm looking for a result similar to the Kimber Eclipse II (actually I thought I was being original up until a moment ago when I realized that this look has been used on the Eclipse). This isn't something that I want to trial-and-error with, so I'd appreciate your informed advice.
Old April 11, 2002, 12:08 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

I'm not sure Home Depot type stores will have Carnauba waxes that are simular to what Hogue uses. You might try Woodworker's Supply or one of the other hobby wood supply companies. They do have it.

Whether a wax will work depends on the wood used. Most of Hogues woods are the very hard types of hard woods like Coco Bolo and Rosewood. They are very hard and closed grain, so wax will work. An open grain wood like Walnut or Oak won't.
Old April 11, 2002, 06:14 PM   #3
JoeHatley

www.brownells.com has small tins of pure carnauba wax. Works great!! I redid a few handgun grips a couple of years ago and they came out looking very nice.

Good Luck...

Joe