The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 8, 2012, 11:30 PM   #26
Sport45

Is it possible that the loads with some powders are erratic until you approach 1000 fps?
Old July 9, 2012, 07:18 AM   #27
Hawg

I kinda doubt it.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:27 AM   #28
Wild Bill Bucks

I bought my .44 ruger as a close range weapon for deer. Sometimes when I'm in my stand, I get surprise shots that are 10 to 15 yards, and put me in a situation where I just can't get the rifle turned around for a shot, so I can draw my pistol from my belly holster without as much movement. This gives me deer in the freezer, that I would not have gotten otherwise.

I'm like Hawg, I figure if I can hit a can at 25 yards, that's all the accuracy I need from the gun. They don't call me "Wild Bill" because I'm a sharp shooter.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:35 AM   #29
Hawg

You're lucky. We can't even carry a pistol in the woods during deer season.
Old July 9, 2012, 02:36 PM   #30
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

They didn't have paper targets when you started shooting did they Hawg, or paper?
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 9, 2012, 03:06 PM   #31
Hawg

Oh yeah, paper had been around for a number of years. Targets? Nah don't remember any.
Old July 9, 2012, 04:14 PM   #32
ZVP

Been an intresting string!
Personally I feel that anything you can do to increase accuracy is worthwile and if higher velocities mean accuracy then load em heavy!
If you can shoot more accuratelly, than those cans will die faster and more often. I think it's ludricus to limit yourself to a "Minute of Beercan" when you can go for sub 2 "!
They all prefer different things to shoot most accurate. Find it and stick with it.
ZVP
Old July 9, 2012, 05:27 PM   #33
mykeal

Quote:
if higher velocities mean accuracy
I've never seen, or experienced, any data showing that to be the case. In my experience accuracy, as measured by group size, increases and then falls off after a certain point as velocity increases. Where the decrease in accuracy occurs varies with the gun and type/shape/mass of projectile.
Old July 9, 2012, 05:36 PM   #34
North East Redneck

10 0Z? Never even seen those. All we can get is 16 0Z. $35 for a 10 0Z. That's not cheap!!
Old July 9, 2012, 05:55 PM   #35
Newton24b

heres the question, when your playing with your powder puff/powder saving slow velocity loads, are you using fillers and such to make sure the bullet gets seated close to the chamber mouth? for some reason i once heard you have to do that with the powder puff loads.
Old July 9, 2012, 07:06 PM   #36
North East Redneck

Powder puff loads.... Lol.
Shooting 23 gr in the 1858, I usually just shoot powder and ball. Have used corn meal and cream of wheat. Don't really see that it helps much. Maybe its just me.
Old July 9, 2012, 08:55 PM   #37
Hawg

I've tried it. I see no difference where the ball is seated. You might notice a small improvement with a bench rest.