The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2020, 06:05 PM   #26
ghbucky

Quote:
Lee Deluxe Carbide Pistol Four-Die Set 90963 Caliber: 9mm Luger
I have the identical die set and use it to seat lead SWC bullets and never had any kind of issues with it.

As pointed out previously, you need to make sure your lever stroke is consistent and bottoms out on the press each evolution. The fact that your variances are now in the 1000s indicates that you are getting it down.
Old July 3, 2020, 08:03 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 long
Might want to try a different crimp die. I load 45 Colt with a Lee 4 die set & was having trouble with the FCD seating the bullet anywhere from .007" to .015" deeper.
I don't see how that's even possible. The FCD doesn't have a seating stem.

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-d...ory-crimp-die/

Quote:
I don't think Lee makes one for 9mm, but maybe try one from a different manufacturer.
9mm doesn't need a collet style crimp die. 9mm takes a taper crimp, not a roll crimp.
Jeepaholic
Old July 5, 2020, 10:09 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

What happens is the edge of the case mouth can grip the bullet so that as the case mouth is rolled in and down, it moves the bullet down with it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 5, 2020, 10:24 AM   #29
Mike38

.012 of an inch variation is nothing for me to be concerned about in a handgun that's shot at, what, a maximum of 25 yards?. It would be for rifle shooting at 300 + yards, but not a handgun.
Old July 5, 2020, 10:41 AM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

I've done a lot of 50-yard slow fire bullseye target shooting, so I always look at 50-yard accuracy. But it still doesn't matter. A self-loading pistol or a revolver that can shoot under 2 moa at 50 yards is considered exceptionally accurate by most folks. A rifle that shoots under ½MOA at 100 yards is considered exceptionally accurate by most folks. That's a 4:1 difference in expectation. Small changes in seating depth may be noticeable on paper with the rifle, but you'll never be able to distinguish them with something shooting a factor of four wider spread to begin with.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 5, 2020, 11:15 AM   #31
GTOne

This one is so common, and a new guy will go crazy trying to chase the OAL with the seater.
I always say pull ten or a dozen bullets out of the box and put the calipers to them, and you will find the variance there.
Even match bullets will vary due to manufacturing tolerances.
Since most seating stems do not index on the very end of the bullet that variance will match the set you put the calipers to.
It is simple math, and it is not important, at least not anything to fret about.
The important distance is from the ogive(the curved side/or side of the bullet) to the lands of the rifling in your chamber.