The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 2, 2020, 08:19 PM   #26
T-90

Thanks for the advice guys. Took it to a local gunsmith, he polished what he said was some machine marks on the bolt. Seems to have done the trick.
Old July 2, 2020, 08:33 PM   #27
mehavey

Absent an overly-long case shoulder (or an over-short chamber), I can't see where a bolt burr problem wouldn't have shown up with the rifle unloaded as well.
Old July 2, 2020, 09:01 PM   #28
T-90

It's manually cycling fine now. A little stiff, but much better.
Old July 3, 2020, 06:54 AM   #29
cw308

Just keep it clean , oil and grease , get out there and shoot it
Old July 3, 2020, 12:45 PM   #30
Erno86

May I suggest using a AR15, stainless steel, chamber brush; along with a AR15 chamber rod. Insert the brush (sprayed with your favorite non-chlorinated brake cleaner/degreaser), and rotate clockwise 12 times. Then clean-out with a cloth patch...then oil down.

I also use a Wilson Combat, stainless steel 1911 chamber brush on the chamber of my 45acp Kimber 1911 --- In order to help prevent the action from not fully engaging.

--- George Orwell
Old July 3, 2020, 01:38 PM   #31
cw308

T90
Ballistol in a spray cleans and lubs everything . I use it on all my firearms. What are you using?
Old July 4, 2020, 09:48 AM   #32
stagpanther

Quote:
Sounds like the rifle has tight chamber.
I agree this is a definite possiblity--very easy to check for, drop a cartridge (preferably dummy) into the chamber and drop the bolt from holding the charge handle about 3/4 drawn--see if it chambers correctly and how hard it is to extract. Brass almost always tells the story is my motto--if you see compression scrapes along the sides of the case you likely have an overly tight chamber. Happens not infrequently--I've had 4 AR barrels delivered to me that were cut too tight or short. This can also wipe out the accuracy of the barrel and give you erratic pressure/velocities as the case doesn't have enough room to expand and seal to the chamber.

Last edited by stagpanther; July 4, 2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old July 5, 2020, 07:40 AM   #33
cw308

As a reloader I also brought that up , a reloader could get around those problems. Shooting it it operates fine , it's manually chambering and ejecting is where he was having problems . He seemed to cover all bases and by bringing it to a gunsmithing , I would hope he checked his chamber and lease. I have a friend that shoots a bolt action 308 M24 very accurate rifle but has to clean the chamber after every 5 shots or it starts to operate with a hard bolt lift .