The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 28, 2011, 04:17 PM   #26
wogpotter

Here's another resource for you:
http://www.enfieldrifles.ca/
Pages & pages full of scads & scads of info.

So your #5 is a #4 1/2? So what, if it does what you want & it was a fair price you paid.
Personally I've owned several #4's & have always had a sneaking desire for a reasonably priced #4 "Tanker" (A shortened rifle with full length wood), so they never really existed & Monty didn't chase Rommel out of Tobruk with one, that's fine as long as I paid for a repro of something that didn't exist.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 29, 2011, 04:15 PM   #27
BerdanSS

Hope you get some ammo soon so you can enjoy your rifle (despite all the horse mouthed comments...Um Cheapshooter, you sound kinda like you might be an arfcommer. please tell me I'm wrong. Cuz ahem....you know how those "members" of the shooting community are)

I always liked the look of the No. 5 but I got a Gibbs No. 7 jungle carbine in .308, I obtained it as part of a multi gun deal. And God almighty did it bloody some sholders at the range Not the most accurate rifle I've ever owned, though that may be more from the flinching...but fun. And while hardly NONE of my rifle was "original", it had a new(er) manufacture barrel (of course) a reproduction flash hider and enfield sling. A refinished stock (the stock itself may had seen some WWII action)

The receiver, stock and action I believe were the only things from an "original" No.4. It still had LOTS of britt. marking and stamps, with of course the addition of the Gibbs Rifle Co. stamp. While not true "original" museum pieces, they are (fairly) faithful reproductions and fun collectors items none the less. I also have a absolutely BEAUTIFUL arsenal new Ishy I stumbled across, in the dark dusty back room of the local gun shop for $165 (excellent shooter buy the way)

As far as ammo...have you tried a local Army-Navy surplus store? To avoid purchasing ammo online, I found Traildust Army Surplus. 45min from my house, he has an isle FULL of new manufacture imported ammo. Brass cased, clean in large quantity and in about every obscure caliber I needed including 7.7x58, 7.5 swiss, 8x57JS (hard to find around here in new ammo) and of course, the .303Britt. He even had nice clean, non corrosive 7.5 french for my MAS 36....at only $13.20 a box

Last edited by BerdanSS; November 29, 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old November 29, 2011, 05:03 PM   #28
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Cheapshooter, you sound kinda like you might be an arfcommer. please tell me I'm wrong. Cuz ahem....you know how those "members" of the shooting community are)
Member, yes. But don't join in often! (Had to look it up to see if I was being insulted or not!)
Just a collector, and shooter of milsurps, among other things. Missing my original 1947 No. 5 that I foolishly traded for a Hakim! Most of my comments were to inform the OP that if he wanted a real Jungle Carbine the were available if you look around. Don't know what he paid for the Gibbs, but originals in any kind of serviceable shape go for about $400-$500 around here.
The Gibbs rifle he bought is probably a better shooter than an original, just not the real thing. I have a non-original I bought years ago. A Universal M1 Carbine. Fun little gun, great shooter, but I don't even try to compare it with the real thing.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 5, 2011, 11:02 PM   #29
got ammo?

Hey Jet, bieng from the Western part of the peoples republic of Massachusetts myself, My only suggustion is to look around the ammo tent at the Big E gunshow, Which I believe is coming up in March.
Old December 6, 2011, 02:28 AM   #30
JetTroop

You know....

I had almost forgotten about that....the only issue I have with that show is that you end up being down almost 20$ just to get into the show! Its 7$ to park and then 12$ a person to get in. But, there are some bargains to be had, so, I suppose its worth it.