The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 25, 2015, 10:20 AM   #1
TheTurtle101

Thoughts on Hunting Slugs

Looking for some experienced opinions on slugs. I plan on hunting this year mostly with my long barrel mossy 500 with adjustable choke "Smoothbore". I grew up with foster slugs and enjoyed them, but accuracy was lacking. I know slugs have come a LONG way lately and am looking for a couple different types for different applications. I'll probably stick with a foster or brennekke type slug for white tail, but what about pigs? Are the Federal Tru Ball Deep penetrators worth looking at? I will be using a Red Dot sight to assist with shot placement, as well. All shots should be under 50 yards. Thanks!
Old April 25, 2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Nathan

IMO, they will all do the job....as cheap as possible is usually a deciding factor for me.
Old April 25, 2015, 11:30 AM   #3
idek

Most should be adequate for under 50 yards. Improved Cylinder typically does best with a smoothbore barrel, but you might experiment with Modified as well, because some slugs will actually do better with a little more constriction.

Although maybe not quite as cheap or easy to find as basic foster slugs, you might look into Brenneke K.O. ammo, which is still relatively inexpensive but it's more accurate for me and are reported to penetrate better on tougher targets.
Old April 25, 2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Blindstitch

Seems like two schools. 5 for $5 or 5 for $20. I haven't had problems with the cheapies and deer penetration but it's a bit more devastation so I prefer rifles.

Shot one deer at 7 feet and got more than enough blood on me.
Old April 25, 2015, 07:29 PM   #5
Snyper

All slugs will give you the terminal perfomance you need for any animals.
Choose the most accurate for your gun
Old April 25, 2015, 08:19 PM   #6
SARuger

I use a 870 20g with a cantilevered slug barrel and Nikon Omega 3x9-32 scope. It will clover leaf at 100yrds with Federal Fusion sabot slugs. I don't shoot deer that far away with it. Mostly because of where I hunt and I want quick clean kills.

I think with a 12g your more than good out to 75yrds and should have decent accuracy with the rifled slugs.

You can get a rifled barrel for your Mossy if you want to go that route.

I assume you are going to use a saddle mount for your red dot and that may hinder some accuracy. If you do buy a rifled barrel get one with the cantilever scope mount and the scope will always stay zeroed to that barrel even when you switch your gun over for other duties.

Old April 26, 2015, 02:10 AM   #7
Snyper

Quote:
It will clover leaf at 100yrds with Federal Fusion sabot slugs. I don't shoot deer that far away with it. Mostly because of where I hunt and I want quick clean kills.
Why would you think you couldn't get a "clean kill" at 100 yds if it's that accurate?

I'd expect clean kills out to at least 150 yds
Old April 26, 2015, 09:09 AM   #8
SARuger

I guess I could Snyper but where I hunt I cant even see that far. I have rifles for hunting deer in open fields. I guess it just isn't this guns intended purpose.
Old April 27, 2015, 12:30 PM   #9
TimSr

Most of the advances in slugs are directed at rifles barrels. Your full size rfiled slugs are still the best performer from a smooth bore.

They do vary greatly as far as matching the right one to your shotgun, and I suggest trying a handful of different ones for accuracy in your gun. My Winchester w/ defender barrel likes Federals. My son's 20 guage 870 w/ improved screw in choke like Brenneke. You need to find your gun's favorite.
Old May 17, 2015, 02:40 PM   #10
Skeets
Member in memoriam

The Federal "Tru-Ball" load was developed for smoothbore shotguns.It has built a good reputation since it's introduction.Be sure to get some aspirin as you'll need them.Nobody enjoys a"slug test"!