The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 31, 2012, 07:50 PM   #26
BigD_in_FL

Avoid everywhere outside your home.
Barricade yourself in the reinforced basement bunker, have Domino's deliver your meals and live your life in total fear.......
OR, live your life, use some common sense, and unless you live in DC, Chicago, or Detroit, you should be fine......
Old January 3, 2013, 12:00 AM   #27
SgtLumpy

Evaluate the area you're going into (obviously) for potential "bad guy" types. But also evaluate for potential "target" types. If someone is just so distracted or distract-ing that they're asking to get their purse (or someone else's purse) snatched or whatever, it's a red flag for me. That being considered, Wally World parking lots late Sunday mornings are a strong avoid spot for me. "Do gooders" handing out money to beggars are often VERY lax in their purse/wallet discipline.

ANY TIME a car pulls up and asks "What time is it?" you're going to get robbed. Look them squarely in the eye and say "I don't know", then seek safety/cover etc.

Convenience stores where I can't see the clerks.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 4, 2013, 02:58 PM   #28
ClydeFrog

True story; "trick rolled"....

About 2 years ago, my good friend visited my city & rented a nice, new model Volvo sedan. We were in a Walmart parking lot in a business district(not a bad area or ghetto). A attractive young woman around 20-25 years old came up & asked us for a ride to a local mall(approx 2/3 miles away). She had some sad sack story about a broken car or needing to find her friends at the mall nearby.
We quickly told the woman; sorry, no can do, & shook out.
We debated if we took the right course of action or if the woman was honest.
About a year after that event, I saw a TV news item of a young guy in a new car who was car-jacked & murdered by a thug. The guy picked up a young girl who he didn't know. She asked the guy to take her "boyfriend" too. The pair then killed the hapless vehicle owner & stole his new car.
Cops & security guards call this being; "trick-rolled". People let their guard down, then BAM!
It happens often.

Clyde