The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2018, 07:55 AM   #51
Reggie Perrin

I do all my loading on a single stage, and concerning the plinking/blasting grade stuff I bought cheap and stacked deep a while back, so its not worth my time to reload 193/855 type ammo. I loaded up about 800 cheap 55gr soft points I had a while back just to get them off the shelf (and onto another shelf as loaded ammo) and it seemed to take forever.

For the cost of the blasting factory ammo and the time required on a single stage press, I have better, more accurate bullets I can load.

If I had a progressive, I might load the cheaper stuff, but I don't shoot enough of it to justify the cost of the press and my present stockpile will likely last several more years.
Old July 1, 2018, 01:29 AM   #52
armoredman

I couldn't afford to "buy it cheap and stack it deep", wish I could have, so even .223 blasting ammo gets done on the single stage. What the heck, it kills time.
Old July 3, 2018, 10:59 PM   #53
m&p45acp10+1

I roll my own for .223 and those are loaded on a single stage. The loading is not the part that consumes the great amount of time. Trimming does for me. My brass is all range pick up. I put Hornady cases to the side for my bolt action Savage. Those are full length sized once. Then are neck sized after that. My I feed the AR15 mixed head stamp.

The cost is less even with cheap 55 grain bullets purchased in 500 counts. The premium stuff I can load myself at a fraction of the cost. Also it fills my time doing something rather than sitting at the desk on the net, or in front of the TV.
Old July 5, 2018, 03:26 AM   #54
Metal god

So today/yesterday the 4th of July I was sitting around pretty much doing nothing and I thought "it's a nice day I should do something" . Now it's the 4th of July what can I do , hmm let me think Hey I know , since I live in CA what could be more American then loading up a couple hundred 223/5.56 rounds for my AR-15 It sounded like such a cliché I had to do it

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 5, 2018, 05:26 AM   #55
armoredman

Amen, sir.
Old July 5, 2018, 10:20 PM   #56
Chainsaw.

Metalgod good on ya Sir! Nothing says patriotism like loading cases for Americas modern musket!
Old July 7, 2018, 08:42 AM   #57
JeepHammer

I hope someone loads 5.56/.223, I just got the first shipment of 55 grain .224" diameter bullets in!
The mail man hates me, 42 pounds per 5,000 from Bob's bulk bullets.
I took a 2 wheeler, I knew what was coming...

If you go to Bob's, keep in mind shipping is included in the price.

They came 5,000 in a box, the piece count scale says I got between 250 & 500 extra in each box!
Nothing like free bullets!
Old July 7, 2018, 10:29 AM   #58
Master Blaster

I reload it for accuracy and I can load match grade components and tailor them to my rifles. So it is worth it since match grade ammo is very expensive and hard to find, and factory ammo cannot be adjusted for my rifles. I also get some satisfaction from shooting my own hand loads.
Old July 8, 2018, 12:44 PM   #59
Charlie98

Quote:
Hey I know , since I live in CA what could be more American then loading up a couple hundred 223/5.56 rounds for my AR-15
Personally, if I lived in CA, what could be more American than loading up a U-Haul and moving to Free America, where normal people can buy all the guns and ammos they want... even if it has a bayonet lug! But I feel your pain, and you can only do what you can do... loading some 5.56mm is the Next Best Thing!

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old July 8, 2018, 08:37 PM   #60
Metal god

Quote:
Personally, if I lived in CA, what could be more American than loading up a U-Haul and moving to Free America,
LMAO , I often say if I could I'd be gone in a heart beat .

I'm at a place where giving up all my clients and contacts for work would pretty much sink me . Maybe in 10 years or so that might be an option .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 8, 2018, 10:32 PM   #61
turtlehead

I load match quality for a bolt rifle and one of my ARs. Load blasting ammo for the rest of the ARs.
Old July 9, 2018, 01:00 PM   #62
458winshooter

223 reloading

I am soon to start just put an AR in lay-a-way and won a set of loading dies on GunBroker for .223 over the weekend.Time will tell if I have chosen wisely.