The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 1, 2009, 04:41 AM   #1
jgcoastie

SuperNova, finally got one...

I've been looking at adding another shotgun to my "inventory" as my wife tends to call it... According to her, I buy/sell guns more than the local sport shop.

I got rid of my Taurus PT1911 (I made $200 off that deal) and began the fondling search for a new HD/tacti-cool shotgun. I've already got my field shotgun and am very pleased with it. (Mossberg 930 12ga) I cut my teeth on Remington 11-87's and 870's, but I've been expanding my horizions more and more lately. I settled on a new Benelli SuperNova 12ga Tactical (2.75"-3.5"). I like the overall fit and finish of the gun, it handles very nicely for me, points like it's a part of me. I'll be headed to the skeet range tomorrow to see how it actually shoots for me...

However, there is a bit of "play" in the forend when the bolt is locked in. The bolt itself is fully in battery and doesn't move, but I'm able to wiggle the forend back and forth about 1/8". Is that normal? Both of the SuperNova's I handled at the store did this. Kid behind the counter didn't know...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:11 AM   #2
zippy13

Congratulations!
I'm not familiar with the SuperNova, but isn't some slop typical in pump action guns (and other reciprocating things)?
Old August 1, 2009, 07:39 AM   #3
COYOTE JLR

Yeah. That seems pretty normal to me. Mine definitely has a bit of movement to it. Its nothing bad and I wouldn't worry myself over it. I think it's a pretty standard affair to have some movement with any pump shotgun slide while its locked up. I think the Super Nova just has a bit more than most. Congratulations on the new gun by the way. I think you will be pleased with it. I know as a duck gun mine is pretty much perfect. Maybe a tad on the heavy side to take Chukar hunting, but that's fine by me. Just another excuse for another gun.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:23 PM   #4
stonesfan08

i got a nova 12ga it shoots 3 1/2's it one of my favorites
Old August 1, 2009, 07:56 PM   #5
seanie

My SuperNova has a little bit of play while the fore end is racked forward also. From what I hear it's all but a standard feature on it. Have fun with it. I couldn't even guess how many shells have gone through mine and I've never had so much as a hiccup with it. The ComforTech stock also makes slugs and magnum loads pretty tolerable.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:09 PM   #6
takem23

I've had a nova for 5 years or so. Its a tough gun. Its been in pouring rain and salt water more times than I can count. Never had a single problem. Mine has a little play in it.
Old August 2, 2009, 12:15 AM   #7
.351winchester

I noticed the ones I've fondled seem to have a little more than normal in pumps, but also noticed the action runs as if on Astroglide soaked ball bearings.

Did you get RS or Ghost rings? Tritium? Comfortech or Steadygrip? Black? I saw a pic the other day of the M4/1014 collapsing stock on a SNT, do you know if it is now available as a factory option or new made replacement? No way in hell should anyone have to pay more than double what the gun cost for a stock. I was told the actual M4 would not fit, despite interchanging the other 2 or 3 stocks available.

Congrats though, she's a "battle shucker" for real.
Old August 3, 2009, 09:17 PM   #8
inSight-NEO

Nice gun, eh? I have had a SN Tactical (GR sights, SteadyGrip stock + spare Comfortech stock) for a while now and I really like it. Very tough and very smooth.

In terms of the forend rattle...its normal and seems to be much improved vs. the Nova. Heck, my Mossberg 590 rattles just as much (still, its a great gun I believe). But, none of this bothers me as I have yet to encounter a pump shotgun that does not rattle. May I suggest tightening the forend screws just a bit and see if that helps. Of course, if you tighten them too much the action will become a bit stiff.

Regardless, nice gun. Also, once its been "dialed in," it is very accurate at insane distances (for a smoothbore), IMHO.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.
Old August 3, 2009, 10:47 PM   #9
chris in va

My regular Nova rattled like an old tractor, so it's probably normal.