The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 19, 2018, 10:58 AM   #1
Sneakerh3ad

Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoore or Aero Precision 6.5 Creedmoore

as far as a straight out the box gun, i've heard the Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoore cannot be matched for the price vs accuracy at around 1000 meters. Is there anyone who owns both and can let me know which is a better precision rifle?
Old February 19, 2018, 07:38 PM   #2
std7mag

Savage Axis in 7mm-08.

I'll leave the manbun cartridge for my 8 yr old niece.
Old February 19, 2018, 07:56 PM   #3
globemaster3

Uh, think 7mag mis-posted.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old February 19, 2018, 08:02 PM   #4
OzeanJaeger

If I was going to do a “budget”percision rifle Bergera beats the heck out of either of those.
Old February 19, 2018, 08:25 PM   #5
Dranrab

Creed what?
Old February 19, 2018, 08:39 PM   #6
CalmerThanYou

Going to be tough to find anyone who has both. I have a lot of rounds through my RPR and am 100% pleased. Some find the stock a bit wonky, but you can put a Magpul on easy enough. It will surpass most shooters abilities all day long. It is a heavy beast, but the recoil is very tame. It is not as refined as a Tikka or CZ or many other custom chassis build options, but is in my opinion the best long range to ELR rifle out of the box going.
Old February 19, 2018, 09:30 PM   #7
std7mag

No, i don't think i did.
Old February 20, 2018, 07:00 AM   #8
jmr40

Either rifle will shoot better than most of the people pulling the trigger. I'd save the money and buy the Ruger, but there is no wrong answer. My personal choice would be to skip the chassis stock and put the money into an even better rifle. For $900 a Tikka CTR will most likely shoot better than either. Certainly better than a Bergara or Savage.

The 6.5 Creedmoor does everything the 7-08 does, and does it a little better. The 7-08 can come close with some handloads. But for a non-hand loader the 6.5 offers much better options in factory loaded ammo and at much better prices.

At 1000 or less the 308 is still an option. For pure target work I think the 6.5 is better, especially past 1000. But if I ran across a deal on a 308 would consider it.

Winston Churchill
Old February 20, 2018, 10:07 AM   #9
Tallest

Between the two, I would give my business to Ruger. In fact, if I were in the market for a tactical chassis bolt gun, I would get the Ruger over the rest of what I know of on the market.

I'd love to get it in 260Rem, because I too fall in the anti-creedmoor camp. Not that it isn't a great round, it just seems that there's an emerging mindset around it that I don't think I agree with. But if it's a caliber you like, you wont be disappointed in the Ruger.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 20, 2018, 11:44 AM   #10
Zeroed

I can't say either way on the Aero 6.5cm, But I can with the RPR 6.5cm which I have. It will shoot dead on and most likely drive a nail, if you can do your part and have a descent to better scope. At 200yds, a half dollar coin will cover the holes. At 100yds., a quarter will cover the holes using factory 140g match. I'm confident I will close the grouping once I start reloading my own.

If you're planning on hunting with it, bipod it and don't walk too far. It is Heavy. I personally don't mind the weight, even after walking several miles stalk hunting. But to each their own.
Old February 20, 2018, 05:34 PM   #11
std7mag

JMR40,
Lets face it. The only reason the 6.5 Creed is cheaper is because it's the soup de jour.

Wonder what the next "super gotta have it", cartridge is gonna be?

My money is on the 35 Remington, cause it's short enough to fit in a mag that the 35 Whelen doesn't.
Old February 21, 2018, 12:39 PM   #12
globemaster3

Sorry std7mag, normally you provide some valuable insight. I misread "manbun" for "magnum" without my glasses on. Since the OP was posting about 2 specific rifles in that cartridge, it never occurred to me that you would recommend another caliber, in a rifle not mentioned by the OP when he's looking for recommendations 1 over the other.

My bad...

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old February 21, 2018, 02:31 PM   #13
bedlamite

Get both.
Old February 21, 2018, 04:21 PM   #14
std7mag

I do appologize to Sneakerh3ad and the rest of the posters of this thread.

Seems like when anyone asks for a caliber recommendation, even though not an option the Creed gets thrown out there.
Kinda like the 338 LM 5 years ago.

I really have nothing against the 6.5mm. I have 2 planned, waiting for donor actions.
First is the 6.5X57 Mauser. Second is a 6.5mm Rem Mag.

Again i appologize for the smart alek remarks and not contributing usefully to the thread.
Old February 22, 2018, 11:11 AM   #15
Tallest

std7mag - Good words! Though not directly to me, I appreciate it! And that is largely because, while I wasn't around for the 338 LM fad, I know exactly what you mean about this one. I hope I have the spine to apologize as well if and when I need to.

Bar raised!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 22, 2018, 11:35 AM   #16
CalmerThanYou

The OP has has so many quality options in 6.5 CM in both bolt action and auto feeder. Seems every manufacturer is on the bandwagon.
Cartridge cynics may now need to move on to the .458 HAM'R and 224 Valkyrie
Old February 22, 2018, 01:24 PM   #17
Tallest

Quote:
The OP has has so many quality options in 6.5 CM in both bolt action and auto feeder. Seems every manufacturer is on the bandwagon.
Cartridge cynics may now need to move on to the .458 HAM'R and 224 Valkyrie
I think the 224 Valkyrie will struggle, comparatively to the CMs at least. It's limited in hunting by it's size and the states that prohibit sub .22 Cal hunting.

It will be great as a distance target/varmint/predator round... as are the Creedmoors, but medium to large game hunters will shy away.

And while the 458 Ham'r is as capable as anything out there, I think it's the wrong season. Folks are on a long range kick. And maybe that will change shortly with the advent of this newest bestest awkwardest-to-type-name power round. But people are in the mindset of doing more with less right now... more damage with smaller caliber, more distance with less recoil, more accuracy with less money... more with less! The ham'r is definitely counter cultural to the trend.

However... with all that said... marketing can really get into folks heads! Time will tell.