The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 23, 2018, 08:50 PM   #26
jaysouth

Avoid EAB 97s like the plague. You can get them cheap, but all you have is a falling block with weak extractor and glued on barrels.
Old January 30, 2018, 12:38 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

If you want a quality falling block rifle, and $1,000 is your break point, then you need to be looking at USED Rugers.

And, even then its going to be close, and the longer you wait, the more they'll cost.

I have a No.1 in .375 H&H that I'll let you have for $1k, (plus you pay shipping and transfer fees), but despite a need for cash, that's the only one I'd let go, right now.

Look for No.3's. Last time I saw any the price was in the $800 range. Not as fancy as the No.1s but great guns. I have them in .22 Hornet, .30-40 Krag, and .45-70. Light, short, accurate (at least mine are) and not quite as expensive as the No.1.