The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 15, 2014, 08:53 PM   #1
std7mag

Game camera dead....

I bought a Wildgame Innovations IR4 game camera in July.

Had it set up in what I thought was gonna be a great spot.
Went to get camera tonight after work.
Lots of sign, and 5 rubs within 30ft. of game camera.
Red light signaling that it senses something didn't come on.
Thought batteries were dead.
Got it home, put fresh batteries in.
Nothing.... (when I say nothing, I mean that the display is dead, and it is not getting power.)
Hooked it up to computer(it will draw power from the computer), again, nothing....
Pulled memory card, no data.....

Have sent them (Wildgame) a message, awaiting to see how it is handled.
Will post updates...
Old September 20, 2014, 06:46 AM   #2
fiream29

Mmm... that is not good. Have you heard anything yet? Hope they come through for you.
I've waffled back and forth on whether to invest in a game camera but the way things 'disappear' around here I hate the thought of investing a bunch in one.
Old September 20, 2014, 06:47 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

I've been using a good number of game cameras now for several years. I've owned every Chines brand out there (that's every brand except Reconyx and Buckeye, the only two made in this country). They all fail in less than two years and about 50-60% fail in the first year. That's the normal amount of failure that I've experienced so far. They're all Chinese junk. There are no plated connectors in any of these cameras. That would cost at least an extra two dollars to plate the connectors. So they all fail for that reason. I have nine cameras out right now. I just got back from checking them this afternoon. One of the cameras I had out failed today.....a Primos. It lasted over one season. I used it last year and about a month this year. The only Chinese camera (remember, they're all Chinese regardless of brand) I could recommend is the newer Cuddebacks. The only reason I can recommend them is that they give a two year warranty full replacement and three more years for 50% of cost. They also have a very fast trigger speed so you don't get a lot of empty shots. Don't hold your breath on Wildgame Innovations, they're probably the worst I've owned so far and they have the worst attitude in doing anything for you. They'll tell you to send it back and they'll replace it with a refurbished one. That's what Primose did to me on the one that failed today. The refurbished one was probably one they couldn't find anything wrong with and just put it in a box and shipped it to me. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old September 20, 2014, 09:26 PM   #4
fiream29

Good info, thanks! Kind of disheartening though. Are they not as 'weatherproof' as made out to be? I'm down here near the coast and corrosion is a major problem. It's always humid as well. If any moisture does get into a sealed container it turns into a greenhouse.
Old September 21, 2014, 05:11 AM   #5
Old Stony

Good luck ! It's been my experience with them (and I have used a lot of their cameras) that they will use any and all excuses to squirm out of replacing one. They don't do repair and their only options are to do the squirm or replace it.
Initially when i started using their cameras and got a couple of bad ones, they were very nice about it and I was only out the postage to send them in for evaluation. Not any more !
Old September 21, 2014, 06:46 AM   #6
std7mag

Well, here it is the 21st. and all I've heard from Wildgame is that they would get in touch with me.

Not good service!!!

Dicks Sporting goods however has told me that as long as it's within 90 days, bring it in and they will replace/refund.

So a big thumbs up to Dicks!!!
Old September 21, 2014, 08:24 AM   #7
NoSecondBest

If and when I buy new cameras each year I get them at Dick's Sporting Goods. I usually get them in Aug. and we put our food plots in the same month. If they don't last until the end of Nov. they go back for a refund. To date, about half have gone back. I don't replace them until the following year.Being sealed isn't the only problem, it's the humidity too. If you notice in the literature that comes with the cameras, they all tell you to report any problems to them and not the place where you bought them. This is so places like Dick's don't stop buying their products due to the excessive amount of returns. I believe that if Dick's gets enough of them back they'll force the seller to make improvements to the product or start buying them somewhere else. Take them back to Dick's and let the system drive the quality improvements. Also, if you want a replacement, Dicks gives you a new camera. Not one someone else sent back due to not working. Lots of these cameras will get tested (rather quickly at the seller) and will work temporairly and then quit again. I refuse to accept refurbished products in replacement of new product that failed.
Old September 28, 2014, 08:12 AM   #8
std7mag

Dick's was great!!!

Took camera in, and they refunded my money. Was happy enough that I bought 2 more cameras. lol

Wildegame Innovations: I got an email from they saying I would hear from a rep within 2 days... Haven't heard anything yet. I called, and they told me they have it that I would be contacted. Thank you, bye....
Old September 28, 2014, 08:20 AM   #9
fiream29

It sounds like these game cameras are one of the few devices where you might come out ahead in buying an extended warranty. Maybe Squaretrade will cover them. Glad you got some resolution.