The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 28, 2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Isabel1130

Custom grips

Hi, I am in need of some custom left handed grips for both a hand built .45 and a Ruger Mark III. .22. I don't have huge hands, maybe 85 millimeters across my knuckles but I have always been able to hold and shoot a standard 1911 quite comfortably. Any suggestions as to what you like and why would be appreciated. Kate
Old January 7, 2008, 09:37 PM   #2
MrBorland

Well, I don't have custom grips yet, but I'm shopping as well, and looking closely at those from Herrett and Randall Fung. Maybe others can chime in with an opinion on them. Feedback from the web generally seems very positive, though.

http://www.herrett-stocks.com
http://funggrip.jnb.com/
Old January 9, 2008, 02:35 PM   #3
Sebring Pop

I have a set of the Herrett custom grips the they fit to your hand. I like the most of the time but wish I could adjust the just a little in the summer when my hands swell a little from the heat. Don't get me wrong they do a great job. If I get another set they will be the Funggrip because they have the adjustment.
oh yes I shoot Bullseye, Falling Plates and Bowling Pins

IN GOD WE TRUST............ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Sebring Pop; January 9, 2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old January 10, 2008, 10:48 PM   #4
omega8omega

Try KNills grips. They are costly, but very nice done. I have them on my BE Les Baer and Benellis

Stay safe
Omega
Omega Custom grips
Old January 11, 2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Isabel1130

Grip decision

The K Nills grips look awesome but I think as a woman with smaller hands than many men I am inclined to go with Fung since I know they will custom measure. Now the only question is what .22 do I get to put them on? Does anyone reading this know the difference between a Hammerli 208 and a Hammerli 208s?
Old January 12, 2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Isabel1130

Conclusion

Hi all and thnaks for your excellent suggestions. I ended up ordering the Karl Nills grips for a Haemmerli 208s as Randall Fung does not make grips for that gun. I am sure I will be very happy with them. I don't know what I will go with on my model 1911 as I won't have it until around Thanksgiving this year. I have a while to think about it. Might be best to just stay with the Nills on that one as long as like I them. For those that are interested I found out the difference between a 208 and a 208s. The 208s has a two stage fully adjustable trigger while the 208 has a one stage on adjustable trigger. Isabel.
Old January 13, 2008, 08:35 PM   #7
mk70ss

I use these Herrets on my Ruger

Old January 13, 2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Isabel1130

Your Ruger

Your Ruger looks great with the Herrets on it. I changed my mind about going with the accurized Ruger when I found I was also going to have to spend quite a bit to get a scope mount put on it(in addition to the left handed custom grips). I thought for the money, the Haemerlli I found might possibly hold its value better. It also, based on the test target, seemed to be a slightly better gun at the 50 yard line and I have been told that the trigger is awesome. Isabel
Old January 14, 2008, 02:13 AM   #9
Casimer

also check-out Rink ( http://www.formgriffe.de/english/index.htm ) and Morini grips (http://www.morini.ch/). Rink makes both international and BE grips - i.e the kind w/ an enclosing palm shelf.

Larry Carter carries Hammerli pistols, parts and accessories - http://www.larrysguns.com/Default.aspx

Have you already purchased a 208?
Old January 14, 2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Isabel1130

Hammerli 208s

Casimer, I have indeed already purchased the 208s. I had some guns on consignment at my local gun shop. My father was a competitive rifleman back in the 50's and also was a gunsmith of some regional reputation in Wyoming. He specialized in accurized hunting rifles. Some of the left over’s from his business sold more quickly than I thought they would and I had a pretty good balance so I made a deal for the 208s (after doing about 8 weeks of research) Since I haven't done any competitive shooting or training since the late 80's it has taken me a while to figure out what is out there and what will work best for me. There are so many more options available. Aim Points were just becoming available in the 80's and I have shot a pistol with a red dot on it only once. I remember thinking how sweet and easy it was.
I am a little concerned that K Nills seems to do batch shipping to the US every four weeks and I hope that I didn't just miss the last cycle or something. If so I might have to rethink as I can't shoot the Hammerli until I get a set of (smallish) left handed grips for it and I would like to be set up and ready to go for a match down in Denver the end of February. I am not a tiny women fortunately but I don't kid myself that my hands are as large as most men. I would also like to be at Camp Perry in 2009 ready for the entire Pistol week. I might go this year just for the .22 but I am 90 percent committed to taking my son for the small bore week and working while he shoots. Since I am too young to retire I think I will be either taking unpaid leave or blowing my entire "use or lose" balance in Ohio every summer. I figure I can train with the Hammerli until I get my custom .45 and my EIC/center fire gun next November.
Old January 14, 2008, 05:03 PM   #11
Casimer

It's the same w/ Rink. The US distributors usually submit their orders in batches. If you order directly, I expect that you could receive a set sooner.

If you're in a rush, try posting an inquiry on targettalk.org, and you might also check w/ pilkguns.com and Cibles ( http://www.targets.ca ). They both stock grips. Unfortunately LH grips usually need to be ordered. Your other option would be to look for an ambidextrous 'sport' grip for the 208, though I'm not sure of who might carry these.
Old January 14, 2008, 05:25 PM   #12
Isabel1130

Casimer. I did order directly from Karl Nills but from what they said on their web site I think they still let the orders build up and send stuff over in batches to save on shipping. I can be patient. If I don't shoot a match until March, that is just the way things are, but I think I will get them in Feb at the latest. I knew that left handed grips were going to be a hassle. In the meantime I will just work with my weights and my air pistol.