The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 15, 2007, 03:34 AM   #1
3gunfreak

IDPA practice

I have been shooting IDPA for a few years and have been "toying"(literally) with the idea of buying an airsoft gun to plink around with. I'm guessing it would probably be easier to find places to setup "movers" and "turners" and work on sight aqusition. I have heard some of the airsoft are almost identical to the real things in weight and feel.

Any thoughts?
Old December 17, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2
1SOW

My son is getting ready to start shooting USPSA. He's been playing in the backyard (:-) with a CO2 BB semiauto that looks and grips like a cross between a Sig and an XD. Actually, he can run and gun, pop tin cans, and pop-pop paper. Gun safety, handling, pointing, siting etc can be practiced.

I think you could get a little more realistic range from CO2....maybe more fun too.

Last edited by 1SOW; December 18, 2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old December 20, 2007, 05:45 AM   #3
evan1293

If you go the airsoft route go with a green gas blowback model. These are very good replicas both in terms of apperance and function to the real thing. I have a kwa glock 17 and couldn't be happier with it. The accuracy is good enough within distances that handguns are typically used in. The GGBlowback guns are what most people are using for force on force training these days.
Old December 20, 2007, 12:37 PM   #4
RickB

I have a gas blowback pistol, licensed by Caspian. It has ambi safety, and passable sights. I have shot it a bit, but have not tried to use it as a training device. Given decent accuracy and reliability, it would certainly suffice. I'd be inclined to create some sort of reduced-scale "range", so I could practice in my garage. Maybe 1/3 scale, set up on a sheet of plywood? I've seen pics of the set-up used by a Japanese guy, who trains year-around in his apartment with airsoft guns, then comes to the U.S. to practice for a month or so, for the Steel Challenge. He won it, a couple of years ago, so airsoft does have it's place in practice/training.
Old December 21, 2007, 03:48 AM   #5
3gunfreak

I saw him shoot. He's really good to be a young as he is. Sucks that he got sent home for accidental diischarge. Didn't quite get the gun on target before he squeezed off a round. Thanks for the input, it's time to go shopping!!
Old December 21, 2007, 06:08 AM   #6
jmorris

I have one from the 2006 TX idpa regional prize table, I think it's made by a company called G2. It's very close to a Glock 17 (lighter with a better trigger), holds 10 and even goes to slide lock when empty. I gave it to my brother in law to practice for idpa (he is not old enough to own a firearm). It seems to help him out, but I prefer to just dry fire with the one I'm going to use.
Old January 14, 2008, 03:53 PM   #7
45Dave

Get one

They work, they help. I picked up a C02 version....magazine drops and hold 13 rounds. The slide does not move but you get a very satisfying pop when you pull the trigger and it is darn accurate inside a room. I picked one up to practice shooting on the move and first shot from draw. So far it has been a huge help that I can set up the targets( soft gel that the pellets stick to) and let pellets fly in a nice warm room. Oh...also for dim light conditions an interesting practice. Last note...they really get stray cats moving when your house is getting sprayed.
Old January 14, 2008, 05:53 PM   #8
RickB

Let's hear about the "soft gel" targets? I would certainly have more interest in shooting my airsoft gun, if it didn't include chasing-down the pellets when I was done.
Old January 17, 2008, 09:09 AM   #9
jmorris

Rick put your target on a cardboard box then suspend a towel from where the top closes so the plastic bb’s go through one side of the box then hit the towel falling to the bottom of the box.
Old January 22, 2008, 02:24 AM   #10
45Dave

Gel Targets

RickB, they are the targets sold right beside the guns, I found mine at Dunhams sporting goods. Round target with a sticky gell like surface. Soft and sticky you can wash it off and keep on hitting it. There are two sizes one about a foot across and the other is about 8 inches.
Old January 22, 2008, 03:36 PM   #11
RickB

Hmmmmm. Thanks for the tip(s).
Old January 22, 2008, 06:41 PM   #12
PaulBk

The faster fps airsofts will chew up a soft gel target over time, but they are inexpensive, so no real harm.

Beach towels and cardboard make great retention targets.

With a decent replica airsoft, my attached garage easily converts to a 'shooting house' whenever the wife goes shopping.

-Paul