The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Venom1956

Thinking about trading in DW PM9 towards a 9mm commander Valor? Thoughts?

Thinking about selling my pm9 to get a duty coat commander valor 9mm to go with my full-sized valor in 45. 9mm in a commander feels more like a 45 in 5 to me I am just curious on your guys thoughts.

I know the pm9 was really tough to get ahold of when I first got it but now 9mm is offered in many more Dan Wessons. Torn on selling it or keeping it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 13, 2018, 01:23 PM   #2
TunnelRat

My experience lately has been that I'd rather keep and save up. Simply because I've rebought enough pistols to have learned my lesson. That said you're not really getting rid of a pistol so much as morphing it into a slightly different version. Ask yourself how much you'd use the PM9 after you bought the Commander Valor.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 13, 2018, 03:16 PM   #3
JWT

I couldn't do it. I'd have to both of them. I could never let go of a DW of any kind. Like em too much.
Old February 13, 2018, 07:56 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

The Rat is RIGHT!!
VVVVVV
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 13, 2018, 10:23 PM   #5
KyJim

Unless you don't like the PM9 for some reason, I would keep it. It has the same quality parts as the Valor and is fit just as well. The Valor may be finished a bit nicer and does have the Duty Treatment (not Duty Coat).

I love 1911s and own several. That said, some of them can be a bit finicky, even Dan Wessons (I've had to return two for service). If you own one that you like and it is reliable, why trade it? Maybe you can scratch that "buy itch" by getting a new set of grips.

BTW, here's what happens if you follow the example of TunnelRat and myself -- some of my 1911s:

Last edited by KyJim; February 13, 2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old February 14, 2018, 12:54 PM   #6
Venom1956

Yes I am quite torn. I spent better part of two years trying to get my PM9 they make limited runs of it and for one year it had a huge DAN WESSON signature on the slide which I didn't like. It was alot of effort to finally get one at a 'reasonable' price.

It runs great accurate as heck.

I've got it wearing black VZ320 slims and it looks fantastic next to my Valor. It does has a slight idiot mark where someone I do not like attempted to take it down and reassemble it with out my knowledge. It's hardly terrible (could've went way worse but the polished flats make it pretty noticeable to me I've debated getting it repaired or replacing it with a new PM9. I'll post some pictures of mine in a few.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 14, 2018, 07:05 PM   #7
JDBerg

OP, do you have a trade deal on the table for your PM-9 vs. that Duty Coat Commander Valor in 9mm? I’ll bet you would have to put substantial cash or another gun in with your PM-9 to get that Cmdr. Valor 9mm out of the gunstore. And that would be the showstopper for me at least.

I’m seeing excellent deals to buy used but LN guns outright, but lousy trade deals. Personally I wouldn’t give up a PM-9 for anything including another DW. That PM-9 is one of the best gov’t length 9mm 1911 pistols out there and there is nothing better to take to the range & go shoot with!

Last edited by JDBerg; February 15, 2018 at 08:48 AM.