The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 18, 2017, 03:38 AM   #1
MINSH101

Are you excited...?

Ruger announced they are coming out with a 1911 style 10mm pistol. Do you have faith in Ruger's ability to create such a weapon?

I personally don't have much faith in Ruger when it comes to semi autos. Revolvers? Absolutely! Bolt action rifles? Yes.

I am interested in expanding to the 10mm caliber but want something that'll last.

Who do you trust when it comes to 10mm?
Old June 18, 2017, 07:28 AM   #2
Lohman446

They will be entering a niche that is already small and well covered. There are a number of companies already there (by memory): Rock Island, Dan Wesson, Colt, Kimber, Sig Sauer, the Springfield custom shop (I think), Wilson... where in that niche are they going to carve out space? Am I excited? Nope. When I bought my 1911 10mm and decided to pass on the RIA offering the Colt was not prohibitively more expensive. A Ruger tossed in there would have changed nothing in my mind.
Old June 18, 2017, 07:44 AM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Ruger announced they are coming out with a 1911 style 10mm pistol. Do you have faith in Ruger's ability to create such a weapon?

I personally don't have much faith in Ruger when it comes to semi autos. Revolvers? Absolutely! Bolt action rifles? Yes.
If you consider Ruger's historically some of the most successful designs, the ones that were most successful were copies, albeit significantly modified. For instance the single actions were basically Colt SSA with improvements. The M77 was basically a '98 Mauser with improvements. The Number one and Number three were basically a Farquharson with improvements. In the case of the .44 Carbine, almost totally their own design, it could be considered as having failed due to the tendency to fire when the bolt was not fully closed (note that the last version of the .44 Carbine was a fairly close copy of the U.S. .30 Carbine). Their S1911, being a very close copy of a Colt 1911A1, it is arguably a reliable and successful design...but a copy nonetheless. So, if Ruger stays faithful to the Colt 1911 design and does not go all "innovative", I would have faith that it would likely work...if in any case, the 1911 design is appropriate for the extra pressure, recoil, etc. of the 10MM. As I have always stated, Ruger was a good copier, modifier...from scratch designer, not so much (with a few exceptions).
Old June 18, 2017, 07:44 AM   #4
ritepath

1911 style 10mm.....not so much if it's big heavy and has that goofy grip safety. Something worthy of the woods like the g20 I would be interested in.
Old June 18, 2017, 08:09 AM   #5
BarryLee

I’ve only seen cursory reviews, so I guess it sort of depends. I own a GLOCK 10mm and I guess it pretty much fills that hole for me. If I were going to buy a 1911 10mm it would be the Colt unless the Ruger is in some way a significant improvement over the Colt.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 18, 2017, 08:16 AM   #6
pat701

Will it be made using Ruger's world famous "investment grade die cast" frame on a 10mm?
Old June 18, 2017, 08:23 AM   #7
muzzleblast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
Will it be made using Ruger's world famous "investment grade die cast" frame on a 10mm?
Just curious. I am not sure I understand the point of the question. Would you mind, expanding on it?
Old June 18, 2017, 10:15 AM   #8
Dirtbag

I'd rather see Ruger come out with a GP100 10mm.
Old June 18, 2017, 12:39 PM   #9
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Already have the best 10mm ever made the G20SF---so no interest in the Ruger

1911's are for the .45acp---then my interest turns to Colt

Now the GP100 suggestion---you're on to something there
-------Metallica
Old June 18, 2017, 02:09 PM   #10
MINSH101

I'd buy two GP 100 chambered in 10mm.
Old June 18, 2017, 02:14 PM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
Investment Casting is not the same as "die cast", just in case you did not know.
If on the other hand, your post was meant to convey a negative view of investment casting in general as to strength and durability, I will point out that his Model 77 actions are investment cast and they seem to hold up to the pressures involved with the bottleneck cartridges.
Old June 18, 2017, 02:35 PM   #12
Model12Win

As long as it's not another all stainless gun like what Colt makes. I like my 10mms dark.
Old June 18, 2017, 03:55 PM   #13
1911_Hardball

Have they announced the availabilty date yet?

Have they announced the recall date yet?

As an aside, Ruger is one of the premier investment casting companies in the world.
They do it as well or better than anyone else, and not just for firearms.
Revenue wise, firearms are a relatively small part of their business.
If Ruger says their cast recievers, slides, etc., are as strong and durable as someone else's forged, you can bet that it's an understatement. They're almost certainly stronger.

Last edited by 1911_Hardball; June 18, 2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old June 18, 2017, 04:01 PM   #14
O4L

Here's a link to a review for those interested...

realguns.com
Old June 18, 2017, 05:44 PM   #15
JWT

My Ruger SR1911s have all been flawless. I see absolutely no reason Ruger can't make good 10mm 1911.
Old June 18, 2017, 05:58 PM   #16
dgludwig

Quote:
Do you have faith in Ruger's ability to create such a weapon?
I have faith in just about anything Ruger puts its mind to. Over the years, Browning has offered a diverse menu of various firearm options (albeit, many from Japan and other places) but I think Ruger has been the most prolific gunmaker of all (the only type of guns they haven't made, curiously, are semi-auto and pump-action shotguns) and all American made. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to their introducing 1911 style pistols chambered in 10mm.
Old June 18, 2017, 06:02 PM   #17
dgludwig

Quote:
If you consider Ruger's historically some of the most successful designs, the ones that were most successful were copies, albeit significantly modified.
You could say that about most gun companies after the turn of the twentieth century.
Old June 19, 2017, 01:51 PM   #18
disseminator

I'll probably buy this.

Most 10mm 1911's are a lot more expensive or not available in the real world.

With an MSRP around $1000 if they can get to $800 or so real world these would compete directly with the RIA and provide an all steel alternative to the Glock from a top tier brand.

Sounds good over here.
Old June 19, 2017, 04:33 PM   #19
rock185

I wish Ruger well with their 10MM. Having owned several 10MMs, Bren Ten, S&Ws, Colt, Kimber, Glock, S&W and Ruger 10MM revolvers,etc., I like the looks of this one. Bull barrel to add recoiling mass and slow the usual 10MM 1911 Warp 9 slide speeds, integrally ramped for superior case head support. Adjustable sights for the very wide range of ammo available for the 10MM. IMHO, these features, and the price, are consistent with Ruger's reputation for solidly built, practical and reasonably priced firearms.

Based solely on the limited information I seen so far, I would consider the Ruger to be an improvement over the Colt Delta I used to own. My Delta had a standard bushing type, unramped, barrel with the poorest case head support I have ever seen on a factory 191i type barrel. With a high pressure pistol cartridge, that's only possible with a very robust case head design. Similar to the 9X23 Winchester designed to be used with unramped barrels. Only possible with a very robust case head design. With the Delta's fixed sights and narrow GI style beavertail grip safety added in, if the limited information I have so far is accurate, I'd much prefer the Ruger............ymmv
Old June 19, 2017, 04:37 PM   #20
lamarw

Have not followed 10mm much but have heard some decent comments about the Sig P220. I have two in .45 ACP, and if the 10mm is comparable it is a good pistol.
Old June 19, 2017, 07:28 PM   #21
dgludwig

Quote:
Based solely on the limited information I seen so far, I would consider the Ruger to be an improvement over the Colt Delta I used to own.
One advantage a Ruger 1911 style pistol has over most others of its ilk is that the plunger tube can't get loose-a common malady some have experienced with the typical 1911 design.
Old June 19, 2017, 09:25 PM   #22
JDBerg

Quote:
I'd rather see Ruger come out with a GP100 10mm.
Ruger will sell all of the GP100 revolvers they can make chambered in 10mm / .40S&W, one of the best shooting .40S&W handguns I ever tried was actually a S&W 610 revolver; the only thing I didn't like about this S&W 610 N-frame revolver that I shot was that the guy that owned it wouldn't sell it to me! I sure can't figure out why S&W ever stopped making the 610, or why they don't start making these again!

Last edited by JDBerg; June 20, 2017 at 04:51 AM.
Old June 20, 2017, 04:27 AM   #23
CajunBass

I have no doubt that Ruger can make one.

Doesn't mean I want one, but Ruger can make it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 20, 2017, 05:55 AM   #24
Dozermonkey

Somebody say 10mm GP100 ? Oh pretty please !!! I'll take one !
Old June 20, 2017, 07:35 AM   #25
fourbore

I would like to see Ruger offer the match grade 1911 in 9mm. I know I probably end up with a new barrel and bushing, but the match ruger seems like a good start point for the money. That is probably Rugers real strong suit is value, not the best, but; best for the buck.