The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 11, 2017, 09:24 PM   #26
Badgerstate

I'll be honest, Id consider an HK rifle if they werent so darned expensive. I just cant see dropping $2500 on one when an HK assault is about 10x more assault rifle than Im ever going to need. For me uses, my Sauer 100 does just fine, is just as German as an HK and costs an 1/8th that an HK does.
Old June 11, 2017, 11:10 PM   #27
ozarkhillbilly

Big fan of the P7's
Old June 12, 2017, 09:42 AM   #28
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt11002003:
...a p30s and a p30sk...All were great guns, except maybe the p30's their triggers were lousy
I hear this lousy HK trigger buisiness all the time and I started to believe it until I really started dry & live fire practicing with my HK P30 v3, and after 2-1/2 years and at least 5K rounds through it, I can't say that it is the best shooting gun I have but there really aren't many guns I have that shoot better for me and the way I like to range practice with my guns. For a gun that often rides on my hip, that long DA trigger takeup and "relatively" heavy DA trigger pull beats a much lighter trigger that (IMHO) would warrant an external safety to want to carry it. Like most people I shoot it SA most of the time anyway, and since staging the trigger is a part of good trigger control anyway, my DA targets aren't really too bad! These guns really do teach you how to shoot them properly!
Old June 12, 2017, 02:55 PM   #29
Tactical Jackalope

They are one of my favorite defensive pistols of all time.

I don't think they know how to make a bad gun.

I love the USP line and the new handguns are also amazing. Let's not even get started with their rifles.

Absolutely amazing! Great choice!
Old June 12, 2017, 03:49 PM   #30
The_Jerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
They are one of my favorite defensive pistols of all time.

I don't think they know how to make a bad gun.

I love the USP line and the new handguns are also amazing. Let's not even get started with their rifles.

Absolutely amazing! Great choice!
Now if only they would make a more compact gun. I love my FS HK45, currently waiting on the 45c to come out of ffl jail. Saw it for 705 BNIB shipped to my ffl and couldn't pass up the deal vs 1200 or so from my LGS

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old June 12, 2017, 08:03 PM   #31
agtman

Reputedly, HK P7s were said to be the popular sidearm of choice for Hollywood's Action-Movie terrorists back in the '80s.

Myself, personally, I don't see the allure.

Yeah, it's got an interesting look, ... but beyond that, the gun is needless weighty relative to caliber, sports low magazine capacity (8+1), and is blessed with a not-so-intuitive manual-of-arms based on an awkward decocking mechanism.

Worse, it's chambered for the mostly anemic 9mm.

Sure, for executing dissidents and hostages with point-blank head shots, a P7 will work well enough, but in a stand-up fight against a determined adversary armed with something modern like, say, a .45acp Glock 21, ... forgettaboutit.
Old June 12, 2017, 08:13 PM   #32
The_Jerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
Reputedly, HK P7s were said to be the popular sidearm of choice for Hollywood's Action-Movie terrorists back in the '80s.

Myself, personally, I don't see the allure.

Yeah, it's got an interesting look, ... but beyond that, the gun is needless weighty relative to caliber, sports low magazine capacity (8+1), and is blessed with a not-so-intuitive manual-of-arms based on an awkward decocking mechanism.

Worse, it's chambered for the mostly anemic 9mm.

Sure, for executing dissidents and hostages with point-blank head shots, a P7 will work well enough, but in a stand-up fight against a determined adversary armed with something modern like, say, a .45acp Glock 21, ... forgettaboutit.
Until the Glock jams or otherwise can't hit the broadside of a barn whereas the HK would outshoot said Glock any day of the week. Not to mention HKs are one of the most reliable if not the nost reliable firearm available. I wouldn't trust my life to many other pistols.

Old June 12, 2017, 08:23 PM   #33
agtman

Quote:
Until the Glock jams or otherwise can't hit the broadside of a barn whereas the HK would outshoot said Glock any day of the week. Not to mention HKs are one of the most reliable if not the nost reliable firearm available. I wouldn't trust my life to many other pistols.
Jerky, just so we're clear, ... someone previously mentioned the HK P7, and I was referring specifically to that model, not to modern HKs or even HKs generally.
Old June 12, 2017, 08:54 PM   #34
The_Jerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
Jerky, just so we're clear, ... someone previously mentioned the HK P7, and I was referring specifically to that model, not to modern HKs or even HKs generally.
I have yet to handle a P7 personally but I for one find them incredibly ugly. That and the current prices they are going for I would much rather have a Mark 23

Old June 12, 2017, 09:04 PM   #35
agtman

Quote:
I have yet to handle a P7 personally but I for one find them incredibly ugly. That and the current prices they are going for I would much rather have a Mark 23.
Yeah, I hear you. Mine is just an odd-ball specimen for my meager collection.

Last year a local HK collector offered me $2K for it, which I declined.
Old June 12, 2017, 09:54 PM   #36
rock185

I admire HK firearms, but wouldn't consider myself an official HK FanBoy. Over a good many years, I've owned a succession of HKs,i.e., P9S, standard and Target models in 9MM and .45, a P9, P7, P7M8 and a USP Expert. All quality pistols, but I'm currently down to only two HK pistols, a P7M8 purchased new back in the '80s, and a SAO HK P9, that I've also owned for quite a few years.

Seems many who don't own P7s enjoy continually pointing out perceived flaws, and elaborating on the many ways their favorite plastic pistol is better. Ok, I understand, we all have our favorites, and plastic pistols are certainly a lot less expensive and hold a lot more ammunition than the P7. Have to say though, that while the P7s are not my favorite pistol, if necessary I would be perfectly content to carry a P7 in the anemic 9MM caliber
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HK (18).JPG (117.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg HK (17).JPG (126.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by rock185; June 12, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old June 12, 2017, 10:24 PM   #37
hank327

Love my P7M8 that I got back in the 80's. One of, if not the most accurate handgun I own. Had a HK 91 that I sold and have always regretted doing so. Wish I had gotten an MP-5 back then. Their other handguns don't do anything for me though.
Old June 13, 2017, 02:15 AM   #38
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I'd like them more if I could afford one.
I flirted with the P30 for a long time. Of the Polymer DA/SA guns I've checked out, it feels the best in my hand and is at least a competitor for best looking. The problem is price. There are some other quality guns in the same category that do as much or more for so much less.

I might have been able to overlook the extra hundreds (plural) but the lousy trigger kills it. Sure, it isn't the worst trigger I've experienced. I just think it's worse than a lot of other guns, including some of those lower-cost competitors in the same category.

Between a $400-something Px4 and an $800-something P30, which would go home with you?
Old June 13, 2017, 06:45 AM   #39
Chris_B

Quote:
Now if only they would make a more compact gun. I love my FS HK45, currently waiting on the 45c to come out of ffl jail. Saw it for 705 BNIB shipped to my ffl and couldn't pass up the deal vs 1200 or so from my LGS
More compact than the HK 45? Or a more compact pistol in .45?

I don't have any other Hks, but here's a quick and dirty comparison with a Walther and a SIG

Old June 13, 2017, 07:39 AM   #40
The_Jerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
More compact than the HK 45? Or a more compact pistol in .45?

I don't have any other Hks, but here's a quick and dirty comparison with a Walther and a SIG

I bought my original fs HK45 as more of a winter/home defense/range pistol. The 45c will be my CCW gun when I do my outdoor activities ie hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. While the 45c is a little bit more compact than the full size, I just wish they made a true subcompact pistol. Maybe one day HK will decide to make a peanut gun, but seems we will be waiting a while.

Old June 13, 2017, 11:48 AM   #41
DFM914

H&K makes a quality handgun.I have a P2000 v3 and a HK45c, both outstanding guns and I am a Sig guy at heart.
Old June 13, 2017, 07:09 PM   #42
Arizona Fusilier

Yeah, those P7s were not well-received "back in the day". That was a case of Teutonic ingenuity colliding with American traditionalism.

If they're working out for people now, power to you.
Old June 13, 2017, 08:03 PM   #43
clintpup

I recently shot a USP in 9 (Version 1) and liked how soft it shot (probably because the gun is built like a tank) but I had problems with accuracy that I am going to attribute to the trigger pull. Who knows, maybe it just is different than what I am used to (a Beretta 92). I have heard others complain about the triggers, though, so maybe I am not totally crazy. :-) Anybody else have similar issues?
Old June 13, 2017, 08:42 PM   #44
The_Jerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintpup View Post
I recently shot a USP in 9 (Version 1) and liked how soft it shot (probably because the gun is built like a tank) but I had problems with accuracy that I am going to attribute to the trigger pull. Who knows, maybe it just is different than what I am used to (a Beretta 92). I have heard others complain about the triggers, though, so maybe I am not totally crazy. :-) Anybody else have similar issues?
Let me guess shooting low?

Old June 14, 2017, 08:02 PM   #45
clintpup

I remember it shooting to the left...
Old June 14, 2017, 11:44 PM   #46
The_Jerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintpup View Post
I remember it shooting to the left...
Interesting. I know my HK45 full size is laser beam accurate. Unfortunately myself am not. At least not with a pistol just yet. The USP has ergos of a brick. Much prefer the HK45 as it fits in the hand like it was made for it. May just be the grip on the USP didn't work for you

Old June 17, 2017, 05:39 PM   #47
Ocraknife

I love them and owned 3. For whatever reason, I shoot the HK VP9 more accurately than any pistol I've ever shot.

-Jimro
Old June 17, 2017, 05:46 PM   #48
CalmerThanYou

^^Me too Really happy with mine.
Old June 17, 2017, 06:12 PM   #49
Rob228

Had a USP 45 for a while, but it was just too big for my hands. Always wanted a P7 but other guns just took priority.
Old June 17, 2017, 11:28 PM   #50
brian33x51

Back in the 1994 I shot I think a g41. All I remember about that rifle was that it left distinct thin powder marks along the length of the cases and dented them. A couple of years later I shot a g3 that had reportedly been a police duty rifle. Sweet and smooth. I bought a cetme and later an early production ptr91.

Long story short, I'm getting my ccw renewed after letting it lapse some years ago and both my carry pistols aren't what I consider to be reliable so I grabbed a used HK USP 40c (v1 bobbed hammer?) last month at gander mountain (with their sale). Several hundred rounds, no failures for me, but my 14 yr old daughter had a feed problem (her first day shooting, another long story).

I find I shoot the gun low and there's a LOT of travel on that trigger.