The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 10, 2017, 07:45 AM   #51
chaim

Hmm, ultimatum from the wife...Negotiate..."You are right honey, I should sell some guns to pay off bills. I will only keep one. Now, which pieces of jewelry do you want to sell and which one is the one you are going to keep?" I bet that will work, or, can you tell I've never been married?
Old June 10, 2017, 08:48 AM   #52
Dave T

Mr Pond,

The following advice is worth exactly what you are paying for it! (smile)

Now that we've gotten the disclaimer out of the way...since you have been pleased and successful with your Redhawk I would recommend you keep that one.

I personally would not trust my life to an Astra unless I had no other choice. So, I would recommend you try to find (although it sounds like that has gotten much harder now) a 3" SP-101 and trade off the 9mm and the Astra. If your woods and competition gun is a Redhawk the rather heavy (by most 5-shot 38 cal standards) SP would seem light to you. It would give you a similar gun in design and execution to the RH and I think you would adapt to it quit well.

My deepest sympathy for the restricted circumstances in which you find yourself. Best of luck from the Arizona desert,

Dave
Old June 10, 2017, 02:56 PM   #53
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I personally would not trust my life to an Astra unless I had no other choice. So, I would recommend you try to find (although it sounds like that has gotten much harder now) a 3" SP-101 and trade off the 9mm and the Astra. If your woods and competition gun is a Redhawk the rather heavy (by most 5-shot 38 cal standards) SP would seem light to you. It would give you a similar gun in design and execution to the RH and I think you would adapt to it quit well.
Well, I will leap, firstly, to the Astra's defence.
It's actually a really nice revolver. The fit is good, the lock up too. Accuracy is there as well as a crisp trigger. DA is not bad, but SA is the best I have. There is actually an active thread right now about an acquired 4" Astra 960 (mine is 2.25") and the OP there seemed impressed too.

I've also handled Astra Constable, A60 and A70 autos and they were all really nicely built!

Having said that, I've always liked the SP101 and 3" in a carry revolver is a nice length.

I'd only wonder if the trigger would be as good as the Astra's...

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; June 10, 2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old June 10, 2017, 06:59 PM   #54
larryh1108

Quote:
I personally would not trust my life to an Astra unless I had no other choice.
I think it's safe to say that you don't know that much about certain firearms.
To make a statement like that means you must have some first hand experience with an Astra revolver.
Astra made a very nice revolver. Much better quality than Taurus and Charter Arms as well as many other brands. I would and do trust my life to an Astra without a second thought.
Old June 10, 2017, 07:16 PM   #55
dgludwig

Astra made a lot of nice, well-made firearms; autos as well as revolvers. They lasted for almost 100 years (1908 to 1998) before having to close their doors. Kind of sad, really.
Old June 10, 2017, 09:31 PM   #56
jmr40

A Ruger in 357 mag makes the most sense.

Or just buy better bullets for your 9mm

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...th-9mm-pistol/

Winston Churchill
Old June 12, 2017, 10:10 AM   #57
Dave T

Quote:
I think it's safe to say that you don't know that much about certain firearms.
To make a statement like that means you must have some first hand experience with an Astra revolver.
For ten years I ran my own firearms training business. I taught well over 1000 people (quit keeping track after 1000) and I had a number of students show up with Astras, both revolvers and semi-autos. The revolvers all had terrible DA triggers (I shot a number of them) and the autos were not very functionally reliable, mostly FTF problems.

The OP is fortunate in having a good, reliable Astra. More power to him. I still would not choose an Astra for self defense unless there was no other option. That is based on my own, personal experience.

Dave
Old June 12, 2017, 01:18 PM   #58
dgludwig

Even out of a thousand people I find it incredulous that a "number" of students showed up with Astra revolvers and semi-autos. I attend many shooting events and have done some instructing myself over the past fifty years or so and, maybe because I didn't look hard enough, I cannot recall ever seeing an Astra firearm "on the line" or in the class. Do you live in Spain?
Old June 12, 2017, 04:53 PM   #59
larryh1108

A lot of people (not saying this is true about Dave T) mix Llamas up with the Astras and Star pistols. Maybe all came from Spain about the same time but there is a big difference in quality. The Llama was the "bargain basement" of the 3. They put out a lot of decent pistols but their share of duds certainly earned them a bad reputation. The Star and Astra pistols can hold their own in the gun world.

Last edited by larryh1108; June 12, 2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old June 12, 2017, 07:39 PM   #60
UncleEd

Silliest three page thread I've seen.

Yes, silliest.

And silly are those who posted, me included.
Old June 13, 2017, 07:22 AM   #61
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Yes, silliest.
Why?!

Old June 13, 2017, 06:39 PM   #62
dgludwig

The silliest post of all was post number 60.
Old June 13, 2017, 08:21 PM   #63
Arizona Fusilier

Taurus Judge? That seems to meet your criteria, and cover a few bases.