The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 5, 2017, 10:09 PM   #26
stagpanther

Have fun shooting it! I usually hand-load all my ammo--but for a budget hunting grade ammo I've found hornady's American Whitetail ammo to be surprisingly accurate for such cheap ammo--highly recommend you give it a try.
Old June 5, 2017, 11:34 PM   #27
ninosdemente

Stagpanther,

Thank you for that. I will definitely keep that in mind. I actually just purchased Winchester Super X Power Point, 150 grain. It's a box of 40 for $30. It was on sale, store where I bought it is closing and am planning on going to the range this weekend.
Old June 6, 2017, 03:43 AM   #28
stagpanther

Those winnie power points are nice--I can tell you I have had a hard time whipping up a hand load cartridge that competes well with hornady's whitetail in terms of both accuracy and velocity and uses a basic game dropper like the interloc bullet. They hit it out of the ballbark IMO at a price point that makes it hard for me to spend time and money developing my own deer hunting handloads.
Old July 10, 2017, 08:48 PM   #29
ninosdemente

Is the Vortex® Crossfire II 4-12x50 AO V-Plex Riflescope considered an upgrade scope from what I have at the moment?
Old July 11, 2017, 09:28 AM   #30
brasscollector

I wouldn't consider the crossfire II line an upgrade in terms of quality over a prostaff. You might like the reticle better or perhaps the ergos but in terms of clarity/quality I would say they are about the same. In fact, some of the newer prostaff scopes would be nicer than a crossfire II. The only reason I own any crossfire scopes is due to the fact that the vortex warranty is hard to beat (plus their HQ is about 3/4 mile from my job).
Old July 11, 2017, 11:10 AM   #31
ninosdemente

Brasscollector,

Thanks for the input. Ok, my question now is if that scope can be better off on my Marlin XT-22 (range only, hopefully up to 100yds)? The scope is $119 on sale ($199) and I have actually purchased the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rimfire V-Plex CF2-31001R this past Saturday for the Marlin ($130, haven't opened yet) or just simply stay away from Crossfire II?

I have read people not liking the Crossfire II and some do, but then again everyone prefers one brand over the others. As a beginner I am not aware of problems scopes have or what is not good/what is good about them. Just trying to see what better option there is for both rifles. Thanks again.