The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 22, 2017, 08:15 PM   #51
SauerGrapes

I really didn't research Taurus before I bought a PT709 when they first came out. The gun was a dud from day 1. Jammed every other round. I guess back then they paid shipping. They actually sent a FedEx driver to my house with a box and label no less.
5 weeks later I had it back. It's been perfect ever since. Like some others here I can't recommend them, but I love the 709.
I am sending it to my sister in Fla soon. So use to having that gun, not sure what will replace it.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old May 22, 2017, 10:54 PM   #52
Armed_Chicagoan

I have a TCP which I haven't had any issues with aside from finding spare magazines. Backordered a pair from Taurus, they had no idea how long it would take. Almost forgot about the backorder until about 4 months later a package came with my mags. But they weren't the standard 6 round mags, they were the rare-as-hens-teeth 8 round mags!

So I was happy with that.
Old May 23, 2017, 04:48 PM   #53
PlatinumCore16

Sauer, they still make the Pt709. It also costs a whole heck of a lot less than it used to. And mags are easily obtainable, though not the cheapest.
Old May 23, 2017, 06:33 PM   #54
Prof Young

See more recent post. . .

I have a followup post titled "Taurus makes good." in the semi auto forum.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old May 23, 2017, 07:03 PM   #55
agtman

I agree with the posters who've said Taurus' Q.C. is "hit or miss." I had a model 85 snub nose once that ran fine and shot adequately well.

Then I shot a buddy's more recent Taurus 1911 at the range. "Tried" is actually the more accurate description. The pistol was jam-o-matic junk.

Look, when your Taurus runs fine, it's a "hit." But when it's a "miss," it misses badly, and is therefore junk.

Never keep a junk gun around. Get rid of it.
Old May 28, 2017, 02:19 PM   #56
chaim

I'm not usually a fan of threads that bash XXXX brand. Also, I long was a defender of Taurus. However, I just no longer feel comfortable buying anything from them (people who remember me from 10-15 years ago, especially when I had the only online Taurus fan board at the time, may be doing a double take).

My Taurus history:

My first handgun was a Taurus 82. It was overall a good gun, though sometimes the ejector rod would back out a little after shooting making opening the cylinder difficult. Nothing a little loctite wouldn't fix, but I never got around to it. The DA trigger was a little heavy as well. I ended up selling it when I got my S&W 65LS since at the time I believed I wouldn't own more than 2-4 handguns and I didn't see the use of having 2 medium framed revolvers.

My next Taurus was a 605. No issues, but I found .357mag in a small snub unpleasant so I sold it.

Then I got a Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro, the original DAO version. For a long time it was a good gun for me. When the rear sight came loose and eventually fell off (a common problem) I still wasn't soured and I did some research to find a night sight that would work and paid to have a gunsmith install it since it would take a little modification. That work, and the sight, put my cheap Taurus into $500+ territory, that is how much I liked and trusted this gun.

I'm not sure if the used Taurus 85CH came before or after the PT140. It has been a good gun for me. I'm not a big snub/small framed revolver fan (despite owning 4 small frame snubs) and I've often played with the idea of selling it. Every time, I find an excuse to keep it.

So, four good Taurus handguns and about 2K rounds through the PT140 had me online defending Taurus in all the Taurus bashing threads. I wasn't a fanboy, I acknowledged that they had problems somewhat more frequently than the more expensive brands, but I bought the idea that if you have trouble it will show up immediately and then just send it to Taurus to get fixed.

What changed my mind...

First, my PT140 developed another problem, one that made it unusable. The firing pin gets stuck in the fire position. Luckily it caused rounds to be unable to feed, because if they did then the firing pin would have engaged the primer and it would have fired when I didn't want it to. Eventually I'll get around to sending it in and experiencing Taurus customer service first hand, but I'll never trust it for its intended purpose (CCW/home defense), it is a bit small to be a great range gun, and I won't sell it due to it being a piece of crap. So, I'm in no hurry to spend the money to UPS it just for a gun that will do what it is doing now (sitting in my safe) most of the time.

Then, I saw the class action lawsuits about the polymer guns firing when they shouldn't. Coupled with my firing pin issue, my confidence in Taurus took a blow. Then, there was the settlement with Taurus actually acknowledging the issue. This can be seen two ways: 1) at least they acknowledged it and are doing something about it, or 2) that means there is definitely a design issue with all their polymer guns that they fought doing anything about for about a decade. I took the second way of seeing it. I keep hearing that the G2 guns are different, improved, without any of the issues of previous designs, but I always heard that about every previous generation of Taurus polymer, and each had major flaws, some unfixable enough that they dropped lines altogether for a "new and improved" (the original Millennium for my gen Millennium Pro for instance).

The final blow at around the same time was buying my 2" Rossi 461. Rossi is now made by Taurus, and has been for a while. My 2" 461 had an issue early on where it would totally bind after shooting off a round or two of .357mag. It would work fine with .38spl, but I couldn't get through more than one or two rounds of magnums. I haven't had the problem in a while, but I rarely shoot more than a cylinder or two of magnums anymore so I don't know if it likes the brands I use now, or if I'm just getting lucky. I don't trust it (especially since, from doing some online research, I see that this seems to be a relatively common problem now with Taurus and Rossi revolvers), I rarely shoot anything out of it, and I've never used it for its intended purpose as a carry gun. I also got a 3" which I rarely fire and I'm not sure if I'll ever develop any confidence in it due to the troubles with the 2".

So, I no longer recommend Taurus. When shopping guns, I often look due to their prices, but since that 3" Rossi (which I'm probably going to sell soon) I have not been able to convince myself to buy a Taurus product (both Taurus and Rossi).
Old May 29, 2017, 11:47 AM   #57
lee n. field

Quote:
I'm not usually a fan of threads that bash XXXX brand. Also, I long was a defender of Taurus. However, I just no longer feel comfortable buying anything from them (people who remember me from 10-15 years ago, especially when I had the only online Taurus fan board at the time, may be doing a double take).

My Taurus history:
I'm not done with Taurus, yet. They have some revolvers I might be interested in. I have a 605 that's been very sound. I have a hankering for a .44 Special carry gun. At the affordable end there's Taurus and Charter, and of those two it's a tossup.

I'm indifferent to the Taurus autos. Always have been. There's so much else to pick from.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 29, 2017, 03:25 PM   #58
KevininPa

I had two

Both were 605 snubs. One blued and the other stainless. Blued one was great, I'm sorry I sold it. The stainless went back for repairs. Twice. For the same problem.

The Call
Old May 30, 2017, 10:15 AM   #59
PlatinumCore16

Chaim, looked for that class action suit, google did not help me. Or maybe I'm the idiot, but either way, do you have a link?
I have a PT709 that I used to carry and I haven't recently only because I moved. If they have a problem firing when they shouldn't I'd like to know now before I go back to carrying it all the time. Especially since the Shields are super cheap right now and it would be real easy to replace it.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:55 AM   #60
gbclarkson

I just sold my last Taurus, a model 94. It also recently arrived from the service center due to a stuck extractor. Anyway, I was using it as a trainer for my soon-to-be 10 year old but he could not manage the stiff double action and would tilt the barrel in frighteningly unsafe directions while trying to cock the hammer so I traded it in for a Buckmark.
Old May 30, 2017, 05:41 PM   #61
agtman

Quote:
I just sold my last Taurus, a model 94. It also recently arrived from the service center due to a stuck extractor. Anyway, I was using it as a trainer for my soon-to-be 10 year old but he could not manage the stiff double action and would tilt the barrel in frighteningly unsafe directions while trying to cock the hammer so I traded it in for a Buckmark.
Good gawd, dudenal, never subject a kid to the torture of trying to competently manage a junk firearm. It's junk. Glad to hear you got rid of it, though.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:50 PM   #62
hornetguy

I've had several Taurus guns... an older model 66, sold to try something else, had no real problems with it. Model 85 that was my wife's gun. Had it for 25 years or so. Have a 24/7 Pro in .45 acp that has been flawless, through at least a thousand rounds. Have a PT111 G2 that has been flawless through probably 1200 rounds so far, and a TCP that has required a little tweaking to make it pretty much flawless.

I can't speak to Taurus' customer service, as I've never had to use it.

I've read countless stories about Ruger Super Redhawks blowing the barrel off the frame, and Glocks with all kinds of feed and ejection issues, Smith and Wessons going out of time, and pretty much every other "good" brand with serious functional issues....

but those Taurus's are just junk....
Old May 31, 2017, 01:09 AM   #63
rickyrick

I really liked the 24/7 pro. Several thousand rounds, nary a problem with it.

Lack of holsters kinda got me away from it.
Old June 1, 2017, 04:01 PM   #64
chaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field
I'm not done with Taurus, yet. They have some revolvers I might be interested in. I have a 605 that's been very sound. I have a hankering for a .44 Special carry gun.
Oh, I would consider some of their older revolvers, so if a 450, 445 or 431 (especially the 450 or 431) crossed my path at what I considered a reasonable price I'd jump on it. I doubt I'll ever (certainly not anytime soon) buy any current production Taurus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumCore16
Chaim, looked for that class action suit, google did not help me. Or maybe I'm the idiot, but either way, do you have a link?
I have a PT709 that I used to carry...
If you go to the Taurus USA website, look at the bottom of the site where there are a bunch of links, you will find it there. You can also go directly to it here: https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/

The PT709 is not one of the guns included in the suit...

"If you own one or more of the following “Class Pistols” : PT-111 Millennium; PT-132 Millennium; PT-138 Millennium; PT-140 Millennium; PT-145 Millennium; PT-745 Millennium; PT- 609; PT-640; and PT-24/7 pistols (including the “PRO” series of each of these models), you may be entitled to the settlement benefits below. The settlement does not include Taurus G2 model pistols."
Old June 1, 2017, 04:04 PM   #65
GarandTd

Taurus lawsuit. https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/

I considered a 111 G2 and a pt 809 before settling on something else. I would consider a 709 if I wanted to conceal.

Some people like em, some don't. Im neutral. My opinion is yet to be determined.